American Flag and National Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Flag and National Anthem

Americans sometimes forget what the flag represents, it has become a political tool that some use. I have always felt that it is the one and only symbol that represents all Americans as a symbol of our freedom and heritage.

Some people in Hong Kong understand this:

https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...BaCtXz_iWxuJUE

There has never been any doubt in mind, but I am the son of The Great Generation and patriotism respect for the flag and allegiance to my nation have always been part of my life and of me.

There is no reason to live in America without them.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

lol, this is just the US spitting in China's face. Nothing more. The US has a lot to do with the uprising, so their plants singing the anthem is just their way of rubbing it in China's face.

Here, the flag means different things to different people. Nothing wrong with that, we do not all need to operate as a hive mind. I don't care if you love it or hate it, that's your business and your freedom. The second it becomes wrong to dislike a country is the second we're no longer free.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
        The US has a lot to do with the uprising, so their plants singing the anthem is just their way of rubbing it in China's face.
        That is an interesting statement, what makes you think that we planted those that sang the Anthem?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          There has never been any doubt in mind, but I am the son of The Great Generation and patriotism respect for the flag and allegiance to my nation have always been part of my life and of me.

There is no reason to live in America without them.
          Totally agree, it has also been a part of my life and of me.

Comment

I think they sang our national anthem because they want us to get more involved because they think we are the only ones that can keep them from "disappearing".
            On a related note--I think that China played their hand way too early. They've been promising Taiwan the same sort of semi autonomy that Hong Kong has enjoyed if they'd "come back home". Now, the Taiwanese know that it was all BS and it'll harden their resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

That is an interesting statement, what makes you think that we planted those that sang the Anthem?

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

The US has a long history of playing a part in these type of revolutions and uprisings, there's no reason to believe they wouldn't continue their norm in Hong Kong.
                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

The US has a long history of playing a part in these type of revolutions and uprisings, there's no reason to believe they wouldn't continue their norm in Hong Kong.
                    So you have no proof of your earlier statement that the US planted the Anthem singers..... What an 'unexpected surprise'........

Comment

Wrapping ourselves in the American flag are we? Trump does the 'flag hug' which I find disrespectful to the flag and those who have fought for it (and Trump wouldn't).

Representative Particia Schroeder from Colorado literally wrapped herself in the flag at least once and that was as disgusting then as it is now.

It's nothing but a reprehensible act as well as grandstanding.
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Americans sometimes forget what the flag represents, it has become a political tool that some use. . . . .
                        All flags are political symbols that are used by various people to express political messages.

Heraldic devices such as seals have specific meanings for each element and color, and the U.S. Seal was no exception. Charles Thomson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, explained the significance to Congress when he presented the seal. “The colors,” Thomson said at the time, “are those used in the flag of the United States of America. White signifies purity and innocence. Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue… signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice.” . . . .

"Why the U.S. Flag is Red, White and Blue," by Nicole Greenstein, Time Magazine, 4 Jul 2013
                        What do those colors mean to a Frenchman?

Red, white and blue have come to represent liberty, equality and fraternity - the ideals of the French Revolution. Blue and red are also the time-honored colors of Paris, while white is the color of the Royal House of Bourbon.

"Flag of France," World Atlas
                        What do those colors mean to a Russian?

There are various interpretations of what the flag of Russia is designed to symbolize. The three colors of the flag – red, white and blue – through the years have been said to represent different traits. While there is no official ruling on what the flag is designed to represent, there is a popular consensus among Russia’s people. It is believed by many that the color white stands for frankness and nobility. Russians believe that the blue stands for many things, including faithfulness, chastity and honesty. The red is believed to represent love, courage and generosity.

"Russian Flag," World Population Review
                        And how about a Briton?

• According to Ancient and Heraldic traditions much symbolism is associated with colors. The colors on the British flag represent the following:
                          • White - peace and honesty
                          • Red - hardiness, bravery, strength & valour
                          • Blue - vigilance, truth and loyalty, perseverance & justice
                        "British Flag," Vexillology Matters-dot-org
                        Are Americans more pure than Germans? Are Britons more valorous than Greeks? Are Russians more noble than Brazilians? Are Frenchmen more egalitarian than Canadians? These symbols mean exactly what you want them to mean -- no more, and no less. As conscientious citizens, however, we must be careful that political-types don't hijack or pervert the meanings of our symbols. Case in point:

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                        Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                        I have already stated that I despise those who have co-opted the flag for their own political/racial BS. I hate seeing the battle flag used for anything other than honoring the soldiers who fought, but for a nation not worth fighting for. I honor the soldiers, but not the nation of the Confederate States of America.
                        So then the question should be, how can Southerners reclaim the Reb battle flag, to disarm it, to rob it of its more sinister connotations, to render it an interesting historical item and little more?
                        We'd better be damned careful about how we let our so-called leaders use our symbols, in our name, lest we risk looking like a bunch of a$$holes, or worse, not only in the eyes of our contemporaries, but in the eyes of posterity, as well.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

That's just weird. Is one of the singers wearing a MAGA hat? $100 these 'demonstrators' were paid off.

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
                            That's just weird. Is one of the singers wearing a MAGA hat? $100 these 'demonstrators' were paid off.
                            "paid off" by who? There is a pretty good chance they will end up in jail.

Comment

"paid off" by who? There is a pretty good chance they will end up in jail.
                              Hong Kong doesn't like Trump.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X