Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Immigration Official is a Jackass

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...cid=spartandhp
    'President Donald Trump's top immigration official on Tuesday offered a revised version of the poem long displayed inside the Statue of Liberty's pedestal that aligns more closely with the administration's latest rule aimed at curbing the number of people who enter the United States legally.'

'Ken Cuccinelli, acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, was asked by NPR whether the words of Emma Lazarus' “The New Colossus,” inscribed on a bronze tablet exhibited in the museum at the statue's base, remain "part of the American ethos."'

'"They certainly are," Cuccinelli said. "Give me your tired and your poor — who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."'

'Cuccinelli's comments come after the administration announced Monday a "public charge" regulation allowing federal officials to deny green cards to legal immigrants who have received certain public benefits or who are deemed likely to do so in the future.'

'Critics of the policy have argued it is at odds with Lazarus' work, which reads in part: “Give me your tired, your poor, / Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, / The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. / Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, / I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”'

We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Why another thread on the same topic:

So much for 'The New Colossus':
    Givemeyourtired,yourpoor,
    Yourhuddledmassesyearningto breathe free,
    Thewretchedrefuseof your teemingshore.
    Sendthese,thehomeless,tempest-tossed,to me:
    Iliftmy lampbesidethegoldendoor.

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...ts#post5134327
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Well, when the now somewhat fabled Ellis Island was in operation, contrary to popular belief, immigration officials subjected would be immigrants to a battery of questioning and testing to ensure they would not become wards of the state. These tests included:

Determining if the immigrant was of sound mind and body. "Feeblemindedness," poor physical condition, or having any sort of recognized disease were all reasons for rejection. Anarchists (read that as Leftist radicals), convicts / criminals, and persons of "low moral character" were all rejected as well.
      In the early 20th century Ellis Island was also a major port of deportation, particularly of those determined to be Communists, Leftist radicals, Anarchists, and the like.

Maybe our ancestors knew a thing or two we seem to have lost since...

As to the OP-- I think the "jackasses" in this case are those who want open borders, and / or think that mass immigration of criminals, radicals (of whatever stripe), those with communicable diseases, or those that would end up on perpetual welfare are all good choices for immigrants.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Well, when the now somewhat fabled Ellis Island was in operation, contrary to popular belief, immigration officials subjected would be immigrants to a battery of questioning and testing to ensure they would not become wards of the state. These tests included:

Determining if the immigrant was of sound mind and body. "Feeblemindedness," poor physical condition, or having any sort of recognized disease were all reasons for rejection. Anarchists (read that as Leftist radicals), convicts / criminals, and persons of "low moral character" were all rejected as well.
        In the early 20th century Ellis Island was also a major port of deportation, particularly of those determined to be Communists, Leftist radicals, Anarchists, and the like.

Maybe our ancestors knew a thing or two we seem to have lost since...

As to the OP-- I think the "jackasses" in this case are those who want open borders, and / or think that mass immigration of criminals, radicals (of whatever stripe), those with communicable diseases, or those that would end up on perpetual welfare are all good choices for immigrants.
        A big part of the problem was that many of Ellis Island's billets were filled by other immigrants. Irish, example, had a tendency of looking down their noses at any who came to the US later than they did. The even went so far as to decry Italian Roman Catholic practices as apostasy. German Jews who'd come to the US in the wake of the 1848 revolutions coined the term "Kike" as an epithet for their Eastern European coreligionists, whom they considered backwards, ignorant, and unhygienic: "Kike" was a contraction of "key-key," since so many of the Eastern European Jews came from the Russian Empire with Polish-sounding names.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I'm not claiming that immigration through Ellis Island was some sort of perfection. Officials often took bribes, or changed the rules depending who was standing in front of them.

On the other hand, at least they were checking... The open borders / anti crackdown on illegal immigration sort don't want any of that today-- that is unless it was stopping White conservatives from entering the country...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            I'm not claiming that immigration through Ellis Island was some sort of perfection. Officials often took bribes, or changed the rules depending who was standing in front of them.

On the other hand, at least they were checking... The open borders / anti crackdown on illegal immigration sort don't want any of that today-- that is unless it was stopping White conservatives from entering the country...
            And I've never advocated for open borders: the very notion is nonsensical. But let's not kid ourselves here: grandma and grandpa ain't happy now, what with Hispanics currently over-represented in elder care work by 7%, and blacks currently over-represented in elder care work by 100%, They're going to be even less happy when there's no one working in the old folks' home to wipes their a$$es at all.....

Comment

persons of "low moral character" were all rejected as well.
              Care to explain how Trumps father made it through the screening? After all he ran from national service ALSO
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Care to explain how Trumps father made it through the screening? After all he ran from national service ALSO
                Fred Trump was born in NYC, if I recall correctly. It was Fred Trump's father, Donald's grandfather, who came from your part of the world. As for dodging the draft, at 35, Fred would likely have been rated as too old for Selective Service, no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Trump

Comment

The Selective Service drafted lots of guys up to 40. My Grandfather helped build Cities Service Oil Refinery during early WWII (42/43) and was getting a draft exemption for it. Even though he went straight into the Maintenance Crew, he was sweating out 1945! If the war had lasted into 1946 he would have been drafted. He had four children but two were born too late to get an exemption for that. Some 40 year olds were sent to the front as Infantry!

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Fred Trump was born in NYC, if I recall correctly. It was Fred Trump's father, Donald's grandfather, who came from your part of the world. As for dodging the draft, at 35, Fred would likely have been rated as too old for Selective Service, no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Trump
                    Correct on Gramps. WWII iirc the top age was 45.
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

One topic, three threads in 24 hours.....?

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...-over-yourself
                      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

I think Fred would have known the people on his Draft Board. The Draft Boards often sent the poor and the Minorities to the Draft before the Rich and White. Donald also used a medical report from a private doctor to get an exemption. Could Dad have known a Doctor?

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X