X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Least Someone's Paying Attention

Payback is a bitch:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp

'The United States is stepping up digital incursions into Russia’s electric power grid in a warning to President Vladimir V. Putin and a demonstration of how the Trump administration is using new authorities to deploy cybertools more aggressively, current and former government officials said.'

'In interviews over the past three months, the officials described the previously unreported deployment of American computer code inside Russia’s grid and other targets as a classified companion to more publicly discussed action directed at Moscow’s disinformation and hacking units around the 2018 midterm elections.'

'Advocates of the more aggressive strategy said it was long overdue, after years of public warnings from the Department of Homeland Security and the F.B.I. that Russia has inserted malware that could sabotage American power plants, oil and gas pipelines, or water supplies in any future conflict with the United States.'

'But it also carries significant risk of escalating the daily digital Cold War between Washington and Moscow.'

'The administration declined to describe specific actions it was taking under the new authorities, which were granted separately by the White House and Congress last year to United States Cyber Command, the arm of the Pentagon that runs the military’s offensive and defensive operations in the online world.'

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as the old saying goes. Or, what goes around, comes around.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not sure the NYT should have reported it, I think it would have been better to keep this unreported for security/operational reasons.

I would like to know why they reported it. They have been implying for a while that Putin is Trump's puppet master, this doesn't seem like Putin would approve this activity.
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
      I would like to know why they reported it. They have been implying for a while that Putin is Trump's puppet master, this doesn't seem like Putin would approve this activity.
      Trump is Putin's puppet master. I can list tons of examples.
      Putin and Trump wouldn't approve this activity. Trump had no say in this decision.

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
        Putin and Trump wouldn't approve this activity. Trump had no say in this decision.
        You should read the article before you post. This clearly has Trump's approval.

"I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Where?
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Where?
            The administration declined to describe specific actions it was taking under the new authorities, which were granted separately by the White House and Congress last year to United States Cyber Command, the arm of the Pentagon that runs the military’s offensive and defensive operations in the online world.

But in a public appearance on Tuesday, President Trump’s national security adviser, John R. Bolton, said the United States was now taking a broader view of potential digital targets as part of an effort “to say to Russia, or anybody else that’s engaged in cyberoperations against us, ‘You will pay a price.’”

Power grids have been a low-intensity battleground for years.

Since at least 2012, current and former officials say, the United States has put reconnaissance probes into the control systems of the Russian electric grid.

But now the American strategy has shifted more toward offense, officials say, with the placement of potentially crippling malware inside the Russian system at a depth and with an aggressiveness that had never been tried before. It is intended partly as a warning, and partly to be poised to conduct cyberstrikes if a major conflict broke out between Washington and Moscow.
            https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp

As someone whom claims prior military service experience and is blindly supportive of USA Intel agencies, should be no surprise that as C-in-C this sort of thing would require POTUS authorization and continued oversight and OK from POTUS.

Or are you suggesting this is something done by "rogue parties" in those agencies not following Law and Constitution, your so-called loyal and obedient guv'mint employees?

TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

It shouldn't have been made public. Frankly, I have little doubt this stuff goes on all the time, and by multiple player nations.
              Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
              Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Where?
                That was directed to our forum retread, not you sir.

Bock answered your question, if you want, I can go into the micro-terrain.
                Last edited by Nichols; 17 Jun 19, 00:51.

Comment

Trump is Putin's puppet master. I can list tons of examples.
                  By all means, please list these tons of examples that you have.
                  Last edited by Nichols; 17 Jun 19, 00:50.

Comment

The View! Rachel Madcow and Massena are all the proof this need
                    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

My bad, he totally approves.

Untitled.png

Comment

Ask and you shall receive.

Donald Trump has been condemned as “treasonous” for siding with the Kremlin over his own government agencies after a stunning joint appearance with Vladimir Putin in which he seemingly accepted the Russian leader’s denial of election meddling.
                        The president of the United States has refused to share with even his most senior aides the details of his personal meetings with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
                        military and intelligence officials avoid giving President Trump detailed briefings on measures to counter Russia in cyberspace because they fear he may discuss them with foreign leaders
                        Ever since he held a beauty pageant in Russia, Trump has sought to cultivate a bromance with the head man in Moscow, musing about whether he would become his "new best friend" and periodically cozying up when he should have been laying down the law.
                        Nearly three months after deeming Russia in violation of a chemical weapons law, the Trump administration has yet to impose tough new sanctions on Moscow required by the law and triggered by the poisoning last year of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal.
                        Want more? I don't think you care one bit about this activity.

Comment

No, they don't. To those who support Trump, anything and everything is OK, even if the country is damaged because of it.

Comment

So, now opinion from Leftist and TDS sources counts as accurate information... (Leftist = The Guardian, TDS = the WaPo, and Twitter is nothing but opinion...)

Comment

My bad, he totally approves.

Untitled.png
                              After the fact, I think. Believing anything he tweets, says, or thinks is a mistake.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X