Makes me laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Given the level of literacy amongst the peasantry of the time the contributions of such pamphlets to the attitudes of villagers would have been confined to gratitude to not having to use dock leaves or scratchy hay in the rural privies.
    Ingulden might have meant towns, although a village was a entity large enough to support a church AND A PRIEST in Medieval times...https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-a...dieval-village
    In my beloved Saskatchewan the absolute minimum for a town is 525 residents, as that is the smallest population that can exist without inbreeding depressing the gene pool...

Note to moderators: If desired, the discussion on Medieval printing can be happily spun off into a new thread...)
    http://ludusludorum.com/2014/10/28/g...e-middle-ages/
    Last edited by marktwain; 17 Aug 19, 18:33.
    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Given the level of literacy amongst the peasantry of the time the contributions of such pamphlets to the attitudes of villagers would have been confined to gratitude to not having to use dock leaves or scratchy hay in the rural privies.
      According to Fasctinate, the level of literacy among males was 5-15 % in England,in the 1400.s.
      assuming a 250 person village, and assuming the low 5% as the village optimum ,this leaves 5-7 males who could puzzle out a pamphlet.

Paper printing was a boom industry in Paris, as Louis the Spider saw the turmoil in England as a great way to trade paper for - silver...

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

^ Still better than an average weekend at Stamford Bridge . . . .
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X