No announcement yet.

Time To Clear The Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We also have a # of online dating apps, and that is good and bad...of course in the 1940s there was no online dating, and btw the divorce rate was a lot lower back in those days. So online dating and its benefits and drawbacks need to be studied.

On jobs...The jobs have been decimated in our country. The middle class is not what it used to be. The days of American pioneers such as Henry Ford providing good work to millions have been substituted for mega rich people that open up huge stores and fast food chains that pay little and often provide a unhealthy product to the people. In the 1970s, my Dad started at ford motor company making 4.45 an hour and that was the same as making 30$ an hour today. By God , the USA was once a heroic country with a very strong middle class.Our economy skyrocketed due to the work of a real American leader that was FDR. Now a days if one is even lucky to get a job at Ford..you start off making 17$ an hour with a guy next to you that is making 30$+ per hour all because he or she started 10 years earlier. The days of equal pay for equal work must come back. Because nowadays at Ford equal pay for equal work is gone... That is truly a shot in the chest to the American middle class. In the 1970s at Ford, after 90 days you were making the same as a guy whom worked the job for multiple years...that was justice, that was what it was like to grow up in a good and righteous country. How ugly it is to see sights of torn down factories in our country, but how beautiful it will be once the middle class jobs come back, if they dont come back our country will get more poor and more violent.
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Instead of arguing and blaming all of the time, why don't we try a discussion centered on what we believe needs to be fixed. For the moment, let's ignore the many obstacles to actually fixing anything and simply focus on what we perceive as the major problem areas facing America today.

I see some of those areas as, in no particular order:

violence , profanity and lack of morality in films, television and video games

schools, at all levels, especially colleges. We need practical education.

lack of vocational training programs such as used to be common in the American schools system.

the removal of religion and things like the Pledge of Allegiance from public entities and sports. ( and yes, I am agnostic but I grew up in the system noted)

ethics, scruples and morals.

the disintegration of the core family unit

cell phones and loss of social skills

poor role models/the glorification of the useless rather than those who create and do

joblessness

the rise of the ultra-rich oligarchy

judicial activism

racism

anti-Americanism

Balkanization:

drugs

illegals

constantly increasing taxation without commeasurate return to the citizen (get what you pay for)

needless wars

foreign aid

Hostile politic practices in lieu of actual functional government

need for term limits/reform political office practices

That's my starting list, and I can see it growing longer. What I am hoping for is an open, honest, non-hostile discussion of what you see as problems and what, if anything, you would do to fix them, without regard for the obvious obstacles. just your idea of a solution and how you would see it working out. Hopefully we can clear the air, sort all of this out into meaningful categories and at least share out ideas of how it might be changed.

For example, I listed ethics, morals and scruples. America already practices a massive form of behavior modification and mind control. We call it advertising and we are bombarded with it 24/7. We "need" this, we "have to have" that; we will be smarter, healthier, sexier, happier if we "do this". Why not use that powr to instill better values, patriotism and other needed qualities?

Can't do it, you say? But we already have, especially during WWII. look at the way the films made them presented things to the audience and you will see a very effective propaganda campaign. And our advertising, as mentioned, is nothing more than a form of behavioral modification to create more/more profitable consumers.

Let's make films, TV shows and video games that do not celebrate drug dealers, pimps and murderers as the action hero stars, but instead present law enforcement and the citizenry as the good guys. That's how it used to be.

That's my opening presentation. Not my most polished work, but from the heart, especially the part about discussing without rancor, flaming or political confrontation. It doesn't matter for now who is responsible for what. All parties share blame, as do we ourselves. So how do we fix it?
      Well thats because in the WW2 era our country had honor. And Americans black and white, men and women worked the steel and auto jobs and also served overseas in a variety of ways. It is a proven fact that millions of steel and auto jobs are today in the tens of thousands. And if we are not going to bring back steel and auto jobs, we need to find another resource that will provide Americans jobs in the millions...or else the country is doomed.

IDK if the USA will come back to the glory days it once enjoyed. Seems even that some fellow Americans are relegated to losing the middle class jobs in favor of Robots. But there is always hope. It starts somewhere, Rome was not built in a day. So the USA can come back to its glory days.
      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        As far as these shootings go, and it is a problem in America in general, I think what we're looking at is the result of a Leftist war on boys, men, and masculinity.

In our public education system roughly 80% of all teachers are women. In K - 6 it's close to 100%. That's a problem. Boys have no male supervision and get no male role models.

"Free range" kids are a rarity in the US now. Let your kid(s) roam the neighborhood and you're likely to end up arrested. Just letting your kids walk home alone from school can get you arrested some places in the US

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/fre...ry?id=29363859

Schools generally have outlawed all sorts of typical boy's play. Roughhousing, any game involving contact, it's all made verboten.

