Time To Clear The Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackhat View Post
    We are all students of history here, in one form or another. We have to look at the problem from that viewpoint, and try to remove ourselves from the fact that we're living here and now in the midst of a great sociological shift. All those points are valid, in my opinion, but are symptomatic of the bigger underlying issue.

The industrial revolution built the middle class in our nation, and, along side geographical protection and diversity, vast wealth of natural resources, and a large pool of workers unhindered by the European caste model from which they escaped, made this nation into a world power. Prior to that, we were largely an agrarian society with mostly an upper class, and everyone else. The industrial revolution pulled those farmers into the cities to fill factory jobs and, over time and many ugly struggles, gave them a source of reliable and expendable income not experienced before. They now had luxuries they didn't have, and free time. Education became more prominent and society grew and developed. With that education came new developments and technologies, and new problems. The difference in human existence in 1850 was not that drastically different from 50 A. D. Which gets us to the technological revolution.

As we've moved from the industrial to the technological revolution the effects on society has been monumental. Almost all of the points listed above are a direct result of it. Increased education, leisure time, expendable income across more of the society as a whole, has changed dramatically how our society functions. The blue collar working class as we knew it is largely dead, for the most part. We no longer need 3 shifts of thousands of men on an assembly line to create goods. It can be accomplished with a few hundred or less and some robots or machines. Production scale farming has mostly eliminated the small family farms which required large families to maintain. Society, due to technology, has shifted to a service based economy more than ever. That model does not require a huge labor force, which leaves the middle class struggling to find its place again.

All these changes affect how we as a society interact. Comfort and safety permits laziness, erodes moral structures, devalues the family structure, hampers self-reliance and independence away from government agencies (putting all the power back in the hands of the chosen few, if you will), and generally instills a laissez faire attitude that is rapidly destroying us from within. It can be seen everywhere. As long as I've got mine, I don't care much what's going on. The farther we get from a subsistence living, the more society will decline. There is a balancing point between comfort of advancements and strength of social structures. I fear we hit that point around the 50's-60's. I often wonder if we can solve this problem, or if a large scale "reset" of some kind is necessary. Is that social utopia ever possible, or are we hardwired to live at a certain level and are simply hitting critical mass? I do believe that we need to step outside our daily existence and try to view it from a broader sociological and historical perspective if we have any hopes of finding an answer.
    Good points here. What would you say to the idea that in some sense The United States should go back in time and we should just forget about these robots taking over jobs and instead letís put humans into those jobs?

I have also heard this idea that The United States is turning into a service country. I think that this caní be a bad turnout what do you feel? Look at our past when Americans black-and-white and also women were working steel and auto jobs from those jobs they became stronger... they werenít lazy. The service industry does not require a lot of lifting though. In addition with the service industry the idea is you are serving other people but with the steel and auto jobs your job contributes to the military and into making our entire country a better place by improving our roads and bridges.

The thing is we still need steel and auto in our world so I see no reason for the USA to get away from the steel and auto jobs

furthermore do you think our country will ever have another Henry Ford that is to say a man or woman who wants to get ultra rich but also who wants to make their country better? It seems we need another great industrialist or pioneer if you will that has a vision that includes not just themself but also millions of Americans having a good job

Apologies for any typos as this message was provided via iPhone
    Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 08 Aug 19, 15:55.
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
      Mine wasn't-unless you consider West Point a liberal arts school. It isn't-it's one of the top three engineering schools in the nation. It was founded in 1802 on the model of the French Ecole Polytechnique, a premier military school to produce engineers and artillery officers.

Liberal Education

The Transformation of West Point as a Liberal Arts College

During the past fifty years, West Point has participated in a journey that has dramatically altered the structure of its curriculum (Forsythe and Keith 2004). From 1802 through 1960, West Point offered students a prescribed curriculum; all students completed the same set of courses. Beginning in 1960, electives were introduced into the curriculum. By 1970, students selected concentrations that, by 1980, became fields of study. Majors were first introduced with the class of 1985 and became a graduation requirement with the class of 2005. Although all students complete a common core curriculum of twenty-six courses, West Point has sought to balance the completion of a breadth component (core curriculum) with the depth of study derived from a disciplinary major. External constraints necessitate that students complete all of the graduation requirements within forty-seven months (eight academic terms).

