Clear All

• Do you support Red Flag laws?

Yes
    18.18%
    No
    81.82%
    Don't have an opinion
    0%
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Nope and I don't support ANY gun control, I do support people control. With all these shootings, there were enough warning signs. I recommend canceled carry to allow citizens to be the first line of defense against active shooters.
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Red Flag laws allow police to confiscate firearms from any citizen based merely on the testimony of a niehbor, a family member or anyone else.
      The stupidity of these feel good for the liberals law is this:
      If someone one is threatening to themselves or others they should be taken off the streets. Disarming them and leaving them in their home is a recipe for retaliation with a hammer, knife, screwdriver , rock, stick, crowbar or their bare hands.
      The threat is from the individual the weapon is secondary.
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
        Nope and I don't support ANY gun control, I do support people control. With all these shootings, there were enough warning signs. I recommend canceled carry to allow citizens to be the first line of defense against active shooters.
        I think you mean "concealed" carry rather than "canceled" carry and otherwise I agree, armed citizens at a scene could and should be first line of defense for an unexpected episode.

"Red Flag laws" raises so many issues such as whom defines the terms and conditions, applies same, will there be an appeal process, etc. We have several enough laws regards weapons ownership and use in crime, even constraining access; comes a point where you can't control everything or prevent all "get arounds".
        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

I support red flag laws so long as they are designed that the person to be "flagged" gets their day in court. Any law where someone can report you and you lose rights as a result based solely on their testimony is absolutely wrong. It's as wrong as taking away your gun rights permanently for a misdemeanor domestic violence charge. Just because you and your spouse, or whatever had a spat shouldn't remove a constitutional Right forever. On that one, I'd also say that both parties involved lose their gun Rights for a period like a year on the first go 'round.

Red flagging should be available to identify potentially dangerous persons, but at the same time those so flagged need to get a say in things before they have Rights removed. The law should assume the person flagged is innocent until proven otherwise.

Comment

This will become another weapon of divorce attorneys, Look judge, the police had to disarm the plaintiff!
            If someone is a threat, put them on a 72 hr. hold

Comment

No, If my neighbor declares me crazy because he doesn't like me or I pissed him off, shouldn't prevent me from purchasing a firearm, but what's really sticking in my craw are HIPPA laws preventing my psychiatrist from revealing to the background check that I am.
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                No, If my neighbor declares me crazy because he doesn't like me or I pissed him off, shouldn't prevent me from purchasing a firearm, but what's really sticking in my craw are HIPPA laws preventing my psychiatrist from revealing to the background check that I am.
                Hippa laws have gone way too far...……….when I make out those "privacy" forms and they ask who may have my information I just put "anyone who asks"

Comment

Who is supposed to make the decision to call the police? My Father died a few years back and he had been a gun collector for his adult years. When he went downhill physically and mentally, my Brother called me and said he was worried about Dad because he had made a few statements about ending his life. I knew every gun in his collection. Well my Brother said he picked up the guns and offered me several. I noticed he did not mention a couple of Browning Model 12's. I considered them high in value in his collection. Instead he tried to get to accept his old shotgun, and a decripid Spanish Mauser. He ended up bringing me a Bolt Action 7mm, which I accepted, thinking we would divide the rest of the guns when he died. When Dad died we had a meeting with the lawyer to settle the estate. I brought up the two shotguns and my Brother claimed that Dad gave them to him years ago and he traded them away for another gun. His attitude was I had to prove Dad had NOT given them to him! Dad told me I was the executor of the estate years before and he would have told me he had given some of his guns away.

I have not spoken to that Brother since. He makes over $300K a year and could have paid for his own guns. I talked to his ex-wife and son and found out the Boy was 18 and about to graduate High School. My Brother had told him he would get a shotgun of his, but he would "keep it for him" until he was older. We were both given a 22 and a 16 Gauge shotgun by the age of 13. We kept them in our bedroom under the beds. I asked the boy if he was sure he was going to graduate? He looked at me like I was crazy and said of course he was. I took him out to my car and gave him a brand new Pardner Pump 12 Gauge I had just bought. Unfortunately for me he wanted to go out and shoot it and I had no such place to go. I did make sure he was able to break it down and reassemble it.

By the way, the gun he "gave" to his son was one of Dad's shotguns he had recently offered to me...

I don't think the local Law Enforcement should be able to keep any guns confiscated.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I seriously doubt that law enforcement has the resources to process the tens of thousands of false allegations that such laws will induce. Even if they did homicidal maniacs will eventually get released and be just as dangerous as before. Then you have to consider how many people that make threats don't actually carry them out and how many that actually intend to do harm will simply no longer make threats before acting.

If something sounds too good to be true it generally is.
                    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

I think you mean "concealed" carry rather than "canceled" carry and otherwise I agree, armed citizens at a scene could and should be first line of defense for an unexpected episode.

"Red Flag laws" raises so many issues such as whom defines the terms and conditions, applies same, will there be an appeal process, etc. We have several enough laws regards weapons ownership and use in crime, even constraining access; comes a point where you can't control everything or prevent all "get arounds".
                      Yes, concealed carry it is.
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Police in Fernadale Maryland shot and killed a 61 year old man that refused to surrender his gun. They called on him at 5 something am in the morning. He was carrying it when he answered the door, but placed it down when he saw the officers. They tried to take it and in the ensuing struggle the gun went off. One officer shot the man dead while he struggled with the other officer. The discharge of the man's pistol drew return fire.

In Maryland it seems the law enforcement officers show up with a court order and just take the firearms. No mention was made of who made the complaint. No mention of what the law enforcement does with any firearms seized.

At the very least the person should get a court hearing and be able face his accusers. This sounds like it violates a right to face your accusers.

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                          This will become another weapon of divorce attorneys, Look judge, the police had to disarm the plaintiff!
                          If someone is a threat, put them on a 72 hr. hold

It already is used by divorce attorneys.
                          Frequently, the first notice the male has that his marriage is ending is when his wife (at the direction of her attorney) files an order of protections against the husband.
                          This gets him thrown out of the house for at least 2 weeks.
                          And, if played right by the attorney and the wife can result in the confiscation of his guns.
                          The husband should be able to get them back but it can take a while.

As he will be required to disclose the order of protection whenever he purchases a gun in the future, it may impact him forever..

I do not support “red flag laws”. The post by Pruitt is one of the reasons.
                          If we are going to try and declare people incompetent, then we must give those people due process of law. Being accused (and convicted) on the words of neighbors or enemies reminds me too much of the Soviet Union.
                          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

I am not up to date on the laws on this issue, but believe that a psychiatrist has an obligation to inform law enforcement if they believe that there is an imminent likelihood that the patient is going to harm someone.
                            I have no idea if any mental health provider has ever notified law enforcement.
                            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Red flag law is nothing more than a more delicate way of stripping Americans of their guns and 2nd amendment rights. It has the same effect of an outright ban, it just takes longer to execute and the democrats in republican clothing are on the verge of allowing it to happen.
                              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                              - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X