Then you have the mentality that is pushed on students throughout their school years. You need to go to college. Vocational trades and skills are minimalized in public education. For females, those that can't go to college can still marry "up." That is, they can marry a man who did go to college. Many females go to college taking easier liberal arts degrees but mostly to get an "Mrs" degree. That is, married to a successful college educated male. Boys don't have that option so they are shut out if they can't or won't learn a trade and aren't college material.

There are few all-male institutions and organizations left today and they are typically vilified where they do exist by the MSM and Left.

The "participation trophy" and lack of real competition and challenge in most of society as kids grow up only makes this whole problem larger. For those boys that aren't the "jocks" at their school or top athletes, those that don't excel at STEM education skills, there just isn't anything. They are left with few alternatives and little visible future.

There's a lot of our culture that allows females to simply say that some male did whatever and the male is then put through a Stalinist-Kafkaesque trial. The outcome doesn't matter, the male is ruined for life regardless.

The traditional outlets for surplus male population were typically manual labor and the military (aka war). Those are gone so what do you do with males that aren't likely to marry (being poor husband material by female standards) and can't be productive at a high skill, high education job?
        Well, having them live in their parent's basement while playing video games 24/7 isn't much of an answer.

In my view that's the problem here, not some idiotic idea like evil White Nationalism. In fact, much of the above probably attracts young adult males to radical movements on both fringes. Certainly urban gangs give that same group something they crave: An all-male setting, where physical violence and competition are omnipresent. Gangs also hold initiations and other ritualistic male institutions within them. They make boys into men... evil, criminal men, but men.

So, my view is that these shootings are a result of radical Leftist political views like radical feminism, the rise of the LGBTPDQRSTU movement, and a denigration of traditional male institutions in the name of "Equality."
        You hit the nail on the head!

As a matter of fact, this war on boys, men, and masculinity is extremely destructive.

When it comes to all-male institutions and organizations those are being undermined and infiltrated. Boys and men are no longer to have anything that is for their sex, and their sex only. Nothing is left alone, not even the boy scouts.

Lastly (on "equality")

When women (i.e feminists) talk about equality it is never about equality, it is always about them being in charge. Feminism is about supremacy. This needs to be understood as well as always pointed out when feminists starts yapping about equality.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post

History, even military history, is a liberal arts degree.
          Engineering isn't.

By the way, what is wrong with a liberal arts degree? Seems there is a problem with understanding the term 'liberal.'
          We are not now that strength which in old days
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
            Engineering isn't.
            It is if it's from a liberal arts engineering school. They are engineering programs that are wholly housed in liberal arts universities.
            “Someone who doesn’t know is less stupid than someone who wrongly think he knows."

Comment

We are all students of history here, in one form or another. We have to look at the problem from that viewpoint, and try to remove ourselves from the fact that we're living here and now in the midst of a great sociological shift. All those points are valid, in my opinion, but are symptomatic of the bigger underlying issue.

The industrial revolution built the middle class in our nation, and, along side geographical protection and diversity, vast wealth of natural resources, and a large pool of workers unhindered by the European caste model from which they escaped, made this nation into a world power. Prior to that, we were largely an agrarian society with mostly an upper class, and everyone else. The industrial revolution pulled those farmers into the cities to fill factory jobs and, over time and many ugly struggles, gave them a source of reliable and expendable income not experienced before. They now had luxuries they didn't have, and free time. Education became more prominent and society grew and developed. With that education came new developments and technologies, and new problems. The difference in human existence in 1850 was not that drastically different from 50 A. D. Which gets us to the technological revolution.

As we've moved from the industrial to the technological revolution the effects on society has been monumental. Almost all of the points listed above are a direct result of it. Increased education, leisure time, expendable income across more of the society as a whole, has changed dramatically how our society functions. The blue collar working class as we knew it is largely dead, for the most part. We no longer need 3 shifts of thousands of men on an assembly line to create goods. It can be accomplished with a few hundred or less and some robots or machines. Production scale farming has mostly eliminated the small family farms which required large families to maintain. Society, due to technology, has shifted to a service based economy more than ever. That model does not require a huge labor force, which leaves the middle class struggling to find its place again.

All these changes affect how we as a society interact. Comfort and safety permits laziness, erodes moral structures, devalues the family structure, hampers self-reliance and independence away from government agencies (putting all the power back in the hands of the chosen few, if you will), and generally instills a laissez faire attitude that is rapidly destroying us from within. It can be seen everywhere. As long as I've got mine, I don't care much what's going on. The farther we get from a subsistence living, the more society will decline. There is a balancing point between comfort of advancements and strength of social structures. I fear we hit that point around the 50's-60's. I often wonder if we can solve this problem, or if a large scale "reset" of some kind is necessary. Is that social utopia ever possible, or are we hardwired to live at a certain level and are simply hitting critical mass? I do believe that we need to step outside our daily existence and try to view it from a broader sociological and historical perspective if we have any hopes of finding an answer.

