Tale of My Dad's Escape from Communist Hungary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tale of My Dad's Escape from Communist Hungary

This year is my Dad's 50th anniversary of his escape from communist Hungary. He was born into a country that knew no such things like freedom of speech or freedom of religion. He witnessed brutal crackdown on the rebels by Soviet troops in 1956.

As a way of celebrating what freedom means to all of us, here is what my older brother wrote about our Dad's escape.

https://www.libertariannews.org/2012...unist-hungary/
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

why did this have to be posted on a political website and thus being used by others as political rhetoric?

My father is also from a communist country but left in his 40s. He dealt with deprivations (including forced labor) and also benefits (his health care/ education was paid in full, including his education in the USA).

He never used his life experience as an exaggerated story for political propaganda for willfully ignorant American hicks who know of nothing but their own backyard and are brainwashed for many years by an idiotic media system...
    Last edited by Cult Icon; 05 Jul 19, 09:28.
    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
      why did this have to be posted on a political website and thus being used by others as political rhetoric?

My father is also from a communist country but left in his 40s. He dealt with deprivations (including forced labor) and also benefits (his health care/ education was paid in full, including his education in the USA).

He never used his life experience as an exaggerated story for political propaganda for willfully ignorant American hicks who know of nothing but their own backyard and are brainwashed for many years by an idiotic media system...
      My older brothers runs his own political website. This is an old story as it was published in 2012. We never learned much of Dad's escape experience until we asked him few questions and he opened up. Like it or not, his escape experience is also deeply political. He left for both economic and political reasons.
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Yet here you are using your father's story for political rhetoric while bashing Americans...
        Last edited by Nichols; 05 Jul 19, 21:15.
        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
          This year is my Dad's 50th anniversary of his escape from communist Hungary. He was born into a country that knew no such things like freedom of speech or freedom of religion. He witnessed brutal crackdown on the rebels by Soviet troops in 1956.

As a way of celebrating what freedom means to all of us, here is what my older brother wrote about our Dad's escape.

Thanks for sharing. It is a great story.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

His health care and education may not have been paid directly out of his own pocket, but it was paid by "someone", the collctive of fellow citizens via taxes and Debt incurred by the State, in their name.

Here in USA we have a much larger range of media in "the system" that nations where the government controls and limits the number and perspective of the media sources; some is idiotic, some not, and that distinction can vary based upon personal bias, partisan leanings, and prejudice.
            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

I've a next door neighbor whom was involved with Solidarity in Poland back in the 1980s and a "guest" of the KGB for several months. When he was released, they told him he had a few months to get his affairs and family together and out of the country, or he'd be their guest again. He's been here in the USA ever since, is quite happy and proud to be here and a citizen, and would seem to appreciate this nation more than some of our members and posters here, including one above.
              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

God be with you Cheetah and your family.

I also know of a man whom lived in a communist country. My former co worker, a Muslim from the Soviet Union now living in the USA. He had relatives whom fought against the Third Reich in WW2. He said the Soviet times were more family friendly and better in general then what Russia or the USA has to offer today. He has no reason at all to lie, thats his honest view and no one will ever take it from him, same with those from the USSR living in Russia, US or any where in the world that today that criticize the times of the USSR.
                Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                  God be with you Cheetah and your family.

I also know of a man whom lived in a communist country. My former co worker, a Muslim from the Soviet Union now living in the USA. He had relatives whom fought against the Third Reich in WW2. He said the Soviet times were more family friendly and better in general then what Russia or the USA has to offer today. He has no reason at all to lie, thats his honest view and no one will ever take it from him, same with those from the USSR living in Russia, US or any where in the world that today that criticize the times of the USSR.
                  As long they obey Soviet laws and rat out on anybody even remotely suspected of having ties to wrong organizations or holding wrong kind of values, then yeah, they'll be okay surviving in that environment. But it's a precipitous edge that everyone must stand on....forever. It's hard to fully enjoy the fruits of your hard labor and look forward to relative prosperity in your golden age.

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Your Muslim friend from the Soviet union may have forgotten the reality of the times. The KGB and other inclined organizations like the StB routinely used family members to expose other family members for personal profit.

This is a historical fact, not some bar talk almost 30 years after the fall of the Soviet union.

Why did he move to the USA when taxis in Russia are cheaper than uber?
                    Last edited by Nichols; 07 Jul 19, 01:04.

