Scam allert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam allert.

Some guy came up to my house and said he had some leftover paving tar and would resurface my driveway. A little research yielded this result. https://www.kion546.com/news/santa-c...diego/66236534

I called the Sheriff and he said its a scam and is on his way...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Friend of mine just the other day received a phone call by a person reputably his nephew, and his attorney claiming he could not contact his parents and if "Uncle Matt" could wire him bail money (supposed crime was hitting a person, while driving distracted). Matt called his sister, and found his nephew was home in Kansas, and not Florida (though he ties to Florida). He then called the police who told him that it really was not possible to trace the cell number, but was undoubtedly a scam. When the "Lawyer" (who refused to be nailed down on specifics) called back he was simply told "Nice try guy," and hung up upon.

This is a bit scary because they knew the person's identity for whom they were attempting to imitate, AND knew his relationship with my friend. Interesting new scam.

Tuebor

Comment

Man, that has to be one of the oldest scams on the books.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
        This is a bit scary because they knew the person's identity for whom they were attempting to imitate, AND knew his relationship with my friend. Interesting new scam.
        Could any of those details have been gleaned by simply looking at something like a Facebook page?
        ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
        2) Enjoy playing it
        3) Enjoy sharing it
        4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post

Could any of those details have been gleaned by simply looking at something like a Facebook page?
          Very likely. People put far too much data on social media.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            Some guy came up to my house and said he had some leftover paving tar and would resurface my driveway. A little research yielded this result.
            Incidentally, Bwaha, I have some left over aluminum siding if you are interested in having your garage done..

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
              Some guy came up to my house and said he had some leftover paving tar and would resurface my driveway. A little research yielded this result. https://www.kion546.com/news/santa-c...diego/66236534

I called the Sheriff and he said its a scam and is on his way...
              We've had that kind of scam over here for at least forty years, surprising that it's taken that long to reach the US

One variation is that they say that they are contractors for the town council and they have material left over cash down no questions asked. It's amazing how gullible people can be if they think they are getting something stolen.
              Last edited by MarkV; 02 May 19, 05:45.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X