Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's wrong with American politics? Everbody's stupid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with American politics? Everbody's stupid!

This past Friday, partisans of all stripes went out of their way to prove that they're all equally stupid. In the afternoon, immigrant advocates demonstrated outside the Port Authority Bus Terminal Greyhound's policy of allowing ICE agents to board their buses and remove suspected illegal immigrants.

Dozens of activists protested Greyhound Bus Lines Friday evening outside the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Protesters are unhappy that Greyhound allows federal immigration officers onto buses to look for undocumented immigrants.

"I am here because Greyhound has a policy of allowing ICE agents on the buses to go through and harass people and take them off the bus," Ann Shirazi told PIX11 News. . . . .

"Protesters target Greyhound for cooperation with ICE," by Allison Kaden, WPIX-11 TV New York News, 24 Aug 2019
    The pertinent fact that the protesters ignored was

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is allowed to board vehicles and boats without a warrant if it is within 100 miles of the border.
    The other pertinent fact is that, since Greyhound's business is interstate travel, it is answerable to the Federal Gov't in virtually all aspects of its operations, ergo, if Greyhound refuses ICE agents entry to its buses as a matter of policy, then the Federal Gov't can suspend or revoke Greyhound's operating licenses. If the immigration advocates have a problem with suspected illegal immigrants being apprehended by Federal agents on Greyhound buses, then the issue lies not with Greyhound's policies, but with the Federal Government's -- and most any child whose completed a seventh grade civics class would know that.

On the other end of the spectrum, however, crass stupidity is equally in evidence.

Again, any junior high schooler can tell you that a President simply can't issue such orders, at least not legally.

President Trump Opens a New Window. ’s demand that U.S. companies look for alternatives other than China Opens a New Window. doing business should not be taken seriously, according to one Nobel Prize winner.

“[H]e can say what he likes, I think they can ignore it,” Oliver Hart told Fox Business' Jon Hilsenrath during "WSJ at Large Opens a New Window. ." “I don’t think they should take it too seriously.”

Hart, a Harvard professor who was the co-recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences in 2016, was reacting to the president's tweet on Friday, in which he blasted China Opens a New Window. for hitting the U.S. with more tariffs.

“Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China," Trump said in the tweet.

“I wouldn’t have thought they need to pay much attention, frankly,” Hart said. “That sounds more like something, you know, made by President Xi in China, if he would order Chinese companies to do it, well, maybe they have to.”

Ken Bertsch, the executive director of the Council of Institutional Investors, a non-profit that focuses on corporate governance, said he feels the same.

“He can say what he wants to, but companies need to have a much broader vision than that,” Bertsch said. “It’s not the role of the president to order companies what to do.”

Hart then added the president really doesn’t the power to order businesses to do anything.

“Unless Congress passes laws on this, I don’t think the president is the one they should be listening to,” he said. “I think they could be, again, sort of thinking to themselves what would our owners want on this?” . . . .

"Can Trump order American companies to stop doing business with China?," Fox Business News, 24 Aug 2019
    A sitting President just can't order US companies to cease doing business in foreign countries -- not without some serious administrative and/or legislative action first. The People's Republic of China has NOT been declared any kind of terrorist state by the US State Dept, or the US Defense Dept, or the US Commerce Dept, or the US Justice Dept, or the US Congress -- nor has there been a declaration of war against the PRC.

Regardless of the stated affiliations of the partisans in question, the debate these days comes across like this:

Two ignoramouses screaming their lungs out at each other, accusing each other of being intolerant ignoramouses: that's what politics sounds like these days. And finding an innocent party is getting damned near impossible. From 'most any point on the political spectrum, stupid is drowning out everything else. So the more time one spends shouting to the world how stupid Trump is, or how stupid his critics are, proves only how stupid the partisan is -- and I'd have to be pretty damned stupid to take any of them seriously.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Donald Trump needs to make a few adjustments. Any Democrat or Republican that criticizes representative Omar or Talib need to change their views because Omar and Talib are like me and the original poster they are blue-collar people hard-working Americans and they deserve to be respected

All in all we need to make some improvements in America but compared to all the other countries of the world we are doing OK
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Here's a classic example of what I'm talking about.