While such changes reflect evolutionary shifts in structure, they say nothing about student development. This point was underscored in a 1989 institutional accreditation evaluation, whereby the visiting regional accreditation team acknowledged that the institution lacked any discernible justification to describe why students were required to complete a particular set of courses. Furthermore, the school lacked any demonstrable evidence that students actually achieved that which had not yet been articulated. During the past twenty years, we have leveraged this accreditation concern to transform the West Point experience.

https://www.aacu.org/publications-re...l-arts-college
      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post

It was still a prescribed curriculum when I was there (1972-1976). The curriculum was overwhelmingly math and science. In four years I had only eight electives, and those were in military history. The history department was excellent and the school also has a world-class library.

That being said, West Point is still considered one of the top three engineering schools in the country and may be the most difficult school to get into.
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

Good points here. What would you say to the idea that in some sense The United States should go back in time and we should just forget about these robots taking over jobs and instead letís put humans into those jobs?

I have also heard this idea that The United States is turning into a service country. I think that this caní be a bad turnout what do you feel? Look at our past when Americans black-and-white and also women were working steel and auto jobs from those jobs they became stronger... they werenít lazy. The service industry does not require a lot of lifting though. In addition with the service industry the idea is you are serving other people but with the steel and auto jobs your job contributes to the military and into making our entire country a better place by improving our roads and bridges.

The thing is we still need steel and auto in our world so I see no reason for the USA to get away from the steel and auto jobs

furthermore do you think our country will ever have another Henry Ford that is to say a man or woman who wants to get ultra rich but also who wants to make their country better? It seems we need another great industrialist or pioneer if you will that has a vision that includes not just themself but also millions of Americans having a good job

In a nutshell, you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

As much as it would benefit society to have us return to the times when everyone did some small measure of manual labor merely to survive day to day life, where large labor pools of predominantly under-educated men did dirty, dangerous, back breaking blue-collar work, where family units stayed together in one house from babies to grandparents, it's not possible.

You'd need to radically change too many things in modern society for that to happen. Take women largely out of the workforce so men aren't competing with them for a breadwinner job, and in turn forcing them back into the household in the role of mothers and caregivers. Remove many of the divorce laws and eliminate abortion rights so that families have to work through their problems, and accept consequences for actions taken. Let the sick and elderly die off more naturally rather than extending life spans to current levels. Turn back safety laws and the like to allow that large scale workforce to do jobs we now consider to dangerous or detrimental for people to do. Deny or destroy many of the countless conveniences that has reshaped modern societies thinking and actions. We'll just never be able to do that, nor should we, at least not all of those changes.

A "closer to the bone" hard, simple lifestyle kept humanity working together largely because it had to. You took care of your family because no one else would. You stayed together and toughed it out because survival alone without that support structure was difficult at best. You learned work ethics and responsibility because you had to to survive. Technology and convenience made us safer and softer. We passed off the responsibility of caregiver and protector to the government slowly but surely, to the point that the family unit was not necessary. We have forgotten how to take care of ourselves and now we see the end results. Safety, comfort, fairness and freedom has become paramount in all things, but it has cost us our character, self-reliance, and, in time, our souls and our freedom. How we get back from that without a large scale reset, I just don't know.

*Hard times make strong men"
          "Strong men make good times"
          "Good times make weak men"
          "Weak men make hard times"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
            History, even military history, is a liberal arts degree.

Originally posted by massena"
            I read it and it made little sense the only purpose being to label someone you don't know as a liberal, which is a dirty word, unfortunately, on this forum. Get a grip.

It seems to me that all I said was

ďHistory, even military history, is a liberal arts degree.Ē

Is that an accurate statement or not Yes or No?

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhat View Post

In a nutshell, you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

As much as it would benefit society to have us return to the times when everyone did some small measure of manual labor merely to survive day to day life, where large labor pools of predominantly under-educated men did dirty, dangerous, back breaking blue-collar work, where family units stayed together in one house from babies to grandparents, it's not possible.

You'd need to radically change too many things in modern society for that to happen. Take women largely out of the workforce so men aren't competing with them for a breadwinner job, and in turn forcing them back into the household in the role of mothers and caregivers. Remove many of the divorce laws and eliminate abortion rights so that families have to work through their problems, and accept consequences for actions taken. Let the sick and elderly die off more naturally rather than extending life spans to current levels. Turn back safety laws and the like to allow that large scale workforce to do jobs we now consider to dangerous or detrimental for people to do. Deny or destroy many of the countless conveniences that has reshaped modern societies thinking and actions. We'll just never be able to do that, nor should we, at least not all of those changes.

