X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Failure of the Tea Party...

...and the political mess they left in their wake:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

'In the late summer of 2009, as the recession-ravaged economy bled half a million jobs a month, the country seemed to lose its mind.'
    'Lawmakers accustomed to scheduling town hall meetings where no one would show up suddenly faced shouting crowds of hundreds, some of whom brought a holstered pistol or a rifle slung over the shoulder. One demonstrator at a rally in Maryland hanged a member of Congress in effigy. A popular bumper sticker at the time captured the contempt for the federal bailout of certain homeowners. “Honk if I’m Paying Your Mortgage,” it said.'

'Organizers convened mass gatherings across the country called “tea parties,” and they had a specific set of demands: Stop President Barack Obama’s health care law; tame the national deficit; and don’t let the government decide which parts of the economy are worth rescuing.'

'Ten years since that summer of rage, the ideas that animated the Tea Party movement have been largely abandoned by Republicans under President Trump.
    Trillion-dollar
    deficits are back and on track to keep growing. The Affordable Care Act has never been repealed, and Republicans concede it may never be. When Congress
    approved
    $320 billion in new spending this month as part of its latest budget deal, most Republicans in the Senate voted yes, prompting a
    lament
    from Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, who was first elected in 2010 as a slash-and-burn fiscal conservative.'

'“The Tea Party is no more,” he said.'

'But Mr. Paul and others who have signed the Tea Party’s death certificate overlook one way it continues to define the country today. It ignited a revival of the politics of outrage and mistrust in government, breathing new life into the populist passions that continue to threaten the stability of both political parties. Even if the Tea Party’s ideas are dead, its attitude lives on.'

And good riddance to the Tea Party. You cannot govern effectively by rage. Trump has not found that out yet, and I doubt he has the mental capacity to understand that fact.

How dare Americans be upset at paying more and more in taxes?
    What right do they have to their own money?

I agree that the Tea Party has failed, but the concept of objecting to taxes is valid and entirely American.
    As for “rage”, I don’t seem to recall violence or damage or even garbage being a problem at Tea Party rallies. They were heavily attended by older Americans, as I recall.
    You may want to find better news sources.
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Okay, so an opinion piece in the NYTs says the Tea Party has failed... And?

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
        How dare Americans be upset at paying more and more in taxes?
        Who said the Tea Party movement was about Americans paying less in taxes? The movement was all about corporations paying LESS in taxes. Not the middle class.

What right do they have to their own money?
        Americans have every right to their own money. The TeaParty movement wasn't referring to the middle class.

Many will say it was, that's the propaganda.
        Last edited by inevtiab1e; 31 Aug 19, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          Okay, so an opinion piece in the NYTs says the Tea Party has failed... And?
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

fox-news-cult-58b8f7445f9b58af5cb73549.jpg

Comment

The tea party is not like the American revolutionaries that much is certain. I look at Americans in the tea party and I see people that go against the honor and tradition of our country.

I can’t believe these folks that are part of the tea party I just can’t believe this happened in America. And it was in the words of the tea party that they formed and grew as response to Obama which is wrong because the fact is Obama was a normal president. The tea party people are anti-Americans.

I feel that many Republicans or folks who vote a redline are great Americans but the Republican Party has an issue here and they need to resolve it
              Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
              Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
                Who said the Tea Party movement was about Americans paying less in taxes? The movement was all about corporations paying LESS in taxes. Not the middle class.

Americans have every right to their own money. The TeaParty movement wasn't referring to the middle class.

Many will say it was, that's the propaganda.
                well, if you say so.
                I think that you are confusing an episode of Family Guy with reality.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

well, if you say so.
                  I think that you are confusing an episode of Family Guy with reality.
                  ? You do realize that Taxed Enough Already is a slogan created by billionaires? THEIR taxes, not yours. Look at the recent tax bill, who got the break? Elitists. Not the middle class.

The Tea movement was an astroturf creation of the Koch brothers to dupe republican voters into supporting capitalist policies.

I can't really think of any middle class policies the republican party supports.

