National Weather Service Storm Tracking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Weather Service Storm Tracking

Last night Missouri had some extremely severe weather. The NWS made sure you knew about it. Over and over. They were so overzealous that in many ways they were getting underfoot. We did have severe weather and we did need alert updates but last night was such a cacaphony that it was actually counterproductive.

For the past week they were breaking into cable and network programming for every thunderstorm they could find. On top of that the NWS has offices in St. Louis, Springfield, and Kansas City and each of them were calling for alerts so that you had a never-ending stream of alerts going sometimes for the same system.

The nonstop alerting was creating a boy who cried wolf effect and driving me and a few other local friends up the wall. As the umpteenth sounding of the screaming duck call was literally giving me a headache I switched off the TV - just shy of really severe weather that was actually rolling in. Fortunately my phone buzzed, but even then it was for a thunderstorm advisory. I switched the TV back on and just got wind of a wall cloud heading right for us.

Took the dog and forted up with a family friend. We tried to monitor the storm but by this stage the NWS was actually interfering with weather information. Breaking into programming every two minutes or so meant that the weather center forecasters giving us real time data on the location of a nearby funnel cloud were having difficulty getting the info out to their viewers. Boone county residents who actually really needed to know where the storm was in relation to them were getting interference because other counties even outside of the KOMU viewing area were getting alerts sent in triplicate through our network systems.

I remain a big fan of Johnny on the Spot weather alerting but these past few days have been a real CF. And I wonder if the NWS needs to exercise a little fire discipline. We do need to know about tornadoes and flash floods but when the sirens are overused and when relentless region wide network break ins are actually hindering the ability of local storm trackers to inform their respective communities I wonder if we need to tug on the reigns a little.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

We have the same problem here in Colorado.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I use the internet and my own radar analysis. No sound, just the necessary information.
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Thanks to the NWS, you're alive to post this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by III Corps View Post
          Thanks to the NWS, you're alive to post this thread.
          Actually the local storm trackers did more for my safety than the NWS. The knowledge I needed to know what danger I was in came from KOMU telling me there was a wall cloud steaming into Boone and twisters on the ground near Hallsville.

The NWS gave me a severe thunderstorm text and a weather alerts for counties I wasn't anywhere near.

That's what you get when you oversaturate the alert system. By all means let people know when there are tornadoes in the area. But then you need to STFU and let the storm trackers who have wheels and eyes where the action is do THEIR job of providing the specifics.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X