A "closer to the bone" hard, simple lifestyle kept humanity working together largely because it had to. You took care of your family because no one else would. You stayed together and toughed it out because survival alone without that support structure was difficult at best. You learned work ethics and responsibility because you had to to survive. Technology and convenience made us safer and softer. We passed off the responsibility of caregiver and protector to the government slowly but surely, to the point that the family unit was not necessary. We have forgotten how to take care of ourselves and now we see the end results. Safety, comfort, fairness and freedom has become paramount in all things, but it has cost us our character, self-reliance, and, in time, our souls and our freedom. How we get back from that without a large scale reset, I just don't know.

*Hard times make strong men"
              "Strong men make good times"
              "Good times make weak men"
              "Weak men make hard times"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Thats interesting thank you blackhat.

Women have been in the workforce forever. Remember Cleopatra the powerful Egyptian leader , Joan of Arc the heroic French Catholic praised centuries after her death by Napoleon Bonaparte, Catherine of Aragon the great Catholic of England that led her army successfully against The Kingdom of Scotland.

I can not speak to the pre WW2 times as to women in the workforce in the USA, but perhaps others can. But during and after WW2 women were involved in the steel and auto industry in the USA. We can see that women stayed in the workforce in many steel and auto plants after WW2, this documentary shows us , 18:50 mark..

In addition it was IMO a combination of organized labor and Employers that led to in the early 20th century until the 1990s generation upon generation of Americans of all colors and religions not only surviving, but flourishing. In 1914 Henry Ford doubled the wages of his employees, going from 2.49 to 5 dollars a day. And in 1941 Ford at the urgency of his wife and son Edsel signed a deal with the UAW, a Union that was truly pro American. Yes there are good Unions and they contributed to winning WW2. So for numerous generations Americans saw a strong middle class, one can say this from the early 20th century to the 1990s. And it was not just survival but the American middle class was at its strongest in these times enjoying the roaring twenties but suffering through the depression, only to be pulled out of the depression by Democratic leadership under FDR that worked with GOP to make America the strongest country in the world militarily and economically. So w/e the case, IMO its jobs that are the most important issue in the USA, we need to maintain a strong middle class. It is a fact that steel and auto are still vital, and the technology industry itself uses material from steel and auto plants. So in going forward the USA should do what it can to provide many jobs in the Tech as well as Steel and Auto industry.
              Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 08 Aug 19, 19:00.

George S Patton

Comment

Two post consisting of comments directed at other posters were removed
                ACG Staff

Comment

I think the internet and all the social media outlets have a lot to do with some of our problems. There is almost instant gratification to some idiot who wants to harm people. A simple search lets someone connect with another wacko who may think just like you do. There is so little real time interaction between people anymore...Ö.. especially the younger ones...ÖÖ..notice most of these mass killers lately are from the age group who grew up on social media...ÖÖ...

Comment

Given the overriding profit motive, automation is inevitable. It wasn't done before because the technology wasn't there. Now it is and millions have lost their jobs to it. That lead me to ask what the solution might be - population control, because there will never be enough jobs for the population today? Or some other solution?

Outsourcing our raw materials and even products such as steel are also inevitable, given that other nations provide those more cheaply than we can ourselves.

Forget the "service industry" concept because that, too, has been heavily outsourced to foreign nations because it is cheaper. That greedy profit motive again. And let's face it - we can't all be service nations. The Chinese are now trying to convert to being a major service provider since the deep drop in American consumer goods orders along with the same from Europe, so maybe we should watch them and see how it works with almost 1.5 billion people to feed. The problem is that newly developing nations can always under bid the more developed nations. And here in America a lot of the service personnel we encounter come from two unusual sources considering the type of information they routinely process. A small amount of it is handled by religious orders such as monks, while the bulk of American catalog sales, ticket bookings, credit card shopping and so forth is handled by...ready for it...inmates. That's right...convicts. They are much, much cheaper - only about two dollars a day in wages -than any other labor source.

One solution that no one ever talks about is rolling back wages and prices to an earlier era. Overnight America would become the cheapest source of manufactured goods, raw materials and even service industries. Ironically, this would also end the illegal alien problem, since they would make less money here than back home.