Comment

As long they obey Soviet laws and rat out on anybody even remotely suspected of having ties to wrong organizations or holding wrong kind of values, then yeah, they'll be okay surviving in that environment. But it's a precipitous edge that everyone must stand on....forever. It's hard to fully enjoy the fruits of your hard labor and look forward to relative prosperity in your golden age.
                      The crazy thing about all of that was that years later....it would haunt innocent people. The Czech Republic came out with the Lustrace law in the early 90's. Anyone connected with the StB could not hold a position of office.

The problem was that the StB would talk to Mr. Novak on 3 or 4 different occasions. Each talk would be noted in the StB logbook. Novak could have said all 4 times that he knew nothing....which wasn't logged in the book.

As far as everyone else thought after the wall fell.....Novak was a collaborator because he talked to the StB 4 different times.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Your Muslim friend from the Soviet union may have forgotten the reality of the times. The KGB and other inclined organizations like the StB routinely used family members to expose other family members for personal profit. . . . .
                        It was a matter of state policy to encourage children to inform on their parents.

Pavel Trofimovich Morozov (Russian: Па́вел Трофи́мович Моро́зов; 14 November 1918 – 3 September 1932), better known by the diminutive Pavlik, was a Soviet youth praised by the Soviet press as a martyr. His story, dated to 1932, is that of a 13-year-old boy who denounced his father to the authorities and was in turn killed by his family. His story was a subject of reading, songs, plays, a symphonic poem, a full-length opera and six biographies. The cult had a huge impact on the moral norms of generations of children, who were encouraged to inform on their parents. . . . .

Wikipedia
                        Going on memory, but Robert Conquest, in his biography Stalin: Breaker of Nations, had Stalin saying that Pavlik Morozov was nothing but a nasty little swine, but that the state needed to promote his example nonetheless.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Eastern Bloc states had they own laws and customs. They were different from each other. Fighting against wrong organisations had a basis under it. After all, many countries did that.
                          There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Like Nichols your hearing what you want to hear. If someone was to tell you they lived a happy life in the Soviet Union or any Communist country how would you react? This thread is pure red meat for GOP white folks that believe that Communism is the worst thing ever, never mind the Mafia, AQ, Taliban, The Klan, the failed Democratic goverments of South America, the intolerant Middle east. Interesting is that during WW2 GOP and Democratic Americans worked with the USSR, even after WW2 the Canadian Steel magnate Cyrus S Eaton a Capitalist mind you, urged Co operation between the USSR and the so called west. And for those that want to say well my family had it bad in the USSR, same can be said for some African Americans in the USA , same can be said for many such examples but one has to also look at the big picture.

So while your family as you claim struggled in Communist land, what about black people in the US south in the same time? Cant you see you got good and bad wrt Communists and Capitalists? Because even when racism was alive in the USA, many whites stood up to racism and the USSR also had folks stand for what was right.

The fact that in modern Japan a so called democracy... that trains are segregated by sex because apparently the Japanese Gov does not know how to handle society. The homeless in our world, drug addicts all over and yet folks want to still complain about Communism? Interesting thing is that I probably agree with all your criticisms of Communist people, but the issue is you and a few others are wrong to dislike every single thing related to Communism.

The USSR was not the Third Reich it was an ally of WW2, an ally of the USA people are not going to just forget that. Old white American men the few of them today that still abhor Communism dont get that good Communists exist. Suppose in Russia there is a similar issue of some Russians still disliking everything about America. Its clear the USSR did some good things, national healthcare , free education, great athletes and films.

One can not deny real experiences. Talk about a bad nation thats the Third Reich not the USSR. There are not millions today saying the Reich was great openly, but there are millions today saying the USSR was better then what The USA and Russia have to offer thats the point.

The same ex co worker said that anti Soviets wrote books about Lenin and Stalin for money. He talked of how in the Soviet times there was not homelessness and the family ties were stronger. Nothing you or Nichols says can change what this man experienced. The guy was in his late 60s, has no reason to lie about his experience. I forget exactly where he was from but it was a region inclusive of Soviet Muslims.
                            Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                            Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Like Nichols your hearing what you want to hear.

So while your family as you claim struggled in Communist land

Nothing you or Nichols says can change what this man experienced.
                              The problem with your claim is that we are going by 1st hand family accounts. Not propaganda that we picked up while Ubering around Buffalo.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X