Silicon Valley and the Fountain of Youth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicon Valley and the Fountain of Youth

Silicon valley leaders are searching for ways to extend their lives.

https://futurism.com/live-forever-silicon-valley

It is part a pattern in which we see their exaggerated self importance. The irony is that the entire industry is rooted in the military industrial complex. The computer was a military project as was the internet. Most of the private wealth in silicon valley is more a result of marketing than deep innovation. The real innovations such as the silicon based transistor from which the valley derives it's name is the product of the real genius of little known engineers.

I'm not trying to down play the importance of marketing. Recognizing and promoting technological opportunities is a key component of progress. What I would argue against is the great man theory of history. Civilization is a cooperative endeavor and the development of technology has as much to do with extended swarm intelligence as individual genius.

The key components of a civilization's successes remain managing resources. Access to abundant and secure supplies of water, food, shelter, transportation, defense and trade remain the foundation on which civilization rests. If Facebook and Twitter disappeared tomorrow we might be better not worse off.

The similarity is no longer science fiction but a matter of time. Do we really want a bunch of self absorbed "idea men" in charge?
    We hunt the hunters

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
    Silicon valley leaders are searching for ways to extend their lives.

https://futurism.com/live-forever-silicon-valley

It is part a pattern in which we see their exaggerated self importance. The irony is that the entire industry is rooted in the military industrial complex. The computer was a military project as was the internet. Most of the private wealth in silicon valley is more a result of marketing than deep innovation. The real innovations such as the silicon based transistor from which the valley derives it's name is the product of the real genius of little known engineers.

I'm not trying to down play the importance of marketing. Recognizing and promoting technological opportunities is a key component of progress. What I would argue against is the great man theory of history. Civilization is a cooperative endeavor and the development of technology has as much to do with extended swarm intelligence as individual genius.

The key components of a civilization's successes remain managing resources. Access to abundant and secure supplies of water, food, shelter, transportation, defense and trade remain the foundation on which civilization rests. If Facebook and Twitter disappeared tomorrow we might be better not worse off.

The similarity is no longer science fiction but a matter of time. Do we really want a bunch of self absorbed "idea men" in charge?
    Well, that's what we have and it isn't goig to change.

Marketing is, in deed, the Great Satan of America. Every year now, and often sooner, a new generation of cellphones, Ipads, Ipods and other such electronic toys comes out, and the marketing goes on a stampede to convince us that this is the most important event in our lives since the invention of the zipper. Mostly it's just a re-tweak of the last version.

I have pretty much zero use for the so-called "social" (in reality it's incredibly anti-social)networks like Twitter, Facebook and that stuff, especially since they have started censoring anything that's not flagrantly Democratic.

If it all disappeared tomorrow, I doubt if I would notice for a long time.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X