This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

YES and we still find him totally disgusting lacking any positive characteristics

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

You mean like Obama did?
      Yes. The same thing that was bad then is now suddenly ok.

I have never supported Obama's growth of government or Obama in general. It is not my views that have changed with the President.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

The military history prof at the U of A and I became good friends. He had me guest lecture his class more than once as well.

But, with regard to your story, my best one had to be in astronomy. I took it as a filler elective as like a junior or senior. You had to have 12 credit hours minimum to get the full GI Bill payment and you usually couldn't get all those as courses you really needed. So, having already taken a bunch of other science courses, I figured astronomy would be fun and an easy A.

The prof figured me out as a ringer PDQ and in his office he told me I'd get an A if I tutored the other students and acted as an unofficial teaching assistant...
        Anyway, one of the homework assignments included a problem where you had to figure out the age of the Earth from the half life of uranium. I read the problem, whipped out my chart of the nuclides to get the number and did the problem. Didn't even think about any of that.
        Next class the rest of the students (mostly liberal arts majors who were struggling through this "hard" course) were all upset. Turned out that the half life of uranium wasn't in the textbook and not one of some 70+ students (other than me) had the sense to look it up somewhere else. The prof asked if anyone did the problem. I sheepishly admitted I had. He got the 'real' TA he had to run copies of my chart of the nuclides (it was like a one page sheet with the important elements for fission and fusion on it) and hand it out to the rest of the class. Even then he, and later I had to point out on the chart where the number was. Uranium has like a dozen isotopes and you use U238 for the number.
        That class was a real hoot. It made me realize more than any other that most liberal arts majors were idiots. I had to show a bunch after class how to do precession of planets using math rather than algebra or trig. Yes, there is a way that involves no more than simple equations you can easily grasp, it's just heavily repetitive. You get an answer through brute force rather than elegance.
        Another time he made me relate a story about the Enterprise losing a plane to show a student that the Bermuda Triangle was BS (he was heavy into debunking stuff like that and was the head of the Tucson skeptic's society-- got to see the Amazing Randy in person because of him).

By the end of that class I was just slack jawed at how utterly stupid and vapid liberal arts students were.

Hmmm

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner
        Yes, California is #1 in population and GDP (39,776,830-- $2,746,873 millions) versus Arizona being #14 in pop and #21 in GDP (7,530,552 -- $319,850 millions)

But, when you divide population by GDP to get the GDP per person in the state.... Arizona gets $23.54 versus California's $14.48. That is, Arizona is nearly TWICE as productive as California. No wonder... Between massive regulations, high taxes, and a large population on welfare, California isn't very productive for its massive size
        Yeah, you are real smart........

Thank you to the person who PM'ed this excerpt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jutland View Post

Hmmm

Thank you to the person who PM'ed this excerpt.

Comment

Nah, it's presenting evidence.

How is me posting a past statement made by you an insult?

Sorry
            Last edited by Jutland; 25 Aug 19, 17:12.

Comment

Nah, it's presenting evidence.

How is me posting a past statement made by you an insult?

Sorry
              It's an insult because you used it as a substitute to furthering the discussion in this thread. That makes it an attack on your 'opponent' rather than a rebuttal or position statement on the subject at hand.
              Is nothing but snark and snark directed at another poster is an ad hominem.

Thus, pointing out an irrelevant and long dead math error I made amounts to the worst sort of ad hominem. It amounts to Poisoning the well. Your snark amounts to an Abuse fallacy in that it directly attacks me.

Comment

It's an insult because you used it as a substitute to furthering the discussion in this thread. That makes it an attack on your 'opponent' rather than a rebuttal or position statement on the subject at hand.

Is nothing but snark and snark directed at another poster is an ad hominem.

Thus, pointing out an irrelevant and long dead math error I made amounts to the worst sort of ad hominem. It amounts to Poisoning the well. Your snark amounts to an Abuse fallacy in that it directly attacks me.
                Maths, it's 'maths'... And economics.... And common sense.

So wagh wagh princess!

Comment

Maths, it's 'maths'... And economics.... And common sense.

So wagh wagh princess!
                  You're going to get tossed out of the game at this rate:

Comment

You're going to get tossed out of the game at this rate:

Yawn, just giving the kids at home context.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X