The American abortion rate is at an all-time low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The American abortion rate is at an all-time low

Great news that is bound to trigger lefties. Less children are being murdered. The whole thing is there is no reason to get an abortion. While people make mistakes it is easily preventable. It drives me bonkers when I see posts on Facebook by UC Berkely grads talking about how they get an abortion when they were unsure of who the father was. Somehow that gets them 20,000 like minded followers. Guess they never took a sex ed class like I did about wearing protection. Why kill a life that if they were put up for adoption could bring joy to another family? All I have to say on this topic.

Disclaimer: I guess from the sound of this data it is done on a yearly basis.

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/3/181195...ntrol-iud-pill
    Last edited by Ace of Spies; 03 May 19, 19:33.

From the article:

Access to birth control increased under the Obama administration, but the Trump White House is writing new regulations that could limit availability.
    We're all entitled to our own opinions though, live life however you want. It shouldn't matter to you what some random strangers are posting about on Facebook.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

It comes down to existential angst and how it effects a populations psychology. The question is if the threat of nuclear holocaust, the trauma of two world wars and the great depression switched Western Civilization from a predominant k strategy psychological orientation to an r strategy orientation. The relaxation of Darwinian selection during the industrial revolution in the mid 19th century assured that there would be plenty of spiteful mutants to exploit any weakness that such a shift in psychology may have produced. Spiteful mutants account for the character of the "revolution" but not it's depth and breath. When the 60s atmosphere of live fast and die young burnt itself out in the ashes of youth it became a culture of unrestricted materialism which are not as some people suggest different animals but different expression of the same nihilism. Something must have augmented the shift to nihilism beyond the demographics that favored youthful abandon.

A failure to reproduce is symptomatic of a disruption of normal adaptive behavior. The mouse utopia experiments offer some insight into how disruption of normal communication networks can cause reproductive failure.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-rats-tur...yin-1687584457

Humans are sufficiently disconnected from their instincts to overcome such biological disasters if the culture is functional. It is when the culture and the psycho-biology converge on maladaptive behavior that civilizations tend to collapse.

Considering that the desire to reproduce would be expected to be "normal" the availability of the pill and abortion can not alone explain the change in fitness. Since the malady seems to afflict the upper classes more then those classes must be considered as a source of the infection with undesirable memes. The genetic dilution caused by relaxed selection appears as more a symptom than a cause of decline.
      Last edited by wolfhnd; 03 May 19, 01:13.
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
        It comes down to existential angst and how it effects a populations psychology. The question is if the threat of nuclear holocaust, the trauma of two world wars and the great depression switched Western Civilization from a predominant k strategy psychological orientation to an r strategy orientation. The relaxation of Darwinian selection during the industrial revolution in the mid 19th century assured that there would be plenty of spiteful mutants to exploit any weakness that such a shift in psychology may have produced. Spiteful mutants account for the character of the "revolution" but not it's depth and breath. When the 60s atmosphere of live fast and die young burnt itself out in the ashes of youth it became a culture of unrestricted materialism which are not as some people suggest different animals but different expression of the same nihilism. Something must have augmented the shift to nihilism beyond the demographics that favored youthful abandon.

A failure to reproduce is symptomatic of a disruption of normal adaptive behavior. The mouse utopia experiments offer some insight into how disruption of normal communication networks can cause reproductive failure.

Humans are sufficiently disconnected from their instincts to overcome such biological disasters if the culture is functional. It is when the culture and the psycho-biology converge on maladaptive behavior that civilizations tend to collapse.

Considering that the desire to reproduce would be expected to be "normal" the availability of the pill and abortion can not alone explain the change in fitness. Since the malady seems to afflict the upper classes more then those classes must be considered as a source of the infection with undesirable memes. The genetic dilution caused by relaxed selection appears as more a symptom than a cause of decline.
        Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
          From the article:

We're all entitled to our own opinions though, live life however you want. It shouldn't matter to you what some random strangers are posting about on Facebook.
          I believe that those specific regulations are on the basis of not forcing religious entities to act outside of their religious beliefs/practices. Rather than restricting the free market access to any product.

As for a reduction in abortions, good. The On-Demand bit of Abortion I always found to be morally and ethically reprehensible, and with the advent of multiple birth control methods with extremely high success rates, an unnecessary elective procedure for the obscenely irresponsible. If you consider for a moment how difficult it is for a human to actually conceive in the first place, how small the window of time is and how high the failure rate is, you'd quickly see the level of sheer irresponsibility or culpable negligence involved in 'accidentally' conceiving.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Darwinian evolution hasn't been the primary driver in human development for at least a thousand years. Since we stopped being hunter gatherers and cities developed disease has been the primary selector of who lives or dies. Being smarter or faster is bugger all use if smallpox sweeps through your town or the Mongols rock up outside your city walls. It's also the reason that the racist idea that white Europeans are smarter of more evolved that what they consider more primitive cultures.

Anyway, back on topic, while I am pro-choice I think that every abortion is a tragedy and those who see it as some sort of a liberal victory or feminist issue are mutton-headed morons who wouldn't know personal integrity if it bit them in the ass.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
            validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
              Being smarter or faster is bugger all use if smallpox sweeps through your town
              I don't know about that. Jews fared somewhat better during the Black Plague 'cause their ritual cleansing practices rid them of at least some pathogens -- as compared to their Goyim neighbors, who never washed at all. Likewise, Roman, Mongol, and Ottoman armies were so successful on campaign 'cause their camp hygiene far-and-away surpassed most of their foes'. Britannia did not come to truly rule the waves until Brunel cleaned the sh*t out of London first. Clearly being smarter is the best defense against nasty little microbes. Don't believe me? Check out what being stupid gets you.

