Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Resigning Foreign Service Officer Speaks His Mind

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/08/polit...-ed/index.html

'A foreign service officer resigned from the State Department effective Thursday, writing in a blistering op-ed in The Washington Post that he could no longer serve in "The Complacent State," particularly in the wake of the El Paso mass shooting.'
    'Chuck Park wrote in the op-ed that during his almost 10 years in the foreign service he "worked to spread what (he) believed were American values: freedom, fairness and tolerance."

"But more and more I found myself in a defensive stance, struggling to explain to foreign peoples the blatant contradictions at home," he wrote.

Park said that after the election of President Donald Trump, he had remained "complacent" and had "let career perks silence (his) conscience."'
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Let's see, 10 years means he was in the service for both Obama's terms and 2 years as a Deep Stater.

Next.

Comment

I read his op ed. Nothing special in it, just a typical Progressive whining that things aren't moving in the direction he'd like politically. Here's a paragraph that demonstrates that:

I attended celebrations of Black History Month at our embassy in Lisbon as black communities in the United States demanded justice for Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Freddie Gray and the victims of the mass shooting at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, S.C. And in Vancouver, I touted the strength of the United States’ democracy at the consulate’s 2016 election-night party as a man who campaigned on racism, misogyny and wild conspiracy theories became president-elect.
      That he accepts that Martin, Brown, and Grey were somehow victims even though they were up and up criminal thugs. The last sentence is nothing but an ad hominem without evidence. But, it all has the ring of a dedicated Progressive Leftist in it.

What irks him, and why he quit, was like a petulant child he is throwing a tantrum because he and his ilk can't get their way with this particular President. There really isn't anything to see here other than a man-child throwing a fit that the world isn't turning to his chosen tune.

Comment

The night Martin was murdered no one knew of a criminal record. The man child is who you support.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          The night Martin was murdered no one knew of a criminal record. The man child is who you support.
          Well, that state department guy knew all about him when he wrote that column because he didn't write it the night or next day after the Martin incident but like last week. My assessment stands.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Well, that state department guy knew all about him when he wrote that column because he didn't write it the night or next day after the Martin incident but like last week. My assessment stands.
            The foreign service officer who wrote this material was fed up with the duplicity, incompetence and amorality of the Trump administration, which is clear to see for anyone who actually wants to look. And an excellent example of that is Trump's behavior in El Paso and Dayton. Trump is both despicable and personally disgusting.
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

The foreign service officer who wrote this material was fed up with the duplicity, incompetence and amorality of the Trump administration, which is clear to see for anyone who actually wants to look. And an excellent example of that is Trump's behavior in El Paso and Dayton. Trump is both despicable and personally disgusting.
              As he sees it in his Progressive-Leftist view of the world... So? His jaundiced view is somehow newsworthy-- That is, other than more TDS Trump bashing by the WaPo?

Comment

As he sees it in his Progressive-Leftist view of the world... So? His jaundiced view is somehow newsworthy-- That is, other than more TDS Trump bashing by the WaPo?
                How is the foreign service officer a leftist? Is that your default position? Everyone with whom you disagree is a leftist? That is utterly ridiculous.

Comment

you are assuming that. As a conservative I am stilling wishing for the good Ole days of just bad Obama policy rather than the complete handing over of what is left of American influence that Trump is doing.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

How is the foreign service officer a leftist? Is that your default position? Everyone with whom you disagree is a leftist? That is utterly ridiculous.
                      I pointed this out in my first post in this thread.

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp
                        'A former Foreign Service officer whose resignation took effect this week tore into President Trump on Friday evening, labeling his administration cruel and incompetent.'

'"What's different is kind of the naked unapologetic cruelty. That's the first thing. The second thing is, you know, the sheer managerial incompetence of this administration. The rollout of the Muslim ban, that executive order, was disastrous," Chuck Park said on CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360."'

'Park, who wrote a blistering op-ed this week about his time in the government under Trump, joined the Foreign Service in 2010 under former President Obama. He wrote this week that he could no longer be part of what he called the "Complacent State."'

'"The past three years have felt like the house is on fire," he said Friday. "And not only is it on fire, but there is a man purposely lighting more fires."'

'"There is a slow buildup, and maybe I'll call it moral distress, with each successive kind of tweet or action. I mean, it started with the Muslim ban, the executive order in January 2017. And then defending white nationalists after Charlottesville. It was family separation. It was revelations about squalid detention centers."'

'Park also said he was frustrated by what he suggested was an erratic foreign policy in which prepared platforms would be reversed by Trump's tweets.'

'"As an example, a cable will contain talking points for the day, let's say on trade, and I am tasked with memorizing those talking points and finding meetings with senior foreign officials and delivering dutifully those talking points," he said.'

'"And it is happening to me that, in a meeting with a foreign official, kind of mid-sentence, that official that I'm talking to will pick up their cell phone and point to a tweet from the president that directly contradicts what I'm saying in person."'

'The Foreign Service falls under the State Department, which has seen its diplomatic corps around the world thinned, particularly among its top tier with 30 ambassadorships remaining vacant, according to the American Foreign Service Association.'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X