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
      Donald Trump needs to make a few adjustments. Any Democrat or Republican that criticizes representative Omar or Talib need to change their views because Omar and Talib are like me and the original poster they are blue-collar people hard-working Americans and they deserve to be respected

All in all we need to make some improvements in America but compared to all the other countries of the world we are doing OK
      - emphasis mine

"Any Democrat or Republican that criticizes representative Omar or Talib need to change their views . . . . " Is that a blanket condemnation of all criticisms of Reps Omar and Talib? Are you suggesting that those two esteemed members of Congress are incapable of saying something so patently stupid that they should be considered beyond reproach? Are you advocating for an alteration in the First Amendment, that we can criticize anyone we please -- except your favored Congresswomen? Nobody put a gun to Reps Omar's and Talib's heads compelling them to enter into politics. They jumped into public life knowing full-well that they'd be on the receiving end of all kinds of criticisms, fair and unfair alike. Hey, it was true when Harry Truman said back in the day, and it's still true today: "if you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen."

Comment

A few!??

Define 'OK.'

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          (…) Hey, it was true when Harry Truman said back in the day, and it's still true today: "if you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen."
          According to an anonymous source close to White House, he silently added, "…....and if you're in the kitchen anyway, then at least fetch me a beer, woman."

Great president, that Truman

Three things ruin a man power, money, and women. I never wanted power. I never had any money, and the only woman in my life is up at the house right now.
          https://www.quotes.net/quote/3056
          Last edited by Snowygerry; 26 Aug 19, 10:35.
          Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

Not true. In fact, these two Muslim females are anti-American to the core, pro-sharia and have publicly stated that every American male should be made a slave to true Muslims.

Omar in particular makes no secret of lying to enter America in the first place, and even declared her brother as her husband to do so. She does not in any way represent anything on behalf of those "blue collar hard working Americans" you spoke of.

By your statement, you obviously align with their views. That is your privilege, but remember that your privilege was paid for by a lot of Americans who don't share your views, but died so that you could have them.

Nothing is free, especially to those who never pay anything to begin with.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Not true. In fact, these two Muslim females are anti-American to the core, pro-sharia and have publicly stated that every American male should be made a slave to true Muslims. . . . .
              Have you a source for that, sir? I thank you in advance.

Comment

Here's a classic example of what I'm talking about.

- emphasis mine

"Any Democrat or Republican that criticizes representative Omar or Talib need to change their views . . . . " Is that a blanket condemnation of all criticisms of Reps Omar and Talib? Are you suggesting that those two esteemed members of Congress are incapable of saying something so patently stupid that they should be considered beyond reproach? Are you advocating for an alteration in the First Amendment, that we can criticize anyone we please -- except your favored Congresswomen? Nobody put a gun to Reps Omar's and Talib's heads compelling them to enter into politics. They jumped into public life knowing full-well that they'd be on the receiving end of all kinds of criticisms, fair and unfair alike. Hey, it was true when Harry Truman said back in the day, and it's still true today: "if you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen."
                Well You made a thread and I responded directly to the thread. To each their own. I made the point that Omar is pro American she like Talib is blue collared.

Far more so than Trump, Omar and Talib are wrongly criticized by the media and radio while I believe most Americans would love to meet a great American like Omar and Talib

That’s another issue with the media outlets at times they time try and drive unfair viewpoints or drive some sort of a anti-American discussion like The wrong idea that Omar was some sort of a bigot. There are a few Republican and Democratic congressman who do not represent the American people by insulting Omar And Talib

Omar and Talib Consistently make pro American comments so they should be praised

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Not true. In fact, these two Muslim females are anti-American to the core, pro-sharia and have publicly stated that every American male should be made a slave to true Muslims.

Omar in particular makes no secret of lying to enter America in the first place, and even declared her brother as her husband to do so. She does not in any way represent anything on behalf of those "blue collar hard working Americans" you spoke of.

By your statement, you obviously align with their views. That is your privilege, but remember that your privilege was paid for by a lot of Americans who don't share your views, but died so that you could have them.

Nothing is free, especially to those who never pay anything to begin with.
                  Why not like practically all Muslims and Christians do say the proper sharia and canon law stands for equal rights for all. I would never agree with a Muslim bigot who says sharia law is about intolerance. I would never agree with a Christian bigot who claims the Bible support slavery

It’s some GOP that are trying to divide the people like me and you . But also there’s a few Democrats and Republicans that every day are misrepresenting who Omar and Talib are

In fact Omar is pro LGBT that will get her thrown off a roof by Isil. Omar is beautiful and Talib has a Father who worked for Ford motor company just like my dad did so that is so beautiful and that is as American as it gets. That’s why Talib gets support from the American people it’s because She comes from the same cut as do so many hard-working middle-class Americans

Omar and Talib are middle-class and working class politicians so they represent the people

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

A few!??

