Chobani Steps Up to Stop Lunch Shaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chobani Steps Up to Stop Lunch Shaming

What a tragedy that lunch shaming happens in the greatest nation on Earth.
    After a school district said it'll serve jelly sandwiches to students with lunch debt, Chobani stepped in

(CNN)The schools in Warwick, Rhode Island, can put those sun butter and jelly sandwiches away: Someone is stepping up to pay the massive lunch debt of some of its students.

That "someone" is yogurt company Chobani, which is paying off $47,650 of the $77,000 debt.
    The donation from Chobani will be used to pay the debts of low-income students, Courtney Marciano, spokeswoman for the city of Warwick, told CNN.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/10/us/rh...-chobani-trnd/

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

No such thing as free lunches, except in the snowflake era.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
      No such thing as free lunches, except in the snowflake era.
      Who the hell is talking about free lunch? Obviously this is not about free lunch if money is owned. It looks like Chobani paid off the meal debts of the students that were identified as from low income families. The rest are probably from families that have deadbeat parents that are just lousy at money and bill management.

Kids shouldn't be the pawns in this case. You realize that the lunch is served as the kids move along in a line. They are given the hot meal before they reach checkout. Upon realizing that the lunch account for the particular student is delinquent, the hot lunch is taken away from them..........in front of EVERYONE. And it is stupid because it is wasteful. Whatever crosses the counter cannot be returned to service, what was on that tray has to be dumped into the trash, including anything that is sealed.

Cafeteria workers have been fired for paying for the meals of kids that had their accounts flagged. Others have quit because it broke their heart each time they saw a kid cry when his/her meal was taken away - only to be dumped in the name of account collections.

There are plenty of rich people that panders to politics saying that the rich are not paying enough, but do not step up and use their wealth to solve local issues/shortfall like this owner of Chobani.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

No such thing as a free lunch is an old adage, that's fitting here for obvious reasons. It was a good deed on the part of Chobani, but back when I went to school you knew which kids were from low income families based on their lunch card or not paying. Sometimes these kids were made fun of. But, these type of things were never newsworthy until now.

I also don't think the rich should be pressured into solving issues with their money if that's what you're suggesting.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Just out of curiosity what happens when the parents continue to ignore their bill? How long till the kids are right back in the same situation? Why can't the kids tell the lunch lady they need the jelly sandwich before they put a regular meal on their plate? A better solution would be to hold the parents accountable for child negligence.
          - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
            No such thing as a free lunch is an old adage, that's fitting here for obvious reasons. It was a good deed on the part of Chobani, but back when I went to school you knew which kids were from low income families based on their lunch card or not paying. Sometimes these kids were made fun of. But, these type of things were never newsworthy until now.

I also don't think the rich should be pressured into solving issues with their money if that's what you're suggesting.
            Why the hell not? If they bitch about the rich not paying enough even though they themselves the rich bastard take all the advantages of all the tax codes by hiring people to minimize their taxes. Have you heard a rich man bitch that his accountant prohibits him for paying his real full share of the taxes?

I'm not saying the rich has to do anything. I just made a suggestion that they can make a HUGE difference in local communities instead of just talking the talk of sharing the wealth, but not actually willing to make a demonstrative walk such as Chobani.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

The problem is the suggestion you made would not benefit society. Like I said above, what happens when the parents continue to skip their bills? If you really care about the kids then you need to get to the heart of the issue. Rich people bailing others out when they act irresponsibly doesn't help anyone.

Currently, wealthy people aren't asked to pay their fair share. They are asked to pay far more than what is fair. They're penalized for being successful. So I absolutely do not blame them for using loopholes. Our taxes, still even under Trump, are too high.
              - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Boy some people can b!+c# about anything.

Good for Chobani stepping up in an act of kindness.
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Before everyone gets all starry-eyed and righteous, how many of those children belong to illegals?

My mother packed a lunch for me. We couldn't afford the cost of the high school meal card, but there was no shame in it. A number of other kids were in the same boat, and frankly, having seen what was served for lunch, we felt we had the better deal.

The problem here is entirely with the families, not the children and not the school. State schools are not your mother and father, nor is that even a fair responsibility. Feeding your children is your responsibility, period.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

That is a good point MM. A sandwich and a bag of carrots aren't exactly massive investments and failure of character could be a factor in many instances. At the same time I also feel that it's not the kid's fault if he does have a lazy parent.

It's a tough balancing act. Leniency will inspire exploitation and future laziness but denying the meal punishes the student rather than the parent.

The one nice thing about free will donation is that it isn't an entitlement. You are owed nothing, you receive a kindness out of grace and unlike a federal money spigot that faucet can get turned off quick if you are found to be unworthy. There is less temptation to make it a crutch because it doesn't come with guarantees.

​​​​
                    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

'Lunch-shaming'. What a world it is.

Now those kids have learned that there are no negative consequences, that someone else will step in and fix things if they cry long enough.

That will certainly have an impact on their life....
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        'Lunch-shaming'. What a world it is.

Now those kids have learned that there are no negative consequences, that someone else will step in and fix things if they cry long enough.

That will certainly have an impact on their life....
                        I have, as have other teachers I worked with, paid for lunches for students who have forgotten their lunch money or have run up a credit bill in the cafeteria. Students need to eat a good lunch every day. Going hungry teaches next to nothing except being hungry.
                        We are not now that strength which in old days
                        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

What class of an ******* does a parent have to be to send their kids to school with no lunch and no means to buy one?
                          I live in one of the most expensive cities ion the world and I can comfortably feed my and my 3 kids that still live at home for under €80 a week. We never eat pre-prepared meals or take out. Everything is cooked from scratch. All of my kids can cook so if they are stuck they can make their own lunch. I'm sick of people talking about food poverty, I usually hear it from people who don't work and are 50 pounds overweight. Get up off your fat ass and do your job as a parent.
                          "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                          validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                          "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

I have, as have other teachers I worked with, paid for lunches for students who have forgotten their lunch money or have run up a credit bill in the cafeteria. Students need to eat a good lunch every day. Going hungry teaches next to nothing except being hungry.
                            It teaches the parents that they need to be parents.
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                              What class of an ******* does a parent have to be to send their kids to school with no lunch and no means to buy one?
                              I live in one of the most expensive cities ion the world and I can comfortably feed my and my 3 kids that still live at home for under €80 a week. We never eat pre-prepared meals or take out. Everything is cooked from scratch. All of my kids can cook so if they are stuck they can make their own lunch. I'm sick of people talking about food poverty, I usually hear it from people who don't work and are 50 pounds overweight. Get up off your fat ass and do your job as a parent.
                              I taught in one of the poorer counties in North Carolina. And some of the students did not have to pay for lunch because of their parents' income. Usually, the students that I and my colleagues would pay for was because they had not settled their lunch bill or they had forgotten to bring lunch money.

The bottom line is that you take care of your students, just like parents should take care of their children. It doesn't always work out that way in the latter case. You can pontificate as much as you like on the situation based on what you do, but that doesn't mean that it is always that way at school.
                              We are not now that strength which in old days
                              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X