Police robots on traffic stops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Robo shoots Black driverless Uber and another riot starts.
    Why would the robot be painted white?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Years ago the City of Sulphur allowed a company to set up an automatic speed trap at certain locations. The locations targeted were school zones. Violations were processed by taking a picture of the offender's license and they were sent a summons to traffic court. The problem was only the locals were held accountable. The out of towners could not have the Sulphur PD drop by and take them to court for ignoring the summons in the mail. The locals were not able to get the tickets "fixed" as the company was paid a percentage of the fine levied. Many of the locals were ticketed in the last five or ten minutes the zone was active. Finally enough people complained and the radars were sent packing!

Think what problems a Robot would have!

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        Years ago the City of Sulphur allowed a company to set up an automatic speed trap at certain locations. The locations targeted were school zones. Violations were processed by taking a picture of the offender's license and they were sent a summons to traffic court. The problem was only the locals were held accountable. The out of towners could not have the Sulphur PD drop by and take them to court for ignoring the summons in the mail. The locals were not able to get the tickets "fixed" as the company was paid a percentage of the fine levied. Many of the locals were ticketed in the last five or ten minutes the zone was active. Finally enough people complained and the radars were sent packing!

Think what problems a Robot would have!

Pruitt
        Auto-photos have been working extremely well in Europe for decades. No reason why they can;t work well here except for corruption and politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Why would the robot be painted white?
          That is actually a very often asked question. I did so work for a company that built robots, asked that very question and was given a pre-printed paper answer. Engineers prefer naked robots in the lab, but in the real world, they need to covered to protect the parts from dust, liquids, whatever, and they don't like clear because one can see and figure out the vitals.

So clear is out unless it is or demonstration. Plastic and paint comes cheapest in white, and white make a robot look clean, modern, and good. It is also practical because it is the best color to spot dirt, oil, etc.

I know a couple of SJW's here are not going to like this answer.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Auto-photos have been working extremely well in Europe for decades. No reason why they can;t work well here except for corruption and politics.
            We had a situation near here in CA that is very similar to what Pruitt described.

A particular intersection was supposedly dangerous, and cameras were installed to supposedly deter red light runners. This is an intersection that rarely has a pedestrian crossing, it is just a major vehicle crossroad. I actually got caught making a right turn of red from a dedicated right turn lane, why there is even a no right turn on red is against all reasoning as all intersection crossing and left turn lights are regulated, and there are so many lanes that for a left turn to come into contact with a right turn it would involved both drivers incapable of understanding the turning lanes.

By law, I was allowed to see the video from all the cameras. There I was at a complete stop first up to the crosswalk waiting for the light, It was one of those most moments where the traffic computer had stop ALL traffic and everyone was basically staring each other for 30 seconds. I had anticipated my right turn green arrow and crept up and nudged into the pedestrian crosswalk marker a freaking second before my green as shown by the rolling digital clock. I had to ask them to freeze it and it was LESS THAN ONE second, and they wanted a minimum of $595 fine plus the hit to license and most likely my auto insurance for 7 years. The officer that showed me the video advised me fight it because no sane LEO would have given me citation. It's the damn surveillance company in AZ that gets paid by the commission on every ticket and they prey on people who either do not have the time, confidence, or awareness of their rights to just automatically pay the fine, this kind officer told me.

I showed up to traffic court, and as every milled about before the bailiff opened the courtroom doors, there was a lot of conversation about what each other was busted for. And EVERY single person I talked to got exactly the same citation as I, right turn on red.

It later turned out that the cameras mad absolutely no difference to accident statistics at this intersection, the city actually lost money due the cost of court proceedings, and the only party that came out ahead was that out of state camera surveillance company. They were sent packing and the courthouse was closed because all the cases stemmed from the cameras from just this one intersection, and now everything goes through county resulting savings for the city and the abuses citizens,
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

We had a situation near here in CA that is very similar to what Pruitt described.

A particular intersection was supposedly dangerous, and cameras were installed to supposedly deter red light runners. This is an intersection that rarely has a pedestrian crossing, it is just a major vehicle crossroad. I actually got caught making a right turn of red from a dedicated right turn lane, why there is even a no right turn on red is against all reasoning as all intersection crossing and left turn lights are regulated, and there are so many lanes that for a left turn to come into contact with a right turn it would involved both drivers incapable of understanding the turning lanes.

By law, I was allowed to see the video from all the cameras. There I was at a complete stop first up to the crosswalk waiting for the light, It was one of those most moments where the traffic computer had stop ALL traffic and everyone was basically staring each other for 30 seconds. I had anticipated my right turn green arrow and crept up and nudged into the pedestrian crosswalk marker a freaking second before my green as shown by the rolling digital clock. I had to ask them to freeze it and it was LESS THAN ONE second, and they wanted a minimum of $595 fine plus the hit to license and most likely my auto insurance for 7 years. The officer that showed me the video advised me fight it because no sane LEO would have given me citation. It's the damn surveillance company in AZ that gets paid by the commission on every ticket and they prey on people who either do not have the time, confidence, or awareness of their rights to just automatically pay the fine, this kind officer told me.

I showed up to traffic court, and as every milled about before the bailiff opened the courtroom doors, there was a lot of conversation about what each other was busted for. And EVERY single person I talked to got exactly the same citation as I, right turn on red.

It later turned out that the cameras mad absolutely no difference to accident statistics at this intersection, the city actually lost money due the cost of court proceedings, and the only party that came out ahead was that out of state camera surveillance company. They were sent packing and the courthouse was closed because all the cases stemmed from the cameras from just this one intersection, and now everything goes through county resulting savings for the city and the abuses citizens,
              IOW, we should ask the Germans to install the system they use.

Comment

You Lunatic! You're lucky you weren't thrown in the hoosegow and put on bread and water for a month!

Actually, right turn on a red in safety, after stopping for the light is legal up here.
                "I am Groot"
                - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                  Everyone will be replaced by a machine.
                  Well then, thank goodness for Asteroids and Super-Volcanos, eh?

Biological life has demonstrated that it is tough & resourceful enough to survive that sort of catastrophe.
                  The Grid? Heh, not a chance.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X