No announcement yet.

Has America become addicted to outrage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has America become addicted to outrage?

This is a timely topic for forum members to think about as the monitors are struggling to foster civility among the members.
    Hopefully we can discuss this without becoming outraged..
    It is a bit of read but well worth it,

Outrage nation: Can America overcome its addiction to anger?

WHY WE WROTE THIS

Twenty years ago, observers worried that apathy was the biggest threat to the American psyche. Today, that seems quaint. How can Americans turn off the outrage machine that urges them to get angry about . . . well, everything?
    https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...ction-to-anger
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

People complain there are too many lawyers, maybe there are too many journalist, money to be made in outrage.

I think its ridiculous people complaining about the President behavior when all you need to do is get stuck in rush hour traffic in a large city for an hour, talk about outrage.

I haven't watched any late night tv shows for years, all they do is fuss about Trump outrage, boring, get some funny material.
    Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 20 Jul 19, 18:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
      This is a timely topic for forum members to think about as the monitors are struggling to foster civility among the members.
      Hopefully we can discuss this without becoming outraged..
      It is a bit of read but well worth it,

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...ction-to-anger
      The outrage did not just occur. It is a result of a long period of frustration, anger and resentment at the unwillingness and inability of organizations of all sizes and complexities to fix problems, while at the same time preventing the people from fixing those problems themselves.

So no, we are not "addicted" to anything, but the causative elements all around are definitely addicted to creating and sustaining as many problems as they can.

Never blame the victims. Blame the perps.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The toxicity in our society is undeniable.
        Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

I am outraged about the outrage, but in reality I could give a S***t.
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

If our founding fathers tried to be civil with the British, we would not be who we are today.

Sometimes anger is a normal reaction.
              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
              - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                If our founding fathers tried to be civil with the British, we would not be who we are today.

Sometimes anger is a normal reaction.
                Clearly you didn't bother reading the article.

Comment

Has America become addicted to outrage?
                  No. It is the same it has always been. What is different is the internet, which allows us to "hear" all the screaming bitchy voices all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

Clearly you didn't bother reading the article.
                    The article doesn't present anything new or profound. It's just bleeding heart bs with a mix of obvious observations.

The premise is wrong, as I don't think this is something that should be stopped.
                    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X