Freedom gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Hmm.........selective quoting. Why did you quote out of context? From your link and the entire paragraph in full context:
    Hi Sal

It wasn't selective by any means.

My point was to show that the US like the UK, did respond with the rather facile action of 'renaming' a dog breed out of some misplaced patriotism. Your initial post gave the impression that the US didn't change anything, which the plainly did.

The fact that we went further (it seems) by removing the word Alsatian, is but to argue about the difference between a 2 or 3 egg omelette!

Regards

Andy H
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Hang on..... what?

People are taking this seriously?!?

Are you ALL out of your damned minds, or what? I didn't skim the pages until just now, and some of it is pretty disturbing. I guess it must be true; people have lost their sense of humor and are just dying to find something new to be offended about every 5 freaking minutes!

I'd have more to say, but since some of you would get all offended and whine to the mods if any of it could be twisted into something you could take personally, all I have left to say is;

"Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

It's the mirror image of the old old practice of naming something unpleasant (or regarded as so) after one's traditional enemy. Thus venereal disease used in Britain to be called The French Disease and in France The English Disease. At one time in England homosexuality was often referred to as French practices (see for example Smollet's novels) Whether the French returned the 'compliment' I don't know.
        Rubber condoms were known as "Engelse capoten" here until after the second war, from German rather then French I suspect...

Edit, in French too apparently "capote Anglaise"...
        Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

In all fairness, it didn't last that long and was just a reflex action started by a few that caught steam because of a huge wave of patriotism and a sense nationalist that swept the US after 9/11 that lasted until "Bush lied" when our search for WMD's came up short.

Look at it from another angle.

Discounting the time when we were still British subjects, Americans have never fought the French who in reality was our first and longest continuous ally, not Britain. The very symbol of America as known by the ROTW is French. Without French assistance from everything such as their money, arms, gunpowder, men, and ships, we may have lost during our struggle for independence and be condemned to speaking that horrible French-bastardized King's English that the Brits are still cursed with to this day. France not joining in for Operation Desert Freedom was a kick in the stomach for Americans because of our respect and admiration for France and her fighting men. Remember the Bush motto? You are either with us or against us and Americans simply rallied to that call. It had to do more with us being being boisterous Americans trying to act like we don't need France, despite our true need to feel more confident if France was at our side when we confront the the great evil Saddam whom we thought indeed had WMD's and that our early victory against him might or might not have been a fluke, but we had France with us last time................and this time she did not answer the call.

All the French bashing, surrender/white flag jokes were actually more indicative of the respect rather than disrespect for the French military history. If Americans truly thought so lowly of French abilities, then we wouldn't have cared and perhaps even thankful if they didn't arrive on our side on the field of battle. Heck, we would be cheering for France to ally with Saddam.

While we are at it, French Fries is misnamed. It originated in Belgium. French's Mustard, an American brand was probably the most unfairly treated by American shots and restaurants by being pulled off the shelves and tables.

Sal, it's a good thing you started with the disclaimer, "Discounting the time when we were still British subjects, Americans have never fought the French who in reality was our first and longest continuous ally, not Britain."; because by various means, they were also the American's first and longest continuous enemy, certainly longer than Britain ever was.
          "I am Groot"
          - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post

Sal, it's a good thing you started with the disclaimer, "Discounting the time when we were still British subjects, Americans have never fought the French who in reality was our first and longest continuous ally, not Britain."; because by various means, they were also the American's first and longest continuous enemy, certainly longer than Britain ever was.
            Exactly, but history is no longer taught much, and almost never heard properly when it is. It's always easier to remember it the way one needs to.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Discounting the time when we were still British subjects, Americans have never fought the French
              Sorry but Americans did fight the French after independence. Between 1798 and 1800 US and French warships (both regular navy and privateers) preyed on each other's merchant traffic and each other in West Indian waters. This bitter little naval conflict was never formally declared but men still died and ships were still taken and the governments in both countries were well aware of their navy's activities.

The quasi war as it has been called was over money. The USA had borrowed money from France but repudiated debts incurred to the Royalist administration. Although there was no formal declaration of war there was a formal peace treaty
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

. . . . Discounting the time when we were still British subjects, Americans have never fought the French . . . .
                Au contraire, mon ami. US forces engaged Vichy French in North Africa: Operation Torch, 1942. US forces landed at Casablanca, Oran, and Algiers. There was resistance, and the Americans did suffer casualties.

I'm unable to determine a proper timeline, but it seems that the Vichy French forces also operated in Tunisia, as well, against the Allies. It was there that the last of my Quebecois-French cousins -- or rather, the last to bear a French name -- went down in Dec '42. According to the American Air Museum in Britain,

George Monda was Bombardier on board of B-17 Serial 42-5715 on a mission over Tunisia on 18 December 1942. He was killed in the crash-landing of the battle-damaged Fortress.
                Going on memory here, but according to the keeper of our family tree, the name Monda came from the La Rochelle region of France. In the late 15th century, the first Monda emigrated to Quebec. In the early 19th century, seeking new opportunities, one of his descendants sought work along the Erie Canal in Upstate New York. The last Monda -- an only child -- was inducted out of Michigan in '41. When I was but a wee lad, for three decades after my cousin's death, his mother kept his room a shrine, so the story of my French cousins has rather stuck with me through the years.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Sorry but Americans did fight the French after independence. Between 1798 and 1800 US and French warships (both regular navy and privateers) preyed on each other's merchant traffic and each other in West Indian waters. This bitter little naval conflict was never formally declared but men still died and ships were still taken and the governments in both countries were well aware of their navy's activities.

The quasi war as it has been called was over money. The USA had borrowed money from France but repudiated debts incurred to the Royalist administration. Although there was no formal declaration of war there was a formal peace treaty
                  I know about this. I do not consider that a real war. Quite different from a couple of more recent allies that we had previously pounded into rubble, and another one that turned into our major nemesis.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I know about this. I do not consider that a real war. Quite different from a couple of more recent allies that we had previously pounded into rubble, and another one that turned into our major nemesis.
                    Probably makes a difference when you're part of it. The Korean War wasn't a "war" either; it was a peacekeeping mission under the UN. (riotous laughter in background) But ask the Marines at Chosin if it was a war or not...

Oh, and we gave out 0ver 8,000 awards for the non-war in Grenada. Hard to give someone a Purple Heart or any sort of combat award when they weren't in a "rel war".
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Tommyrot - what you said was Discounting the time when we were still British subjects, Americans have never fought the French
                      Whether war was declared or not for two years sailors from the USN were fighting sailors from the French navy
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Tommyrot - what you said was Discounting the time when we were still British subjects, Americans have never fought the French
                        Whether war was declared or not for two years sailors from the USN were fighting sailors from the French navy
                        And how can we forget the Bronx Bull versus a pair of Frenchmen? Marcel Cerdan

and Laurent Dauthuille.

Sal, your memory ain't what it used to be....
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X