Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any Fox news anchors Wished folks a happy Ramadan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
    You could say that, but the period during the 9th month is one of the 5 pillars of Islam. IOW, it's an important time for muslims every year.
    No argument but it's still a fast and not a holiday. Lent used to be a serious fast in the Christian calendar and equally important and not a holiday. Fasts are not intended to be fun and wishing someone a happy one would be somewhat crass. People do wish a happy eid but that's not until June.
    Last edited by MarkV; 15 May 19, 08:50.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

Prayers provided

and I put a prayer in for our friend trung si Iíll say that to trung even though he probably already visited the Mosque for his Ramadan morning prayers right . Salamulakim Trung si May peace be upon you .

Salam Ijadw
      I used to live across the street from the mosque on 3rd Ave and 96th St (only problem was a lack of parking for 20 min every Fri afternoon) and as I recall, Ramadan prayers are in the late afternoon....
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

No argument but it's still a fast and not a holiday. Lent used to be a serious fast in the Christian calendar and equally important and not a holiday
        The Orthodox Lenten fast is a 46 day long celebration of diarrhea......

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

For a poor Medieval peasant the Lent fast would not be such. Not allowed to eat meat for 40 days, no fresh vegetables available and fish beyond his reach he would be limited to bread and possibly some very hard cheese. The effect would be quite the opposite one would think.
          If he was fortunate to live in an area where beaver existed he could eat them as the Church had declared that these were fish, however as the local monastery would have also declared that beavers were their property he'd be taking a big risk.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

For a poor Medieval peasant the Lent fast would not be such. Not allowed to eat meat for 40 days, no fresh vegetables available and fish beyond his reach he would be limited to bread and possibly some very hard cheese. The effect would be quite the opposite one would think.
            If he was fortunate to live in an area where beaver existed he could eat them as the Church had declared that these were fish, however as the local monastery would have also declared that beavers were their property he'd be taking a big risk.
            Orthodox Lenten fast prohibits fish and seafood, as well as dairy and eggs. At least the Greeks have olives. All Russians got was grain . . . . grain . . . . grain, usually of the rough and abrasive variety.... It's like a freight train pulling a wire brush for a month and a half. All I can say is that bananas and rice can be a man's best freind. Of course, I have a yen for cayenne pepper sauce that's ill-advised during the Great Lent.

Comment

In other words,
              A missionary journey east of
              the Bug Riverby Saiint Finacre
              would have been wildly successful......
              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

And so what? People travel to Iran, and to Israel. Again with you getting personal, but at the least when you try and dig up dirt at least dont fail. You got nothing on me what so ever buddy, keep trying You got anything else.

Your very easy to respond to friend.
                People travel to Iran : SJ means : stupid ones travel to Iran .

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post

You may wish to consider posting in the sillyKitties forum, as your current level of thought has returned to puerile irritation....

for a while , lad, I had hope for you....

Comment

the ,Uhhh, Abbott desired forty days of feasting on beaver to himself...

A general estimate of the caloric intake for males during the Middle Ages is an average of 3,000 calories.

The estimate of the average intake of calories for Medieval women is 2,200 calories. However, this is only an average estimate of the population. There are also more specific numbers for those with more demanding jobs or the rich.

-Average calorie intake

Physically demanding jobs (ex. sailor): 3,500 calories or more per day

Aristocrats: 4,000-5,000 calories a day

Monks: 6,000 calories per day on ďnormalĒ days
                    4,500 calories per day when fasting

Because of the high consumption of food intake by the higher classes, obesity was a problem. Monks were especially known to be obese and suffer from obesity-related health problems such as arthritis.

http://www.thefinertimes.com/Middle-...ddle-ages.html

Comment

Does anybody know what time the Ramadan fast break ends today that is if you are on the East Coast of the United States?
                      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post

For what itís worth the United States government does not recommend travel to Iran but it is legal for an American to travel to Iran

In a 1984 types society I think your viewpoint has its place. But think about it Iran has a ton of history to offer it would be an incredible place to visit. Iranian people mightíve been the first humans ever it was them or the Indians

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

You may wish to consider posting in the sillyKitties forum, as your current level of thought has returned to puerile irritation....

for a while , lad, I had hope for you....
                          You mean that intelligent non Muslims are travelling to Iran ?
                          Visiting Iran is as visiting North Korea: only stupid ones do it .You know when you arrive, but you nev er know if/when you will leave .

Comment

I used to live across the street from the mosque on 3rd Ave and 96th St (only problem was a lack of parking for 20 min every Fri afternoon) and as I recall, Ramadan prayers are in the late afternoon....
                            Iíve been to the Big Apple about seven or eight times parking is always an issue . I feel for the folks with cars that have to pay hundreds of dollars a month to park their car somewhere in manhattan

The one Mosque that is perhaps 10 miles away from me Itís totally jampacked every Friday thereís pretty much no where to park

How often could you hear the Adhan From your old place? Did you ever visit that mosque You used to live by? I have visited a few Mosques By my area . But I have never visited a Shiite Mosque .

I donít know about you but the Muslims I have talk to are diverse in their views some are conservatives and some are liberals. I only ever had one sort of heated argument with a guy who is very anti Catholic but thatís just a part of American society we have people with all sorts of views.

George S Patton

Comment

Iranian people mightíve been the first humans ever it was them or the Indians
                              Which is totally irrelevant .
                              Intelligent people do not visit a country ruled by a regime that was using children in human wave attacks in the war against Iraq .

Comment

The mosque in question catered to a lot of Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, many of whom were cab drivers. Consequently both sides of 96th St from 2nd to 3rd Aves were completely yellow.

i don't think they issued a traditional adha. Probably would have pissed off the neighbor, but the prayers within the mosque were audible from my apartment. They had a soothing quality as recall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X