Blima Marcus is an oncology nurse and a member of the ultra-Orthodox community in Borough Park, Brooklyn, where the incidence of measles has risen sharply since last fall, as it has in similar enclaves in the New York area: Williamsburg, Brooklyn; Rockland County in upstate New York; and Ocean County in New Jersey. Health officials have confirmed more than two hundred cases associated with the epidemic; the New York State Department of Health has called it the worst outbreak of measles in the state since the late nineteen-eighties.

When the outbreak began, Marcus’s cousin, who lives in Lakewood, New Jersey, told her that a large percentage of her neighbors were not vaccinating their children. “She asked me to join a text-based chat group to address some facts that were flying around that were just wrong,” Marcus said. False claims, such as the idea that vaccines cause autism, had become entrenched in the ultra-Orthodox community. A pamphlet from a Jewish organization called PEACH (Parents Educating and Advocating for Children’s Health), which is skeptical of vaccines, has been circulating widely; a hotline for the ultra-Orthodox community, called Akeres Habayis (“woman of the home”), also fans fears of immunization. Marcus started spending several hours a day researching scientific studies and answering questions by text. “I was so uncomfortable leaving information out there, with forty women reading it, without actively refuting it,” she says. . . . .

"Amid a Measles Outbreak, an Ultra-Orthodox Nurse Fights Vaccination Fears in Her Community," by Amanda Schaffer, The New Yorker, 25 Jan 2019
              - emphasis mine
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

I don't know about that. Jews fared somewhat better during the Black Plague 'cause their ritual cleansing practices rid them of at least some pathogens -- as compared to their Goyim neighbors, who never washed at all. Likewise, Roman, Mongol, and Ottoman armies were so successful on campaign 'cause their camp hygiene far-and-away surpassed most of their foes'. Britannia did not come to truly rule the waves until Brunel cleaned the sh*t out of London first. Clearly being smarter is the best defense against nasty little microbes. Don't believe me? Check out what being stupid gets you.

- emphasis mine
                A thing called "common sense" which is sorely lacking in our "liberal" friends.
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

A thing called "common sense" which is sorely lacking in our "liberal" friends.
                  Back in the day, the health benefits of washing would have been "uncommon sense." In the current era, however, such is hardly the case. I can see no excuse for refusing MMR. None whatsoever.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Except that the entire situation is skewed towards those less economically fortunate. The poor feel the need to reproduce maximally, while the better off plan and limit their breeding. It has always been that way. Nothing "existential" about it.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

Darwinian evolution hasn't been the primary driver in human development for at least a thousand years. Since we stopped being hunter gatherers and cities developed disease has been the primary selector of who lives or dies. Being smarter or faster is bugger all use if smallpox sweeps through your town or the Mongols rock up outside your city walls. It's also the reason that the racist idea that white Europeans are smarter of more evolved that what they consider more primitive cultures.

Anyway, back on topic, while I am pro-choice I think that every abortion is a tragedy and those who see it as some sort of a liberal victory or feminist issue are mutton-headed morons who wouldn't know personal integrity if it bit them in the ass.
                      Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

- emphasis mine
                        In most cases. Polio on the other hand saw a marked rise with better sanitation and people washing hands and bathing more. This made it possible to catch the disease later in childhood and the effects were more lasting and severe. So... But, that's an exception, not the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

I believe that those specific regulations are on the basis of not forcing religious entities to act outside of their religious beliefs/practices. Rather than restricting the free market access to any product.

As for a reduction in abortions, good. The On-Demand bit of Abortion I always found to be morally and ethically reprehensible, and with the advent of multiple birth control methods with extremely high success rates, an unnecessary elective procedure for the obscenely irresponsible. If you consider for a moment how difficult it is for a human to actually conceive in the first place, how small the window of time is and how high the failure rate is, you'd quickly see the level of sheer irresponsibility or culpable negligence involved in 'accidentally' conceiving.
                          That's not it, religious entities are already exempt:

One day after the midterm elections, the Trump administration released final rules allowing employers to opt out of providing health insurance that covers birth control.

The administration has been chipping away at the contraceptive mandate in the Affordable Care Act, which requires most employers to offer insurance that covers birth control, for more than a year. Under President Barack Obama, religious employers could already seek an exemption to the mandate.
                          https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...h-control-2018

In general, asking the irresponsible to act responsibly is an oxymoron. There are a lot of irresponsible people out there who absolutely should not be parents. As such, look at abortion as a form of eugenics that benefits the rest of society. One less school shooter or person to rob you.

Long-term, once the world is over-populated a lot of people will start changing their views on abortion.
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

That's not it, religious entities are already exempt:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...h-control-2018

Long-term, once the world is over-populated a lot of people will start changing their views on abortion.
                            No...they will change their views on conception.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No...they will change their views on conception.
                              No. Because again, you still have to account for irresponsible people acting irresponsibly. The notion that 100% of our population will make mature and necessary decisions is laughably unrealistic.
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X