Define 'OK.'
                    The most important point is I voted for Hillary Clinton. So that should provide you some rest here

Our country is doing OK because of the fact that our military is still number one and Our economy s all right but we certainly could improve

George S Patton

Comment

Well You made a thread and I responded directly to the thread.
                      And I'm glad that you did: you furnished an object example of what I was talking about. You said that American citizens should not criticize Reps Omar and Talib. That's frankly unAmerican -- and you should know that. Had you said that some of those criticisms were unfair, or factually incorrect, then I'd have no problem with what you said. What you said, however, was that those two Congresswomen should not be criticized -- end of sentence. Within the context of US politics, that's patently absurd, and more than worthy of derision.

Far more so than Trump, Omar and Talib are wrongly criticized by the media and radio while I believe most Americans would love to meet a great American like Omar and Talib

That’s another issue with the media outlets at times they time try and drive unfair viewpoints or drive some sort of a anti-American discussion like The wrong idea that Omar was some sort of a bigot. There are a few Republican and Democratic congressman who do not represent the American people by insulting Omar And Talib
                      That's your opinion, to which you're most definitely entitled -- but to suggest that two political figures should be held beyond criticism, is, within the context of US political tradition and constitutional law, laughably stupid. They chose to throw their hats into the ring, therefore they're going to be the targets of fair and unfair criticism alike. The only way to avoid that is to withdraw from public life.

Comment

Well You made a thread and I responded directly to the thread. To each their own. I made the point that Omar is pro American she like Talib is blue collared.
                        Neither of them is "blue collar." Neither held any meaningful employment as wage labor. Both went to college directly from high school. Omar got a worthless BA in political science. Tlaib got a BA in political science then got a law degree but never practiced.
                        Tlaib went straight into politics from college. She has ZERO real world experience. Outside of politics she's been essentially a useless community organizer / activist of the sort the radical Left fawns upon.
                        Omar is the same way. She graduated college and within a year was elected to local office. Since then, she's been in politics continuously. No real world experience. She's just another bobble-headed radical Leftist without a clue.

Yea, I'd like to meet them-- not that it'd do any good since they wouldn't listen anyway-- and tell both of them what complete 'tards they are for being radical Leftists. Tell them how their policies (in detail) would destroy the US, like the idiot New Green Deal and how their own experience basically leaves them totally incapable of understanding the complexities of anything more than empty rhetoric.
                        I've listened and watched Omar questioning members of the Trump administration on various things as part of her being on the house foreign affairs committee. She's vacuous. In one case she offered a rambling diatribe with her time. In another, she kept asking irrelevant "gotcha" questions trying to embarrass the witness rather than using her time to do anything productive.

That's another issue with the media outlets at times they time try and drive unfair viewpoints or drive some sort of a anti-American discussion like The wrong idea that Omar was some sort of a bigot. There are a few Republican and Democratic congressman who do not represent the American people by insulting Omar And Talib

Omar and Talib Consistently make pro American comments so they should be praised
                        Omar is a bigot. That's been pretty well covered in other threads here with ample proof of it. Omar was censured by her own party for her rampant anti-Semitism. There's her quote about 9/11 where she says "...some people did something..." She got thoroughly blasted by the public for that comment.
                        Or this gem:
                        "Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel,"

It's pretty clear from that she has taken sides in the Middle East and with her other statements about Palestine and Israel sides with the Palestinian terrorists like Hamas, Islamic Jihad, or the PLO.

She's your typical America hating radical Leftist. When she was still in local politics she described herself as an "Intersectional feminist."

http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2017/j...ota-state-rep/

Here's a video full of ad hominems, blatant lies, and hate:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9DGq7_1563306939

She can't even properly read the notes she has. I truly believe she's a mediocre intellect who spent much of her life growing up being seeped in radical Leftist ideas she now holds as the only truths there are.

Show me any evidence she's really tried to do anything for her home district in Minnesota, often described as the most having the greatest wealth disparity in the US.

I don't see Tlaib as quite as radical as Omar. Tlaib is still on the far Left and by no means someone I'd respect, but she's not nearly as bad as Omar.

Comment

Here's another example of something passed off as fact that is patently, demonstrably false.

