No sh!t Sherlocks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No sh!t Sherlocks.

A report by a Canadian think tank reports that Canadians who get their information from traditional media sources that we're supposed to trust like the CBC and CTV are more misinformed on the issues like that the Yellow vest protest movement is about White Supremecy and that what it's really about is protesting Trudeau's carbon tax,his anti Oil industry policies and are against his hyper fanatical pro Muslim agenda to silence criticism about violence and oppression in their cultures.
    Also in the report is that people who only get their information from social media sources like Facebook and Twitter are also misinformed about the facts on the issues.
    This government wants to get involved in cracking down on fake news but all they'll do is ban Anti Trudeau posts they're too corrupt and biased to have any integrity on the issue.
    I'm in big favour of defunding the CBC I don't want to pay with my taxes for them to be the Turd's propaganda station for him or anyone else anymore.

https://tnc.news/2019/08/10/canadian...aqvAM4AG0Voy0i
    Last edited by Snowshoveler; 13 Aug 19, 10:12.

Oh! Wise one would you please give us mere peons some examples of this biased news so we may clear our minds of any mis-information

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post
      Oh! Wise one would you please give us mere peons some examples of this biased news so we may clear our minds of any mis-information
      Yikes I hit another nerve you’re all jumpy lately.
      The report by a Liberal group isn’t good enough for you now?
      I already gave one example how the media has portrayed the yellow vest movement to be they’re the Turds mouthpiece.

Comment

B01DF1B3-7C22-4469-B90F-BBA571C5E252.jpeg

Comment

Some interesting quotes from the report:

Exposure to both mainstream media and, to a greater extent, social media is associated with higher levels of misinformation. One key point of vulnerability is the tendency of strong partisans to become misinformed with news exposure, especially via social media
          Respondents with high levels of traditional news media exposure reported uncertainty in the answer to our fact-based questions 2 fewer times than those with lower levels of media consumption. They gave 0.9 more correct responses; h owever, they also gave 1.1 more incorrect responses, which means they gave 0.2 more net-incorrect responses than those with lower exposure. As such, traditional news media exposure appears to be associated with both correct information and misinformation.
          This story is even more troubling when we examine social media exposure. Respondents with high levels of social media exposure gave 0.5 more correct responses. However, they also gave 1.3 more incorrect responses than those with low levels of exposure. As a result, these respondents actually gave 0.8 more net-incorrectresponses compared to those with low levels of social media exposure.
          The same finding holds with social media exposure. Non- and weak-partisans with high levels of social media usage give 0.5 more incorrect responses than those who rarely use social media for the news. This number rises to 1.5 among strong partisans. In contrast, there is no evidence that partisans are more likely to be correctly informed by news exposure than non-partisans. News media provide fuel for polarization on fact-based questions.
          So according to the report you posted, while there are issues with traditional media sources, there are even more issues with social media sources. So if you're going to use a medium to get information, your best is still traditional media, not social media.

Interesting study but it makes a better case for traditional media than social media, not the point I think you think it's making.

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
            Some interesting quotes from the report:

So according to the report you posted, while there are issues with traditional media sources, there are even more issues with social media sources. So if you're going to use a medium to get information, your best is still traditional media, not social media.

Interesting study but it makes a better case for traditional media than social media, not the point I think you think it's making.
            Social media leads to more misinformation but the main tv networks are still a bad source for information especially when reporters use their own personal opinions on the story.
            The government claims they want to use this report to shut down fake news but the main source of information the tv media is more biased towards the government so don’t expect them to attack them as much as other media.

DA29ADCF-0450-4D7B-A215-E295378FDAA6.jpeg

Comment

I get all my news here at Armchair General, so that should make me....
              Oh,,....wait a minute...

Actually, I listen to CBC Radio, and CKUA, which I find very useful.
              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post
                I get all my news here at Armchair General, so that should make me....
                Oh,,....wait a minute...

Actually, I listen to CBC Radio, and CKUA, which I find very useful.
                CBC radio wouldn’t survive without public funding not enough people would pay to listen to what they talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowshoveler View Post

Social media leads to more misinformation but the main tv networks are still a bad source for information especially when reporters use their own personal opinions on the story.
                  The government claims they want to use this report to shut down fake news but the main source of information the tv media is more biased towards the government so don’t expect them to attack them as much as other media.

DA29ADCF-0450-4D7B-A215-E295378FDAA6.jpeg
                  You can believe what you want, it's the joy of living in a place like Canada.

However, the report you yourself linked to shows that of the two main choices people in modern Canadian society have to access current information from, mainstream media or social media, those that use mainstream media are less misinformed than those using social media. So I know which of those two sources I'd favour if I had to pick one.

As to your claims about biased TV media and reporters using personal opinions in their stories, this appears to be your personal opinion as it's not supported by the information you've provided. Knowing the background and owners of some of the networks featured on the billboard, I find it incredibly amusing to see them all lumped together as having the same voice.

Comment

You can believe what you want, it's the joy of living in a place like Canada.

However, the report you yourself linked to shows that of the two main choices people in modern Canadian society have to access current information from, mainstream media or social media, those that use mainstream media are less misinformed than those using social media. So I know which of those two sources I'd favour if I had to pick one.

