Terror as Deterrent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
    We all know that Trump is a Racist, a Misogynist, a Xenophobe and now we find out that he is a Terrorist also.

Well advocating that the laws apply equally to everyone, even illegals is pretty awful.
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

No, it isn't. Terrorism is defined as the use of violence in the furtherance of political goals. The threat of losing your children due to your criminal activity is not terrorism, it's the state taking control of your children because you are a criminal involved in criminal activity. Illegal immigration is a criminal activity. Identity theft is a criminal activity. Tax evasion is a criminal activity. These are common crimes that illegal immigrants commit. Their children should be taken away when the parents go to jail to await trial for their crimes.

If the parents were drug dealers their children would be removed. If the parents were violent criminals their children would be removed. If you get caught driving drunk or recklessly with your children present, they are removed. Why should illegal immigration and any associated crimes be treated differently?

You are absolutely right.
      Kids are regularly removed when the parents are arrested. It isnít pleasant, but there is no alternative.
      Does he really think that this doesnít happen thousands of times a day to citizens?
      Weird his reliable news sources fail to mention that.
      It is almost as if those news sources canít be relied upon to be objective and accurate.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

The definition of Terrorism is well established in international law. Arresting a lawbreaker for breaking the law is not included in that definition.

Next!
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Four posts commenting on other posters were removed.
          Massena and Cambronnne, please keep your personal sniping out of this thread and off this forum.

Thank you
          ACG Staff

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
            Four posts commenting on other posters were removed.
            Massena and Cambronnne, please keep your personal sniping out of this thread and off this forum.

Thank you
            ACG Staff
            Dammit!
            My post was brilliant too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

You are absolutely right.
              Kids are regularly removed when the parents are arrested. It isnít pleasant, but there is no alternative.
              Does he really think that this doesnít happen thousands of times a day to citizens?
              Weird his reliable news sources fail to mention that.
              It is almost as if those news sources canít be relied upon to be objective and accurate.
              It becomes a question of what the children are removed TO. Warehousing children as a deterrent is at best, collective punishment. while the reporting sites have different agendas, "deplorable' appears to be a common theme.

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

The threat of losing your children through the actions of the government is the application of terror.
                Again as in the other thread about the same subject. The adults know that this could happen yet they still break the law. The government isn't terrorizing the adult criminals. The adult criminals are setting their children up for failure by breaking the law.
                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

It does have more than a whiff of "nicht und nebel" about it.
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    MarkV, What on earth is "nicht und nebel"?Not and Fog

Again!
                    I hate to be a spelling Nazi here but if you want to quote someone or use it in the headline of an OP in another language, please use the correct spelling, several times I have noticed that one is trying to impress people on this forum with a foreign language they are misspelling words, and that impresses no one, I speak, read and write German, I was taught by the US Army, I also speak French and Vietnamese, and I absolute can't stand when someone is trying to impress people with a foreign language just to show how educated they are.
                    BTW Your signature by Schiller makes absolutely no sense to me.
                    Last edited by Trung Si; 10 Aug 19, 19:54.
                    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

It becomes a question of what the children are removed TO. Warehousing children as a deterrent is at best, collective punishment. while the reporting sites have different agendas, "deplorable' appears to be a common theme.

Perhaps a reasonable argument can be made that the facilities are inadequate, but the facilities are not the result of anything trump has done, nor is the policy of separating children from the individual arrested.
                      I donít believe that illegals should get better treatment in this regard than US citizens.
                      if there is a problem with the law, address the law, not the people who are enforcing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

Perhaps a reasonable argument can be made that the facilities are inadequate, but the facilities are not the result of anything trump has done, nor is the policy of separating children from the individual arrested.
                        I donít believe that illegals should get better treatment in this regard than US citizens.
                        if there is a problem with the law, address the law, not the people who are enforcing it.
                        Hi Cambronne

Children have rights under the United Nations charter, and as minors, having limited capacity to contract, a duty of care from all western countries.

Until adequate child care facilities can be provided, the raids should be suspended.
                        We may be more sensitive to this in Canada, as between the residential schools and the Barnardo's programs, we have a sorry history of neglecting children in care.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                          In the first world, 'collective punishment of children' for their parent's misdeeds is rather unacceptable.

Comment

In the first world, 'collective punishment of children' for their parent's misdeeds is rather unacceptable.
                            In the first world parents that break some laws are separated from their children. Why would parents not be held accountable and adults without children be held accountable?
                            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Two problems with the arguments presented.

1. Children aren't being warehoused as a deterrent.

2. They aren't being collectively punished.

If they're in a facility, it's because either their parents were breaking the law and that's just the only spot available. (On a side note citizen children stuck without caretakers have themselves been known to spend nights in offices. It sucks, but it's not a punishment, just overloaded infrastructure.)

Or, if they are themselves illegal border crossers they could be in because they have NO legal guardians this side of the Rio at all or came with somebody who may not be their parent and are awaiting processing.

None of it is punishment or deterrence. Just bureaucracy. It sucks, but paperwork isn't malicious intent.
                              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

The threat of losing your children through the actions of the government is the application of terror.
                                The threat of losing your children through the government enforcing the consequences of your illegal actions....is not 'terror'.

Totally separated a child from their parents week before last, some hope that I did so permanently. Completely satisfied that I did it, and I would do it again. Bad child abuse case.

Being arrested for any Crime, be it Felony or Misdemeanor, is going to result in at least a temporary separation from your children....no one under the age of 18 being allowed in adult jails. While one would hope that someone would care about their children enough to be law abiding and not require such things to occur, only a fool would consider it 'terrorism' to enforce laws on the books.
                                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                  Robi P.
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                  Today, 02:27
                                • casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                  Today, 00:47
                                • casanova
                                  Nuclear battleheads.
                                  by casanova
                                  A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                  Yesterday, 23:58
                                Working...
                                X