This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump forgives all disabled veteran student loan debt

Here's something way positive Trump just did.

Student loan debt held by disabled veterans will be forgiven under an order signed Wednesday by President Donald Trump.

Trump said the order would direct the Department of Education to "eliminate every penny of federal student loan debt" owed by American veterans who are completely and permanently disabled.

"There will be no federal income tax on the forgiven debts," Trump said, saying he'll also ask states to waive their taxes on the loans. America, he said, owes its heroes "a supreme debt of gratitude."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...cid=spartandhp

Yes, it was by executive order since Congress is moribund over everything except pillorying Trump, much like the MSM is.

For those with TDS let the spin begin!

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Yes, it was by executive order since Congress is moribund over everything
    Right. Why even have congress. Just allow the President to do as he wishes.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

I thought federal student loans were already forgiven for disability.

Maybe more to the point, how screwed up is the system that requires a disabled vet to take out a loan, instead of just providing the education in the first place.

Comment

By offering guaranteed student loans the Feds are artificially raising up the cost of college. It is similar to how Medicare drove up the price of health care. When I went back to college in the mid 1990's I drove my college financial aid department crazy. I applied for grants and loans, yet the state of Louisiana paid for my books and tuition! They were not used to cutting a check for a student! I then asked after mid semester why they did not give me a student job I applied for and some little student worker looked me in the eye and said it was because my grades might fall before the semester ended! Well they did change! They went up and I made Dean's list!

The next semester I was given the run around again and I did not stop at the head of the Department. I wrote to the President of the school and he told his Vice President to fix it! They sure were glad when I graduated!

The whole system is screwed up!

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          By offering guaranteed student loans the Feds are artificially raising up the cost of college. It is similar to how Medicare drove up the price of health care. When I went back to college in the mid 1990's I drove my college financial aid department crazy. I applied for grants and loans, yet the state of Louisiana paid for my books and tuition! They were not used to cutting a check for a student! I then asked after mid semester why they did not give me a student job I applied for and some little student worker looked me in the eye and said it was because my grades might fall before the semester ended! Well they did change! They went up and I made Dean's list!

The next semester I was given the run around again and I did not stop at the head of the Department. I wrote to the President of the school and he told his Vice President to fix it! They sure were glad when I graduated!

The whole system is screwed up!

Pruitt
          When I went it was much the same. I went on the GI Bill and got a big check every month to do what I wanted with. Yea, it was supposed to pay for college, but there were no checks or restrictions on that.
          So, at the beginning of each semester I'd fill out paperwork that deferred all book and tuition costs for 90 days (Arizona state law). The funny part of that was you'd go to this counter with a sign above it "Veterans." Next station down was one for "Athletes." There'd usually be a worker from the university helping some athlete fill out their paperwork at that station. At the veteran station you got handed this pile of forms and told "Fill these out. Sign them. Let me know when you're done..." Yep, just like the military...

90 days later you'd pay off your tuition and books in full and that was that.

I also liked that unlike most college students I had zero fear / trepidation about professors and grades. They couldn't bully me for an instant unlike the usual mouth breathers.
          For example, in this geography class I had to take (it was mandatory), the TA tried to tell me that London wasn't a port. I brought in photos I'd taken of the sign saying "Port of London" and asked him-- in front of the class (nothing like fronting a pompous zero off in front of the rest of the enlisted so-to-speak)-- how the hell I could go to the Port of London if it didn't f***ing exist?
          That class was a waste of my time, and I said so to more than one university official. My advisor got where she'd just say "that's the rules..." I could tell she was uncomfortable having a student who didn't fit in the round hole to advise... Especially when I'd say loudly something like "That's the most retarded thing I've heard in at least a year!" Nothing like having been trained as a senior NCO.