As to your claims about biased TV media and reporters using personal opinions in their stories, this appears to be your personal opinion as it's not supported by the information you've provided. Knowing the background and owners of some of the networks featured on the billboard, I find it incredibly amusing to see them all lumped together as having the same voice.
                    You’re ignoring the report as inconsequential and not harmful for someone who claims to be a Conservative you aren’t the least bit pissed at how the tv media especially the CBC has been coddling PM pea brain and covering for him since the beginning unless they absolutely have to like with the Lav corruption scandal.
                    We’ve always been telling people the tv media is horribly biased now a Liberal think tank has proven it that you can’t ignore it the government is trying to shut down anti Turd opinions in the name of stopping fake news but that would hurt them since the main tv stations have been good to them.

Comment

You’re ignoring the report as inconsequential and not harmful for someone who claims to be a Conservative you aren’t the least bit pissed at how the tv media especially the CBC has been coddling PM pea brain and covering for him since the beginning unless they absolutely have to like with the Lav corruption scandal.
                      We’ve always been telling people the tv media is horribly biased now a Liberal think tank has proven it that you can’t ignore it the government is trying to shut down anti Turd opinions in the name of stopping fake news but that would hurt them since the main tv stations have been good to them.
                      I ignored nothing, I said nothing about anything being inconsequential and I'd advise you to steer well clear of making assumptions or asperations about my political background. The policy on this forum is to address the post and not the poster.

To repeat, and to be clear from the excerpts of the very report you yourself linked to that I posted, is that both mainstream media and social media have issues with misinformation and misinformed consumers. However, as the reports states, of the two choices, mainstream media and social media, mainstream media has the less misinformed consumers. So if I had to pick between the two I'd go with the source that has the less misinformation on it. Again and note, I said if there was a binary choice: social media/mainstream media, I'd go with two as the study linked to shows it's more accurate. Whatever issues I have with mainstream media are moot as it's still better than social media.

I know this doesn't fit well into the narrative or bias displayed in the OP. However you have no-one to blame but yourself for this as you introduced the report as a source. Unfortunately for your argument the report isn't as black and white or as supportive of your anti mainstream media thesis as you'd like.

So to summarize: don't make up things about what other posters said, don't go down the road of personal sniping/assumptions/accusations and finally make sure you're familar with the all the content of your sources before making assumptions of what they say or prove.

Comment

I ignored nothing, I said nothing about anything being inconsequential and I'd advise you to steer well clear of making assumptions or asperations about my political background. The policy on this forum is to address the post and not the poster.

To repeat, and to be clear from the excerpts of the very report you yourself linked to that I posted, is that both mainstream media and social media have issues with misinformation and misinformed consumers. However, as the reports states, of the two choices, mainstream media and social media, mainstream media has the less misinformed consumers. So if I had to pick between the two I'd go with the source that has the less misinformation on it. Again and note, I said if there was a binary choice: social media/mainstream media, I'd go with two as the study linked to shows it's more accurate. Whatever issues I have with mainstream media are moot as it's still better than social media.

I know this doesn't fit well into the narrative or bias displayed in the OP. However you have no-one to blame but yourself for this as you introduced the report as a source. Unfortunately for your argument the report isn't as black and white or as supportive of your anti mainstream media thesis as you'd like.

So to summarize: don't make up things about what other posters said, don't go down the road of personal sniping/assumptions/accusations and finally make sure you're familar with the all the content of your sources before making assumptions of what they say or prove.
                        What else do you think that the committee means when they say that the tv media spreads fake news? If you’re right wing you’ve been very aware of it like with the coverage for the Canadian Yellow vests for one.
                        The main tv national newscasts don’t think exactly alike but they’re similar on how they’ve reported on everything involving Sockboy.
                        Last edited by Snowshoveler; 13 Aug 19, 17:07.

Comment

Not surprising. The mass media is almost a branch of government itself in many ways, like a bureau of propaganda many times.

Journalism used to be a proud profession, Now it is merely a job for a paycheck.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

What else do you think that the committee means when they say that the tv media spreads fake news?
                            I must have missed that sentence in the report and I find it hard to believe a research report mentions the phrase “fake news”

Heres a link to it directly
                            https://ppforum.ca/wp-content/upload...-1-Aug2019.pdf

Please provide a quote from the report supporting your assertion that the report says “tv media spreads fake news”.

Comment

I read the report. It seems extremely ambiguous in many aspects, and rather oddly biased in others, as if making excuses for their findings that do not support some position of trust of the media in general. They even go so far as to state that those who better are probably more intelligent and go on to find out the truth on their own. That is nowhere near a ringing endorsement of the Canadian media.
                              This is a total fence-straddler:

It is possible that news media exposure is correlated with more correct information and misinformation only because people who are exposed to the news are also more interested in and knowledgeable about politics. Politically interested and knowledgeable citizens could be expected to know more about specific policies and give more correct answers. But on the other hand, they might also be more motivated to reject evidence that contradicts their beliefs and give more incorrect responses as well.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X