40-foot tall, cross-shaped World War I memorial can continue to stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40-foot tall, cross-shaped World War I memorial can continue to stand

One victory for traditional American values, it may be a small victory, but we have to take what we can get in the ever increasing war with those who seek to destroy our history, cover our past and "fundamentally change our nation "

[QUOTE][WASHINGTON (AP) A World War I memorial in the shape of a 40-foot-tall cross can continue to stand on public land in Maryland, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday.
    The justices, in ruling 7-2 in favor of the cross' backers, concluded that the nearly 100-year-old memorial's presence on a grassy highway median doesn't violate the First Amendment's establishment clause, which prohibits the government from favoring one religion over others.
    The case had been closely watched because it involves the place of religious symbols in public life. Defenders of the cross in Bladensburg had argued that a ruling against them could doom of hundreds of war memorials that use crosses to commemorate soldiers who died.
    "The cross is undoubtedly a Christian symbol, but that fact should not blind us to everything else that the Bladensburg Cross has come to represent," Justice Samuel Alito wrote.
    "For some, that monument is a symbolic resting place for ancestors who never returned home. For others, it is a place for the community to gather and honor all veterans and their sacrifices to our Nation. For others still, it is a historical landmark. For many of these people, destroying or defacing the Cross that has stood undisturbed for nearly a century would not be neutral and would not further the ideals of respect and tolerance embodied in the First Amendment. For all these reasons, the Cross does not offend the Constitution," he wrote.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/su...and/ar-AADazpL
    /QUOTE]
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Some people have nothing better to do.
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Good verdict...
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

These people went all the way to the Supreme Court so that they could desecrate a memorial to the Fallen? I hope they have to pay their own legal fees and go bankrupt.
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          These people went all the way to the Supreme Court so that they could desecrate a memorial to the Fallen? I hope they have to pay their own legal fees and go bankrupt.
          Doubtful, much of it was paid by the taxpayer. Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Justice Sonia Sotomayor dissented, that should tell you about how American they are. An excellent example of why they should bring back bullying.
          My worst jump story:
          No lie.

~
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
            One victory for traditional American values,
            Values like putting religious symbols (of any kind) on public tax payer land? Not eveyone is a Christian in America.
            I'm guessing the Roman torture device is unconstitutional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSwFvpJEdT0

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
              Values like putting religious symbols (of any kind) on public tax payer land? Not eveyone is a Christian in America.

My country was founded by Christians so deal with it.
              My worst jump story:
              No lie.

~
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Move to Russia
                Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                  Here is a sarcastic example of the idiotic people that want to revise, forget or obliterate our history, they are a bunch of morons and I fail to understand their point?
                  Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

only IF YOU fail to wrap the living victims in pine tar and burlap, then set them on fire....

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

And, you'd be wrong. The Constitutional verbiage was to prevent the US from having a state religion like England and many other countries had at the time. That is, it prevented the government from setting up say The Church of England, or declaring Catholicism, or Islam, to be the official religion of the nation.
                      It was never intended to prevent public display of religion, or religious symbols, so long as they weren't being endorsed by the state and forced into official belief on the public.
                      The cross in this case makes a statement about the price the nation paid in a war to win. That it also uses religious symbiology is no big deal except to narrow-minded, Atheists, and other religious bigots who can't tolerate anyone having a different position on religion from their own.
                      The use of the ad hominem in the quote is an example of that religious bigotry. Rather than want to tear this monument down, how about offering to put one of your own up alongside it?

Comment

Inevitable is obviously a guilt ridden hater of our heritage and the founders.

Comment

Colonel Sanders stands better odds of being a Union Army veteran than a Confederate.

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post

My country was founded by Christians so deal with it.
                            No it wasn't. The founding fathers weren't Christians. They were secular Deists. Hence the creation of the secular constitution.
                            The cross is unconstitutional. An unconstitutional symbol that's been allowed on government property for far too long.

I have an idea, move the cross to private land and you can pay for it.

You people don't even realize that you're saying this symbol would be OK too!

Untitled.jpg

Comment

No it wasn't. The founding fathers weren't Christians. They were secular Deists. Hence the creation of the secular constitution.
                              In any case the main worry was probably different branches of Christianity knocking seven bells out of each other Only seven years before the US constitution was created Britain had suffered massive anti Catholic rioting (the Gordon Riots) and the FF didn't want any of that sort of thing over their side of the water thank you very much.

The main waves of Jewish migration to North America were after independence so that apart from the original peoples Christianity was by far the majority religion - but many different flavours some of which had sharply different attitudes towards different religious symbols and how and where they were displayed
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X