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          If the Democrats are running a Progressive Leftist, Socialist, expand-the-government, tax and spend uber liberal, which appears to be the case, then I'm voting for their opponent however loathsome they may be because the last thing you want running the country is a Progressive Leftist, Socialist, expand-the-government, tax and spend uber liberal.
                          They'll tank the economy, create a national maliase of social unrest, and basically screw everything up for decades afterwards, just like Obama did.
                          - emphasis mine

After the end of the 2007-2009 recession, US year-on-year GDP growth rebounded to its post-WW2 norm of 1-3% per annum. Obama's economic record isn't out of line with Reagan, Geo HW Bush, Clinton, or Trump, give or take a couple of percentage points. In terms of GDP per capita, the news is much the same:

While median income has remained flat since the latter stages of the Clinton administration, GDP per capita has grown in linear fashion since Reagan's days, excepting the '08 Recession, of course.

In short, whatever the Obama administration's failings -- which I grant are legion -- the economy did not tank 2009-20017, but actually grew linearly within the parameters of post-WW2 norms. The contention is not just demonstrably false, but its author -- being an amply proven educated and mathematically capable citizen in good standing -- laid out a real whopper that he almost certainly knew to be false before he even put finger to keyboard. Say what you will, but that's not stupid. That's something else.

Sorry TAG, I love ya, but I gotta put the spotlight on you. If I didn't I'd across as a rank hypocrite. Why would you say something that you know in advance isn't true? There are other, real hard-on partisans, from whom I'd expect that kind of thing -- but not you. You're too damned intelligent. Perhaps your passions just get the better of your otherwise impressive body of knowledge?

Comment

Why not like practically all Muslims and Christians do say the proper sharia and canon law stands for equal rights for all. I would never agree with a Muslim bigot who says sharia law is about intolerance. I would never agree with a Christian bigot who claims the Bible support slavery

It’s some GOP that are trying to divide the people like me and you . But also there’s a few Democrats and Republicans that every day are misrepresenting who Omar and Talib are

In fact Omar is pro LGBT that will get her thrown off a roof by Isil. Omar is beautiful and Talib has a Father who worked for Ford motor company just like my dad did so that is so beautiful and that is as American as it gets. That’s why Talib gets support from the American people it’s because She comes from the same cut as do so many hard-working middle-class Americans

Omar and Talib are middle-class and working class politicians so they represent the people
                            Again, not true. Slavery has historical been primarily the purview of the Democrats, who have always supported it.

Likewise, Omar's hatred for America is openly displayed and not open to debate. Her stated objective is the overthrow of the American social structure, nothing less.

And for the third time, also not true: Omar and Tlaib do NOT represent working class Americans, only Muslim beliefs and objectives.

Therefore, by analysis of your supporting comments, you also support their anti-American objectives, which, since I spent 20 years of my life defending America, leaves you and I with absolutely nothing to discuss any further.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

In short, whatever the Obama administration's failings -- which I grant are legion -- the economy did not tank 2009-20017, but actually grew linearly within the parameters of post-WW2 norms. The contention is not just demonstrably false, but its author -- being an amply proven educated and mathematically capable citizen in good standing -- laid out a real whopper that he almost certainly knew to be false before he even put finger to keyboard. Say what you will, but that's not stupid. That's something else.

Sorry TAG, I love ya, but I gotta put the spotlight on you. If I didn't I'd across as a rank hypocrite. Why would you say something that you know in advance isn't true? There are other, real hard-on partisans, from whom I'd expect that kind of thing -- but not you. You're too damned intelligent. Perhaps your passions just get the better of your otherwise impressive body of knowledge?
                              But, the reason it tanked at all was largely due to Democrats deregulating the mortgage industry to allow "the poor" to buy homes. Instead of that happening what you got were middle class people buying more home than they could afford, or trying to become big fish in the real estate pond.
                              Interest only, ARM, zero down, dollar down mortgages, among others became common leading up to that crash. Worse, second and third mortgages were tacked on. Often the people doing this had little or no personal investment in any of this so it was all cash / credit.
                              Now, I don't blame Obama for any of that. It all preceded him in office. What I do blame on him is the recovery. He tried Keynesian economics as the solution. That is the government borrow heavily, bail out companies, and dump money into the economy. Only his version was all credit card and down the drain spending for the most part.
                              The Frank-Dodd act on trying to fix the mortgage and credit industry was by the same Congressional morons that caused the problem to begin with. That happened on Obama's watch, but it really isn't his fault other than he had zero input and leadership in crafting that legislation (as usual).

So, what I do blame Obama for is the worst recovery from a serious economic downturn since the great depression. Yes, the economy did recover. It always does. But, everything Obama did obstructed that recovery, not aided it. It was the wrong time to push the "Green" economy for example.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X