Comment

I took Military History one semester and the Head of the Department taught it. It was full of 19 year old's and a few ex service men. The good Doctor and I were bouncing ideas to each other and I heard a plaintive wail from the back of the class, "None of this is in the Book! Why can't we talk about what is in the book!?". I had a couple more classes with an older Doctor who was trying to teach us off a set of video tapes. I gave him some war game reference sheets that listed the thickness of armor and penetration of armor by the different antitank guns. He still has them! I made a 105 on my take home final! He gave me a nice note on it about how he enjoyed having me in his class and he had learned a lot!

I had a blast!

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              I took Military History one semester and the Head of the Department taught it. It was full of 19 year old's and a few ex service men. The good Doctor and I were bouncing ideas to each other and I heard a plaintive wail from the back of the class, "None of this is in the Book! Why can't we talk about what is in the book!?". I had a couple more classes with an older Doctor who was trying to teach us off a set of video tapes. I gave him some war game reference sheets that listed the thickness of armor and penetration of armor by the different antitank guns. He still has them! I made a 105 on my take home final! He gave me a nice note on it about how he enjoyed having me in his class and he had learned a lot!

I had a blast!

Pruitt
              The military history prof at the U of A and I became good friends. He had me guest lecture his class more than once as well.

But, with regard to your story, my best one had to be in astronomy. I took it as a filler elective as like a junior or senior. You had to have 12 credit hours minimum to get the full GI Bill payment and you usually couldn't get all those as courses you really needed. So, having already taken a bunch of other science courses, I figured astronomy would be fun and an easy A.

The prof figured me out as a ringer PDQ and in his office he told me I'd get an A if I tutored the other students and acted as an unofficial teaching assistant...
              Anyway, one of the homework assignments included a problem where you had to figure out the age of the Earth from the half life of uranium. I read the problem, whipped out my chart of the nuclides to get the number and did the problem. Didn't even think about any of that.
              Next class the rest of the students (mostly liberal arts majors who were struggling through this "hard" course) were all upset. Turned out that the half life of uranium wasn't in the textbook and not one of some 70+ students (other than me) had the sense to look it up somewhere else. The prof asked if anyone did the problem. I sheepishly admitted I had. He got the 'real' TA he had to run copies of my chart of the nuclides (it was like a one page sheet with the important elements for fission and fusion on it) and hand it out to the rest of the class. Even then he, and later I had to point out on the chart where the number was. Uranium has like a dozen isotopes and you use U238 for the number.
              That class was a real hoot. It made me realize more than any other that most liberal arts majors were idiots. I had to show a bunch after class how to do precession of planets using math rather than algebra or trig. Yes, there is a way that involves no more than simple equations you can easily grasp, it's just heavily repetitive. You get an answer through brute force rather than elegance.
              Another time he made me relate a story about the Enterprise losing a plane to show a student that the Bermuda Triangle was BS (he was heavy into debunking stuff like that and was the head of the Tucson skeptic's society-- got to see the Amazing Randy in person because of him).

By the end of that class I was just slack jawed at how utterly stupid and vapid liberal arts students were.

Comment

Is this for all disabled veterans or those only with 100% disability?
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                  Is this for all disabled veterans or those only with 100% disability?
                  ompletely and permanently disabled.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

That's what I thought. The OP title is inaccurate. Why am I not surprised?
                    We are not now that strength which in old days
                    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Posts deleted, back to your normal schedule.

ACG Staff.
                      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                      Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        Here's something way positive Trump just did.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...cid=spartandhp

Yes, it was by executive order since Congress is moribund over everything except pillorying Trump, much like the MSM is.

For those with TDS let the spin begin!
                        This is a very good thing Trump did. The TDS'ers need to tread carefully. Awful lot of disabled veterans around these days.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

Right. Why even have congress. Just allow the President to do as he wishes.
                          You mean like Obama did?
                          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

You mean like Obama did?
                            But that was a good thing then. Obama = good. Trump = Bad. The TDS is now TTDS Terminal Trump Derangement Syndrome...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

This is a very good thing Trump did. The TDS'ers need to tread carefully. Awful lot of disabled veterans around these days.
                              YES and we still find him totally disgusting lacking any positive characteristics
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X