Looking at the job situation, there is an enormous amount of work to be done in major areas such as infrastructure repair and replacement, but the sheer costs of even one mile of modern roadway these days means t isn't going to happen. All over America, bridges, highways, secondary roads and other public-use structures are deteriorating and no one can afford to replace them or even in most cases repair them. Nothing gets done until they fail, and that is usually a lethal catastrophe.

Of course, if we stopped fighting everyone else's wars, we would have a lot of money to put into the nation itself, but that isn't likely in our lifetimes either. Ironically, the shutdown of most of the defense industry without the constant destruction of military equipment and the need to produce more and more replacements would put countless more people out of work.

Such is the world we have created for ourselves.

Personally, I wish we could go back in time as Stonewall suggested. Life was better in many ways before all the automation, hi-tech and the evolution of human workers into replacement parts for corporations, but I fear we would simply do the same stupid things all over again.

What the entire planet needs is about five billion fewer people, but we have screwed ourselves again by developing the ability to keep plagues, starvation and such events from killing the huge numbers of people that used to die off when resources no longer met needs. Even the Spanish Flu wouldn't do nearly the damage it did in the early 20th century.

We are, as Pogo so famously said, our own worst enemies.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 08 Aug 19, 21:18.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                      I think the internet and all the social media outlets have a lot to do with some of our problems. There is almost instant gratification to some idiot who wants to harm people. A simple search lets someone connect with another wacko who may think just like you do. There is so little real time interaction between people anymore...Ö.. especially the younger ones...ÖÖ..notice most of these mass killers lately are from the age group who grew up on social media...ÖÖ...
                      Agreed ,and curiously, despite the claim that the NSA can monitor and screen every single call everywhere using key words as a major tool against terrorism, it never seems to work against a couple of crazies plotting on their cellphones or through social media to murder a bunch of people in broad daylight.

Comment

Women have been in the workforce forever. Remember Cleopatra the powerful Egyptian leader , Joan of Arc the heroic French Catholic praised centuries after her death by Napoleon Bonaparte, Catherine of Aragon the great Catholic of England that led her army successfully against The Kingdom of Scotland.
                        I feel that I should point out here that a ruler and a religious zealot are not examples of "women in the workforce". There were plenty of those, but they were mere brute force labor like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

It was still a prescribed curriculum when I was there (1972-1976). The curriculum was overwhelmingly math and science. In four years I had only eight electives, and those were in military history. The history department was excellent and the school also has a world-class library.

That being said, West Point is still considered one of the top three engineering schools in the country and may be the most difficult school to get into.

I want you to know I've never doubted or questioned your education. I know for a fact that you are a well educated man. You were at WP back when the curriculum was top notch and their liberal arts was not of the humanities kind.

Back on topic...

A lot of problems today also have to do with the broken family structure. Do families even sit down together at the dinner table anymore? I grew up with dinner every night at 6:30pm sharp with my entire family of 10, had to eat everything on my plate then ask to be excused.
                          "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post

I want you to know I've never doubted or questioned your education. I know for a fact that you are a well educated man. You were at WP back when the curriculum was top notch and their liberal arts was not of the humanities kind.

Back on topic...

A lot of problems today also have to do with the broken family structure. Do families even sit down together at the dinner table anymore? I grew up with dinner every night at 6:30pm sharp with my entire family of 10, had to eat everything on my plate then ask to be excused.
                            So did I, and that was when family business was reviewed, encouragement and criticism passed out, and the family keep up to speed on every member's activities on their role in making them happen successfully. And afterwards, cleanup and homework was the mandatory order of the day, along with anything else that Mother or Father needed done.

The disintegration of the "nuclear family" occurred largely due to both parents working to take part in the "good life" sooner, and was completed by the socially isolating phenomenon of the cellphone, the PC and video games, especially the handheld ones. I see families eating together in restaurants and they are all, including the parents, locked onto the screen of their 'phones.

There is also the growing problem of single parent families brought about initially by welfare mothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Given the overriding profit motive, automation is inevitable. It wasn't done before because the technology wasn't there. Now it is and millions have lost their jobs to it. That lead me to ask what the solution might be - population control, because there will never be enough jobs for the population today? Or some other solution?

Outsourcing our raw materials and even products such as steel are also inevitable, given that other nations provide those more cheaply than we can ourselves.

