No announcement yet.

Mining Concerns Take Precedence Over a Valuable Natural Resource

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No kidding. But going for the money-maker up front to the ruin of the other that cannot be recovered is wrong.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
      No kidding. But going for the money-maker up front to the ruin of the other that cannot be recovered is wrong.
      That is a complete proof of a negative / argument from ignorance. There is no knowing what the outcome will be if the mine is opened. Nothing could change with the salmon population. Or, it might have a significant impact.
      Given that this mine will take years to open and then decades to finish operations, I think the speed at which it will be doing things is manageable in terms of observation and if it looks like it will impact the salmon, then the operation can be halted or modified to prevent that from happening. I think that's a much more reasonable set of actions than saying NO! It might harm the salmon population...

Comment

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

You figured wrong again. I asked a simple question regarding due diligence. Whenever the MSM only gives unnamed sources as sources....the validity of the story needs to be called into question.

If someone is offended because I question CNN's unnamed 'facts'.....there is nothing that I can do about it.
          research study:https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...45653513011600

copper in minute concentrations impairs salmon sensivity
          The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

No doubt copper will do that but how does it apply to this thread? Are they dumping copper in the streams?
            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

Except copper is rarely found in it's metal form in nature. It is almost always, if not always, secondary or tertiary weathered and Copper Oxide in the form of Malachite or Azurite

The green is malachite, the blue azurite. Neither will readily dissolve in water as their molecules are stable.

Or as copper sulfates or sulfides:

Today, the normal process to extract copper from these ores is using a sulphuric acid solution to dissolve the copper oxide into copper sulphates that can then be plated out into copper using electrolytic action. This consumes far less energy than smelting and is also far, far less polluting.

https://superfund.arizona.edu/learni...per/processing

Gold on the other hand doesn't readily form oxides and is instead extracted as a metal, although it often contains impurities like silver.

So, there is little or no threat that copper will enter the watershed or effect the salmon population.

Comment

And what if it does and the salmon are destroyed? They cannot be brought back.

And now we have this proposed by the Trump administration. I guess that Trump has no time not only for the environment, but for animals in general.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

For most people, that's a no discernable difference. For the gourmet or connoisseur it might make a difference. But, for the bulk of buyers it's going to be price first. No difference with beef or chicken. Most people simply won't notice.
                  I also didn't say that wild caught should end, only that farm raised should be increased.
                  The fish "farms" I have seen on the West Coast (Brit Columbia) were anything but pristine but then again most of their product was shipped to the Japanese who are in the process of killing every living thing in the ocean from whales to minnows....

Comment

From what I have read over the years, Copper and Gold mining uses toxic solutions to leach the minerals out of the ore. These were not a closed operations where the Toxic solutions could be reused over and over. Storage of the toxic solutions is where the problems come in. Another issue with me is the mining companies want fresh water to start making the solutions.

Fracking involves pumping water into a formation but then what do you do with the now toxic salty water? West Texas has few options and has scarce water resources. Injection wells in Pennsylvania seems to be causing earthquakes.

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X