US Steel Layoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Steel Layoffs

So much for the steel industry comeback. US Steel is laying off 200 people at the Great Lakes Works and "adjusting" production at the Gary Works (their largest).

Loss of revenues due to increased export restrictions from the other side of recent trade wars?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

First, the farmers are hurt by the tariffs, now US Steel. Who's next? Consumers?
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

I heard that US Steel got greedy when tariffs were enacted and raised their prices and it was still cheaper for manufacturers to buy foreign. It was hearsay but the person was in the industry.

Comment

Thatís too bad to hear. Hopefully they got some kind of package as well as another job that pays the same if not more
          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

According to the more objective reports I read, this is due to a decline in US steel sales. US Steel is temporarily shutting down two blast furnaces along with one in Europe. This comes after a year of expansion in which market sales didn't rise as expected.

https://marketrealist.com/2019/08/us...ump-listening/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us...ort-2019-08-19

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              According to the more objective reports I read, this is due to a decline in US steel sales. US Steel is temporarily shutting down two blast furnaces along with one in Europe. This comes after a year of expansion in which market sales didn't rise as expected.

https://marketrealist.com/2019/08/us...ump-listening/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us...ort-2019-08-19
              That was my whole point. The whole "tariffs will save the US steel industry line" never happened.

Comment

You know your kitchen folks well the pots and pans are are made of steel and they should be made of American steel. The pan I just got is made in America , says right on the pan heavyweight steel. So itís nice to see we still make some of our steel.

Without a high number of steel, auto or middle class jobs the country is at risk of becoming more violent , we will see more and more divorces , financial crisis and a society where greed and anti Americanism take hold. Even tucker Carlson on fox points out the downfall of the Us middle class. Folks think about it, this is an issue the media does not always cover that is the downfall of the American middle class and with that a higher and higher divorce rate along with so many kids born it of wedlock and born into poverty. People here in there 60s and 70s grew up in a much better country compared to young men and women that are growing up today. The hope is we can have a pro American leader to take hold of our country
                Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 23 Aug 19, 10:28.
                Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Well, a good part of that is us, and in particular teachers, telling kids they must go to college to get a good job. There is no longer the pipeline in schools that prepares kids that aren't college material for the trades. There are post high school technical schools that are often just cash generators for their owners rather than quality trade schools.

So, what we're ending up with many times are people with a useless liberal arts degree in something, heavily in debt for getting it, who drive cabs, are shift managers at Walgreens, and the like when a good solid high school education would have served them just fine.

Those that couldn't manage some easy college degree end up at the bottom of that heap stuck near minimum wage for life.

Comment

Well, a good part of that is us, and in particular teachers, telling kids they must go to college to get a good job. There is no longer the pipeline in schools that prepares kids that aren't college material for the trades. There are post high school technical schools that are often just cash generators for their owners rather than quality trade schools.

So, what we're ending up with many times are people with a useless liberal arts degree in something, heavily in debt for getting it, who drive cabs, are shift managers at Walgreens, and the like when a good solid high school education would have served them just fine.

Those that couldn't manage some easy college degree end up at the bottom of that heap stuck near minimum wage for life.
                    The problem is the whole university "industry". Many jobs that you didn't have to have a degree in the old days, today you do. I understand engineering, medical and the like, but here are a few examples...
                    My older brother just retired as a captain at Delta Airlines. He joined the Army WOFT program right out of high school. He became a helicopter pilot and then got his fixed wing license. He ended up with Northwest Airlines. When they merged with Delta, he was grandfathered in because Delta requires a Bachelors degree. Why? What does a 4 year degree in anything help you fly a plane. All it takes is intelligence and aptitude.
                    Back in 1986, I had my first shoulder operation. Back then, physical therapists only needed an Associate or Bachelor degree. Now they want them to have Doctorates.
                    Why does every military officer need a 4 year degree? I can understand the engineers, etc., but what does having an English Lit degree have to do with being a combat arms officer? Many countries don't require it. Even Sandhurst is less than a year long and requires no degree.
                    TAG, you probably know more about this than I, but aren't USN enlisted reactor people just (very intelligent) high school grads with added courses focused on their actual job?

Comment

I like to say the Navy's nuclear power program is Get your associate's degree in nuclear engineering in six months because the classroom portion is really just about that.
                      But, I've run into situations more than once in the Navy where you have enlisted, particularly reservists, who are far far more qualified than their active duty counterparts and far better educated too.

For example:

A first class sonar tech I worked with was the program manager for Tomahawk missiles at Raytheon.
                      A chief boiler tech was a mechanical engineer with a master's
                      Or, a second class electronics technician that was an engineer.
                      A first class machinery repairman who was an instrument maker for Raytheon.
                      Another 1st class MR who was a machinist at Kitt Peak National Observatory

I think the funniest one was a LTjg who was an academy grad telling me and several other Chief's about how we missed out on the broadening experience of college... That flew for about a New York second. Turned out most of us Chief's had more college than he did...

The problem the military has is it's still mired in the 1940's in terms of expectations of people by rank. In some areas, this is likely still the case, particularly in low skill jobs, but when you deal with technicians and people who have skilled jobs that model doesn't hold anymore.

Comment

There's a common problem among the current crop of college grads. They wasted their student loan on unacredited colleges. Now they want that college debt forgiven because they made dumb decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post

There's a common problem among the current crop of college grads. They wasted their student loan on unacredited colleges. Now they want that college debt forgiven because they made dumb decisions.
                          More to the point, they made bad economic decisions. I spent 6 years in the military and got as part of that deal my college paid for. That was a deal I made with my employer. If you want to go to college on a credit card, be aware of the eventual consequences of that.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post

That was my whole point. The whole "tariffs will save the US steel industry line" never happened.
                            But aren't trade wars easy to win?
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

But aren't trade wars easy to win?
                              Can you think of an example of such, an easily won trade war? I can't.
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X