Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Attorney General of the United States

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Attorney General of the United States

    The attorney general is not the lawyer for the president.

    The Judiciary Act of 1789 created the Office of the Attorney General which evolved over the years into the head of the Department of Justice and chief law enforcement officer of the Federal Government. The Attorney General represents the United States in legal matters generally and gives advice and opinions to the President and to the heads of the executive departments of the Government when so requested. In matters of exceptional gravity or importance the Attorney General appears in person before the Supreme Court. Since the 1870 Act that established the Department of Justice as an executive department of the government of the United States, the Attorney General has guided the world's largest law office and the central agency for enforcement of federal laws.

    https://www.justice.gov/ag/about-office

    The attorney general takes his oath of office to the US Constitution, not to the president.

  • #2
    Where do you get that from anything you posted above? The Attorney General is appointed by the President to "give advice and opinion to the President..."

    Comment


    • #3
      It's called a obsession. ob·sess

      /əbˈses/

      verb
      past tense: obsessed; past participle: obsessed
      • preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent.



      Credo quia absurdum.


      Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

      Comment


      • #4

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          Where do you get that from anything you posted above? The Attorney General is appointed by the President to "give advice and opinion to the President..."
          But he is not the president's lawyer and his job is not to either defend him or carry his water. Barr is doing the latter two 'assignments' and is not acting as the US attorney general.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Massena View Post

            But he is not the president's lawyer and his job is not to either defend him or carry his water. Barr is doing the latter two 'assignments' and is not acting as the US attorney general.
            You are wrong. The Attorney General is the head lawyer for the executive branch of government. He represents the government as its attorney in matters of state and acts as advisor on legal matters to the President, head of state. So, one of his jobs is to defend the executive branch, and by extension the head of that, the President.

            Because of that Special Prosecutors are established as needed, to independently review and advise on matters concerning the executive branch when it is felt that is needed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

              You are wrong. The Attorney General is the head lawyer for the executive branch of government. He represents the government as its attorney in matters of state and acts as advisor on legal matters to the President, head of state. So, one of his jobs is to defend the executive branch, and by extension the head of that, the President.

              Because of that Special Prosecutors are established as needed, to independently review and advise on matters concerning the executive branch when it is felt that is needed.
              No, he is not the president's lawyer. He is the lawyer for the United States. His job is not to defend the president. Look at the link for the website.

              You are wrong and before you post something such as you have, you might want to do some research. A little might help.

              To quote from the excerpt posted above, he is the chief law enforcement officer of the federal government. If you can, find anywhere credible where it states that the attorney general is the president's lawyer.

              Comment


              • #8
                This is the mission statement for the attorney general:

                To enforce the law and defend the interests of the United States according to the law; to ensure public safety against threats foreign and domestic; to provide federal leadership in preventing and controlling crime; to seek just punishment for those guilty of unlawful behavior; and to ensure fair and impartial administration of justice for all Americans.

                There is no mention here of the attorney general defending the president or being the president's lawyer.

                Have you ever taken a civics or government class?

                Comment


                • #9
                  So, what law has been broken that he isn't enforcing?
                  Matthew 25:14-30. Jesus tells that it is not sufficient merely to maintain things as they are. Those who await should make good use of the gifts that God has provided them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Even Fox News was scathing yesterday on what he said. They said that he's supposed to be the chief law enforcement officer for the citizens of the United States and not the lackey of the president.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                      Even Fox News was scathing yesterday on what he said. They said that he's supposed to be the chief law enforcement officer for the citizens of the United States and not the lackey of the president.
                      Can we get a link on that?

                      Because that's not how I heard it. But perhaps you watched a different segment....
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

                        Can we get a link on that?

                        Because that's not how I heard it. But perhaps you watched a different segment....
                        Don't have a link. It was on Shepard Smith's program when he was quoting some of the report and interviewing a former Federal prosecutor.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by OJsDad View Post
                          So, what law has been broken that he isn't enforcing?
                          This.

                          Again.

                          What law has been broken that he is not enforcing. And in what manner is he behaving as the President's private attorney. The report of the special counsel was clear that they did not establish probable cause for a criminal offense in the case of the President. They did establish same in other cases and pursued such offenses. I have serious issue with the contents of the Mueller Report as it relates to their 'we didn't, however, exonerate the President" language. That language is extra-legal, outside the scope of a law enforcement capacity, and blatantly political in nature. Any investigator knows that you're not investigating to exonerate, you're investigating to find Probable Cause and then Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. When you hit a wall where you don't have one of those, your investigation concludes with a 'nothing further'. Your investigation does not 'exonerate' anyone except as a matter of happy accident, it simply shows that you have reached a required level of evidentiary proof.....or you have not. And if, having not reached that evidentiary proof standard, your investigation is concluded, then the subject of the investigation is de facto considered to be innocent in the eyes of the law.
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

                            This.

                            Again.

                            What law has been broken that he is not enforcing. .
                            Lying to Congress perhaps? We have a very similar offence that our AG has to tiptoe around
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MarkV View Post

                              Lying to Congress perhaps? We have a very similar offence that our AG has to tiptoe around
                              Who, precisely, lied to Congress?
                              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X