Comment

So is the teaching of logic and many other degrees. Business, law, medicine. What isn't liberal arts?
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post

It is if it's from a liberal arts engineering school. They are engineering programs that are wholly housed in liberal arts universities.
                  Mine wasn't-unless you consider West Point a liberal arts school. It isn't-it's one of the top three engineering schools in the nation. It was founded in 1802 on the model of the French Ecole Polytechnique, a premier military school to produce engineers and artillery officers.

And your idea that engineering programs in liberal arts universities are not engineering but liberal arts is ludicrous.

Where did you go to school?
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

And getting a masters in military history teaches a person how to use source material, how to study and write history, and that includes the use of period memoirs as source material.

Comment

This a topic I have an interest in discussing but so far only Mountain Man has attempted to list the priorities.

I think it would be useful to start with the obvious necessities of securing water, food, shelter and law enforcement. Even such rudimentary elements of civilization require the cooperation of all levels of society to create basic security.
                      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                        This a topic I have an interest in discussing but so far only Mountain Man has attempted to list the priorities.

I think it would be useful to start with the obvious necessities of securing water, food, shelter and law enforcement. Even such rudimentary elements of civilization require the cooperation of all levels of society to create basic security.
                        Maslow...right.

Law enforcement seems to need a major overhaul, along with the justice system itself. The priorities need to change completely in favor of victims and intended victims.

More mental health, for example, is provided by the state for perps than is ever even considered for the victims.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

So far this is not going as I expected, and I know for certain that I have not identified all of the areas of concern, so what did I miss?

And where are the thoughts on fixing these problems? Let's not make this another forum argument based on partisan politics that goes nowhere.

Put on your thinking caps, and let's dig into the meaningful stuff.

If robots, for example, do away with human jobs, what are the options? Population control? Other jobs? If so, what?

The societal attack on masculinity was good observation. How can it be countered? My first answer would be film and television, which oddly enough have been a male bastion for a very long time, although in the last decade or so it has slipped considerably. Why?

Why is it so feared to be a fully feminine woman? Where is the compromise? My parents were married for 75 years. They always presented a united front to the world, and although my father was the official family spokesman, I knew that my mother had a huge vote in what he said and did, and that he made very few decisions without consulting her. What was wrong with that concept? (Quite bit, actually, but you have to know WWII and post-war history and society to understand how it all worked.)

Women today want...what? To be paid equally? Absolutely, for equal work. To be promoted equally? Absolutely, but NO female preference. That's not equality. To do exactly the same work men do? That's an unreal expectation. Physically, women are quite different and not built for the kind of strenuous physicality that males are. They do, however, excel in other areas, such as flying where their higher G-tolerance and faster reactions are an advantage. But to expect a female to hump a 100 pound ruck' in the Afghan desert is insane. That's a strain for a lot of males, let alone the female physical machine.

And how many men, realistically, are looking for a physical competitor, rather than a companion who brings with her her own special abilities and insights to the relationship, along with her femininity? The concept lately that to be a feminine woman is somehow bad is totally insane. Hollywoody and Television Land are guilty for this one, along with the feminists.

Time to re-think our expectations and replace them within a real-world framework. And TV and La-La Land can be the key to reshaping how we see things, as they can in so many other areas. I seriously doubt that I am the only person who thinks the entertainment industry needs to accept the responsibility for their formidable role in shaping our society and get with the program, instead of advancing idiocy for profit.

The key here, and in many other areas of concern, is accountablity. You break it - you fix it. And in considering this, remember the incredible power of large groups of people who all want the same things.

Comment

schools, at all levels, especially colleges. We need practical education.

lack of vocational training programs such as used to be common in the American schools system.
                            What is 'practical education'?

In my son's high school, there were vocational classes and my son took two of them. They were electives such as masonry, welding, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

So is the teaching of logic and many other degrees. Business, law, medicine. What isn't liberal arts?
                              Medicine, math, science, chemistry all of the hard sciences. Because a course or a degree is offered at a predominantly liberal arts college does not make that course liberal arts.

If you attend a predominantly black college, are you therefore now black?
                              according to your own logic, yes, you would be.

Comment

If you attend a predominantly black college, are you therefore now black?
                                according to your own logic, yes, you would be.
                                Going from the sublime to the ridiculous...or worse.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X