Comment

? You do realize that Taxed Enough Already is a slogan created by billionaires? THEIR taxes, not yours. Look at the recent tax bill, who got the break? Elitists. Not the middle class.

The Tea movement was an astroturf creation of the Koch brothers to dupe republican voters into supporting capitalist policies.

I can't really think of any middle class policies the republican party supports.

The TEA party was not the republican party.
                    The fact that you are conflating the 2 doesn't help your point.
                    If the republican party could be relied upon to support conservative values the TEA party would never have existed.

I know the evil Koch bros were able to use their mind control to convince average people to not want the government to take more of their money, but there were some people who actually felt that way on their own.

It is amusing that you would be able to convince yourself that average people don't care about their taxes and that the only way to create opposition to crushing taxes was through AstroTurf organizations.

The fact that groups you don't like may have also benefitted from a tax cut doesn't mean average people don't care about it.

If you are going to rely on the Family Guy for your information at least link the episode

Comment

It most certainly was. Perhaps you should read up on the little twits before posting nonsense such as this.

Comment

The fact that you are conflating the 2 doesn't help your point.
                        If the republican party could be relied upon to support conservative values the TEA party would never have existed.

I know the evil Koch bros were able to use their mind control to convince average people to not want the government to take more of their money, but there were some people who actually felt that way on their own.

It is amusing that you would be able to convince yourself that average people don't care about their taxes and that the only way to create opposition to crushing taxes was through AstroTurf organizations.

The fact that groups you don't like may have also benefitted from a tax cut doesn't mean average people don't care about it.

If you are going to rely on the Family Guy for your information at least link the episode
                        The funny part is the Family Guy is probably a more accurate source of information than radical RW outlets.
                        The TeaParty movement was targeted at 'heartland' Americans. The usual republican base. The elitists want to pay less in taxes, less than they were already paying.

The TeaParty movement is a republican movement. Created by republican elitists to fleece the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

It most certainly was. Perhaps you should read up on the little twits before posting nonsense such as this.

Well, you could always prove me wrong couldn't you.
                          But you haven't. You just disagreed with me.

If the tea party were actually the republican party one wonders why the tea party would have appealed to people in the first place.
                          I mean other than the people who love paying more in taxes that the Kochs forced to go out and protest.

As to your claim they are twits, I will provide some facts

They are better educated than most Americans: 37 percent are college graduates, compared to 25 percent of Americans overall. They also have a higher-than-average household income, with 56 percent making more than $50,000 per year.

More than half (54 percent) identify as Republicans, and another 41 percent say they are independents. Just five percent call themselves Democrats, compared to 31 percent of adults nationwide.
                          https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tea-par...-they-believe/

Last edited by Cambronnne; 01 Sep 19, 13:22.

Comment

The funny part is the Family Guy is probably a more accurate source of information than radical RW outlets.
                            The TeaParty movement was targeted at 'heartland' Americans. The usual republican base. The elitists want to pay less in taxes, less than they were already paying.

The TeaParty movement is a republican movement. Created by republican elitists to fleece the herd.
                            Wow, I am impressed by your use of fact and logic to disprove my point.
                            Wait, you just relied on your prejudices.

I am certain that politicians tried to make use of the Tea party, but it was not created by the republican party.

Are you really suggesting that only the elitists want to pay less in taxes?
                            Either you are not paying any taxes yourself or you are just making crap up to try and defend your prejudices.

Even CBS says you're full of crap.

They are better educated than most Americans: 37 percent are college graduates, compared to 25 percent of Americans overall. They also have a higher-than-average household income, with 56 percent making more than $50,000 per year.

More than half (54 percent) identify as Republicans, and another 41 percent say they are independents. Just five percent call themselves Democrats, compared to 31 percent of adults nationwide.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tea-par...-they-believe/

Comment

Drop the personal comments.
                              If you can't address the post and not the poster, refrain from posting in the thread.
                              Going forward posts failing to meet this simple criteria will be removed and , if necessary, further action will be taken
                              Thank you
                              ACG Staff

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X