No announcement yet.

Robot racism? Yes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to dive into the root cause for any of this to make sense.

So Kye decided to take a novel approach. Instead of looking at small sample sizes in urban areas, he only examined data from 27,891 suburban middle-class neighborhoods using census data from 1990, 2000 and 2010. Kye figured that would eliminate a neighborhood’s socioeconomic status from the equation. After all, if whites were found to have left middle-class suburban neighborhoods when minorities moved in, it would have to be because of race, right?

Turns out, it was about race all along.

In the 2,352 neighborhoods that showed instances of white flight (when 100 white people or 25 percent of the white people packed up their Subarus and left), Kye found some astounding results. (And by “astounding” I mean, if Captain Obvious pointed this out, he would be demoted to sergeant, maybe even private.)

Kye found that middle-class whites were more likely than whites in poor neighborhoods to leave a neighborhood once minorities moved in. And despite what many believe, their fear of being infected with melanin wasn’t limited to that of blacks. Kye found that Hispanics and Asians moving into mostly white suburbs produced white flight at similar levels to that resulting from black people moving into the Caucasian hoods.

Even though gentrification is one of the favorite sports of white America, Kye’s research shows that, for some reason, colonizers don’t like their neighborhoods being colonized.

And it has nothing to do with crime, poverty, schools or socioeconomics. They just don’t like living around people of color. The data shows it.
    https://www.theroot.com/new-study-sh...lac-1825544447

If there's still an issue with simply living among one other, obviously these 'white only' preferences are going to permeate into our entertainment as well.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Here's another recent example of whites taking issue with the race of a movie character.

Idris Elba has been in the James Bond conversation for years, but the actor says he’s bothered by some of the racial references that pop up when he’s mentioned as the next 007.

In fact, the Luther star finds it troubling that some people don’t think he could play the suave super spy because he’s black.

“You just get disheartened when you get people from a generational point of view going, ‘It can’t be.’ And it really turns out to be the color of my skin,” Elba says in the August issue of Vanity Fair. “And then if I get it and it didn’t work, or it did work, would it be because of the color of my skin? That’s a difficult position to put myself into when I don’t need to.”
      https://deadline.com/2019/06/idris-e...sh-1202640044/
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

I did read it and noted it was from New Zealand.

I also noticed that the researcher claimed it was due to bias against African Americans.....
        Yes, according to the study the participants showed different psychological triggers when viewing different skin colored robots.

This must be breaking news in RW medialand.

Comment

This is idiocy. I suppose choosing a car color is somehow racist too. Cars are a machine, just like robots...

Bigots and racists see bigotry and racism in everything. Normal people do not.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            This is idiocy. I suppose choosing a car color is somehow racist too. Cars are a machine, just like robots...

Bigots and racists see bigotry and racism in everything. Normal people do not.
            Not really. The depiction of robots are very life like, humanoids, not true with something like a car. But, according to the people protesting the little mermaid movie, mermaids can only be white! What's the difference between having racial preference for a robot and a mermaid? There isn't any difference. So yes, I'd like to know where the racism and bias will end. Taking white bias as far as mermaids is what's idiotic, but unfortunately it's very real.
            - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                If there's still an issue with simply living among one other, obviously these 'white only' preferences are going to permeate into our entertainment as well.
                Is Chinatown racist? How about Little Italy? I'm from Pittsburgh where we have Polish Hill. Is that racist too? Should the government or society step in to break these areas up in the sake of diversity? Lmao Try that approach in NYC!

I appreciate diversity of other cultures, but I always fail to understand why people wanting to live amongst people of their own ethnic and cultural backgrounds is racist. That's right, I forgot... Hipsters in the Hood is gentrification - Bad, Blacks in Suburbia is diversity - Good. Humans are tribal by nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                  My younger daughter had a speaking Erkel doll. It went through doll hell. BabyGirl was hard on her toys! All her workers were Black so that did not affect her.

Pruitt
                  you are a superb dad, Pruitt

Machinery is painted white so that leaking oils, fluids, greases and rust show up easily
                  The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Kye found that middle-class whites were more likely than whites in poor neighborhoods to leave a neighborhood once minorities moved in. And despite what many believe, their fear of being infected with melanin wasn’t limited to that of blacks. Kye found that Hispanics and Asians moving into mostly white suburbs produced white flight at similar levels to that resulting from black people moving into the Caucasian hoods.
                    What I want to know is why Kye say white suburbs when it's Asians and Hispanics moving in but it's Caucasian hoods when black people move into white suburbs. Now THAT is racist, IMO!
                    Last edited by Persephone; 02 Aug 19, 18:39.
                    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhat View Post

Is Chinatown racist? How about Little Italy? I'm from Pittsburgh where we have Polish Hill. Is that racist too? Should the government or society step in to break these areas up in the sake of diversity? Lmao Try that approach in NYC!

I appreciate diversity of other cultures, but I always fail to understand why people wanting to live amongst people of their own ethnic and cultural backgrounds is racist. That's right, I forgot... Hipsters in the Hood is gentrification - Bad, Blacks in Suburbia is diversity - Good. Humans are tribal by nature.
                      No one said that the government should do anything. That information was only provided to put this discussion into proper context. To understand why white people want to see white robots, or white mermaids as I used as another example, you first have to understand that whites, in large, still prefer white only spaces and hold racial biases. With that context, the robots story makes more sense.

As the article also notes, whites move out when any non-white ethnic group starts to move in. Whether it be Hispanic, Asian or Black.

And please don't project.
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post

What I want to know is why Kye say white suburbs when it's Asians and Hispanics moving in but it's Caucasian hoods when black people move into white suburbs. Now THAT is racist, IMO!
                        There's a lot of sarcastic humor throughout the article.
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I thought this topic of the day could be safely filed in the conservative cabinet: "self-loathing liberal intellectuals perform anti-white racism topic # 9,989??"
                          Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
                          Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
                          Barbarossa Derailed I & II
                          Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Black people are mostly dark brown and white people pink. There are exceptions such as heavy white makeup used in China and Japan or 18th century Europe. The preference for white skin in females doesn't seem to be associated with race but class.

There is also a preference for white where cleanliness needs to be readily apparent. Most appliances were originally white and that may carry over into a robot that functions as an appliance.

You won't find many black walls but white is a popular choice. Pink and brown are also popular colors.

Most likely robot are more often white so they can easily be seen against dark backgrounds and because expressions are more difficult to make out in dark images. Then there is simply the fact that black is associated with dark intent as in a dark heart. None of which has anything to do with race.
                            We hunt the hunters

Comment

Exactly, but the Victim Brigade will keep on whining anyway.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

No one said that the government should do anything. That information was only provided to put this discussion into proper context. To understand why white people want to see white robots, or white mermaids as I used as another example, you first have to understand that whites, in large, still prefer white only spaces and hold racial biases. With that context, the robots story makes more sense.

As the article also notes, whites move out when any non-white ethnic group starts to move in. Whether it be Hispanic, Asian or Black.

And please don't project.
                                Your constant claims that white people are biased towards white are unsupported and reveal your own racial bias...no one else's. You certainly do not speak for me, or for any of millions of other American citizens.
                                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X