Forget the "service industry" concept because that, too, has been heavily outsourced to foreign nations because it is cheaper. That greedy profit motive again. And let's face it - we can't all be service nations. The Chinese are now trying to convert to being a major service provider since the deep drop in American consumer goods orders along with the same from Europe, so maybe we should watch them and see how it works with almost 1.5 billion people to feed. The problem is that newly developing nations can always under bid the more developed nations. And here in America a lot of the service personnel we encounter come from two unusual sources considering the type of information they routinely process. A small amount of it is handled by religious orders such as monks, while the bulk of American catalog sales, ticket bookings, credit card shopping and so forth is handled by...ready for it...inmates. That's right...convicts. They are much, much cheaper - only about two dollars a day in wages -than any other labor source.

One solution that no one ever talks about is rolling back wages and prices to an earlier era. Overnight America would become the cheapest source of manufactured goods, raw materials and even service industries. Ironically, this would also end the illegal alien problem, since they would make less money here than back home.

Looking at the job situation, there is an enormous amount of work to be done in major areas such as infrastructure repair and replacement, but the sheer costs of even one mile of modern roadway these days means t isn't going to happen. All over America, bridges, highways, secondary roads and other public-use structures are deteriorating and no one can afford to replace them or even in most cases repair them. Nothing gets done until they fail, and that is usually a lethal catastrophe.

Of course, if we stopped fighting everyone else's wars, we would have a lot of money to put into the nation itself, but that isn't likely in our lifetimes either. Ironically, the shutdown of most of the defense industry without the constant destruction of military equipment and the need to produce more and more replacements would put countless more people out of work.

Such is the world we have created for ourselves.

Personally, I wish we could go back in time as Stonewall suggested. Life was better in many ways before all the automation, hi-tech and the evolution of human workers into replacement parts for corporations, but I fear we would simply do the same stupid things all over again.

What the entire planet needs is about five billion fewer people, but we have screwed ourselves again by developing the ability to keep plagues, starvation and such events from killing the huge numbers of people that used to die off when resources no longer met needs. Even the Spanish Flu wouldn't do nearly the damage it did in the early 20th century.

We are, as Pogo so famously said, our own worst enemies.
                              Very interesting remarks. I agree with a lot of what you said here. I would say wrt the population numbers if we look at history...various empires and kingdoms of the world had huge population compared to other entities of the world that had much less people. Consider what the Roman and Persian empire and even the various kingdoms of Europe through history had to do to deal with populations. I suppose an argument could even be made that the world needs more people as we still have areas that can be populated. Thereís a Ton of room in Canada, South America and Africa. Australia as well

What I am wondering is in this day and age of advanced technology.. is there another Henry Ford growing up as we speak? An American visionary who will go on to perhaps open up some kind of high tech plants that include robots but also that offers jobs to millions of Americans.

Not to mention the issue of college debt thatís an issue facing Americans. Thereís more college debt in our country than ever in our history. I have an older brother who is a successful lawyer And he has about $100,000 in student loans he is still paying off. Donít get me wrong heís doing great heís on his second house already. But there are other college graduates who are so deep in debt and they are not even working in their field

I agree that The United States should be careful with regards to her foreign-policy especially if we are sending troops overseas.

You talk about the bad road conditions and the deteriorating bridges in our country thatís a great point. I can say here in Buffalo some work has been done to repair the major potholes in the road but there is still much more work to be done. And this is a way to put Americans to work this is where the city can use itís money righteously and pay fellow Americans to clean up the roads thatís a start I think
                              Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 09 Aug 19, 18:31.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I feel that I should point out here that a ruler and a religious zealot are not examples of "women in the workforce". There were plenty of those, but they were mere brute force labor like everyone else.
                                Those were important woman of history that I listed that were in a leadership role. But youíre right though that they were not manual laborers. That said I did show in this thread that in The Us during the world war two era and beyond that women worked the steel and auto jobs. The first point shows us that women have been looked up to as leaders in history and the second point shows us that women have contributed to the labor force Right here in United States in the 1940s and 1950s.

Some of your other points in this thread about movies and videogames I partially agree with that. It seems that too many of our movies today glorify the wrong things. We need more films that pay homage to the great men and women of history such as Braveheart, or saving Private Ryan....These are motivational films that make people feel good and we need those types of films because they also preach very good values

George S Patton

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X