Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Terrible 'Idea'...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Terrible 'Idea'...

    This is yet another example of the stupidity Trump continuously displays:

    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...paign=msn_feed

    'A report about President Trump suggesting the use of nuclear bombs to prevent hurricanes from hitting the United States received a stormy reaction from meteorologists and weather experts on Sunday.'

    '"Over my 35 years as a meteorologist I have received calls & handwritten letters from people proposing this. I gently try to explain to them that according to @NASA a hurricane can expend as much energy as 10,000 nuclear bombs during its life cycle. Futile and obviously dangerous," John Morales, a chief meteorologist at NBC 6 in Miami, tweeted.'

  • #2
    A swell way to add nuclear contamination to the storm damage
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49471093
    We've got Bojo you've got Bozo
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

    Comment


    • #3
      More Fake News...
      {}

      "Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
        More Fake News...
        Really? I suggest that if you want to brush off material that clearly demonstrates that Trump is an idiot and it is supported in the article, that you post something that negates it. Using the term 'fake news' is nothing but ignorance. However, since Trump wallows in ignorance I am not surprised that those that support him support that 'concept' also.

        Comment


        • #5
          Seems based on this report :

          https://www.axios.com/trump-nuclear-...cf0e3f51c.html

          The idea keeps resurfacing in the public even though scientists agree it won't work. The myth has been so persistent that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the U.S. government agency that predicts changes in weather and the oceans, published an online fact sheet for the public under the heading "Tropical Cyclone Myths Page."
          https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html

          Now for a more rigorous scientific explanation of why this would not be an effective hurricane modification technique. The main difficulty with using explosives to modify hurricanes is the amount of energy required. A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes. According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.

          If we think about mechanical energy, the energy at humanity's disposal is closer to the storm's, but the task of focusing even half of the energy on a spot in the middle of a remote ocean would still be formidable. Brute force interference with hurricanes doesn't seem promising
          .
          Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
            More Fake News...
            some of the anti-trump threads are so ridiculous as to not warrant a response!
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

              some of the anti-trump threads are so ridiculous as to not warrant a response!
              I guess this one isn't as you 'responded.'

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Massena View Post
                This is yet another example of the stupidity Trump continuously displays:
                Even CNN is having problems with verifying the Axios report:

                In an early Monday tweet, Trump denied the Axios' report, claiming that he "never said" what was in it. CNN has not been able to independently verify the report.

                https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/26/polit...nes/index.html
                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Imagine that. And one has to wonder how deep of a dive you've got to take into the realm of taking everything literally to see these things. I'm wondering if during a BS session someone said 'why don't we just nuke hurricanes' and suddenly this becomes leading news. Because obviously a President is not allowed to say anything that's not one hundred percent serious or literal at all times. If there is even anything to this whatsoever, as it's just an unconfirmed rumour at this point. Vast difference between a rumour and a policy suggestion.......
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                    Imagine that. And one has to wonder how deep of a dive you've got to take into the realm of taking everything literally to see these things. I'm wondering if during a BS session someone said 'why don't we just nuke hurricanes' and suddenly this becomes leading news. Because obviously a President is not allowed to say anything that's not one hundred percent serious or literal at all times. If there is even anything to this whatsoever, as it's just an unconfirmed rumour at this point. Vast difference between a rumour and a policy suggestion.......
                    Irrelevant - given his position in the world it's worrying when he says something so bone headily stupid
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MarkV View Post

                      Irrelevant - given his position in the world it's worrying when he says something so bone headily stupid
                      It appears that he didn't say it.....even CNN is questioned the validity of the article.
                      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Nichols View Post

                        It appears that he didn't say it.....even CNN is questioned the validity of the article.


                        Why let the truth get in the way?
                        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

                        Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MarkV View Post

                          Irrelevant - given his position in the world it's worrying when he says something so bone headily stupid
                          It is relevant if fake news throws out any BS and people run with it. Maybe Trump never said it, or maybe Trump asked if there was any validity to suggestions made by OTHER, but no.........."It must be true because Trump is an idiot".

                          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                          Prayers.

                          BoRG

                          http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Nichols View Post

                            Even CNN is having problems with verifying the Axios report:

                            In an early Monday tweet, Trump denied the Axios' report, claiming that he "never said" what was in it. CNN has not been able to independently verify the report.

                            https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/26/polit...nes/index.html
                            I read the article that you referred to in your posting. Where does it state that CNN 'is having problems with verifying the Axios report'? Trump denying something is not credible as he lies continuously.

                            Try again...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Salinator View Post

                              It is relevant if fake news throws out any BS and people run with it. Maybe Trump never said it, or maybe Trump asked if there was any validity to suggestions made by OTHER, but no.........."It must be true because Trump is an idiot".
                              Prove the CNN article false, then.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X