Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Democrats in Congress be demanding the IRS hand over Trump's tax returns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Democrats in Congress be demanding the IRS hand over Trump's tax returns?

Democrats in the House are getting set to force the IRS to hand over at least six (6) years of Trump's tax returns for their perusal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Mr. Neal (the Democrat making the request) argued that the statute in question was clear that Mr. Rettig must hand over the information. But he added that the administration had no authority to question how the committee would handle the information or the validity of its legislative purpose.
    I say it's dead, flat, wrong. The Democrats are on a fishing expedition here. The IRS hasn't found Trump doing anything criminal or wrong on his taxes so they have no real evidence that Trump has done something that needs review. Instead, they're on a fishing expedition to find something, anything, they can use against him. This is a full on witch hunt.
    Yes, it's fine that they are doing this
    23.08%
    No, It's wrong that they are doing this
    76.92%
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 13 Apr 19, 22:11.

The Democrats have an active schmear campaign against Trump, and it costs the taxpayers a ton of money. They should be held accountable for their fraud and abuse of power.
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

How about we the people demand to see all of these clowns tax returns?

Seems fair, I bet we'd see a bunch of dirty if the dems got audited for a change...
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
        Agreed.

They brought it up first, let them be the first to show us all how it's done.
        Every damned one of them.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

If Congress wanted to see a sitting President's tax returns since they took office, I don't agree with it but I can see some level of need to know for accountability purposes.

If the FBI was conducting an investigation and needed tax returns, they could demand or search warrant same from the IRS.

However, demanding the tax returns of a sitting President from when said President was a private citizen, for perusal and review by non-experts whose primary goals will be political in nature at all times.....that's a blatant violation of the 4th Amendment. I would consider that to be a search under the 4th Amendment, without proving probable cause that a crime has occurred. Private citizens have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and I think that absent a valid criminal investigation, a public servant's private actions and documents when they were a private citizen have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
            If Congress wanted to see a sitting President's tax returns since they took office, I don't agree with it but I can see some level of need to know for accountability purposes.

If the FBI was conducting an investigation and needed tax returns, they could demand or search warrant same from the IRS.

However, demanding the tax returns of a sitting President from when said President was a private citizen, for perusal and review by non-experts whose primary goals will be political in nature at all times.....that's a blatant violation of the 4th Amendment. I would consider that to be a search under the 4th Amendment, without proving probable cause that a crime has occurred. Private citizens have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and I think that absent a valid criminal investigation, a public servant's private actions and documents when they were a private citizen have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Apparently due process of law doesn't apply to conservatives.
            They want to investigate trump until they find something politically useful.
            Actual probable cause to believe there was a crime or even identify a crime doesn't apply.

And people wonder why conservatives are so reluctant to trust dems.
            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

By all means, let's take a good look at ALL of the governmental tax returns, especially those of the Democrats, ad let's make it all public as well.

This is merely another form of smear tactic by the Dumbs - if Trump refuses then "he must have something to hide". This tactic also goes directly to Obama, who was fond of using the IRS as a personal weapon.

Time for the Dummycrats to get to their regular day jobs that they are getting paid for, or for American citizens to throw them all out on the street where they belong.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

That's the biggest problem with this. The Democrats are all but openly admitting they're on a fishing expedition to find something, anything, they can use to bring Trump down. Laws be damned, their need to topple Trump is more important than that.

The "If Trump refuses to release them then he must have something to hide..." line of reasoning is right out of Soviet show trials and Kafka. It has nothing in common with US justice.

Comment

(…)
                  However, demanding the tax returns of a sitting President from when said President was a private citizen,...
                  A president of whom it has been repeatedly claimed that he's a "successful businessman".

I suspect those tax returns show otherwise.

If not - at least he's shown to be successful, not just claimed to be.
                  Last edited by Snowygerry; 15 Apr 19, 05:54.
                  Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

Seems fair, I bet we'd see a bunch of dirty if the dems got audited for a change...
                    Let's see your's. Did you take a deduction for that new roof, that illegals did for you?
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

A president of whom it has been repeatedly claimed that he's a "successful businessman".

I suspect those tax returns show otherwise.

If not - at least he's shown to be successful, not just claimed to be.
                      And I would argue relevance. We've had public figures claim all sorts of things that proved to be exaggerations. That alone is not enough to breach someone's 4th Amendment rights.

For those who don't remember what they should have learned in school, or are from a foreign nation and wouldn't have had to learn same, I give you the 4th Amendment....a key portion of the bill of rights. Not to be confused with the 3rd Amendment, unless you're British troops.

Bold is mine for emphasis:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

In Short, I am arguing that your tax returns, just like every other American Taxpayer's, are not lawfully available to political bodies. They are lawfully available to a Search Warrant or other lawful court process. And the for the purpose, as described in said process, supported by probable cause evidence given under oath. Congress does not have the right, nor the need, to compel the IRS to release the tax returns of someone when they were a private citizen. And for Congress to compel the IRS to release the tax returns of a private citizen....well it would not only be a violation of the 4th Amendment, but also of the 5th and 14th Amendments' Due Process of Law clauses.

Because when it comes down to it, if the sitting President's Tax Returns from when he was a private citizen are subject to being released to a political body for what they've practically stated are political purposes.....then EVERYONE'S tax returns are subject to the same treatment. And at that point we've turned two of the 4 most vital constitutional amendments into meaningless words on an old parchment. Those two being the 4th and 5th.....the other vital ones being the 1st and 2nd.

Comment

And I would argue relevance. We've had public figures claim all sorts of things that proved to be exaggerations. That alone is not enough to breach someone's 4th Amendment rights.

(….)

Because when it comes down to it, if the sitting President's Tax Returns from when he was a private citizen are subject to being released to a political body for what they've practically stated are political purposes.....then EVERYONE'S tax returns are subject to the same treatment. And at that point we've turned two of the 4 most vital constitutional amendments into meaningless words on an old parchment. Those two being the 4th and 5th.....the other vital ones being the 1st and 2nd.
                        Fair enough.

That's why I refrained from voting in the poll there.

I don't particularly feel they should be *demanding* the tax returns, nor do I know if there's legal ground to do so.

It's just that I won't believe he's a successful businessman, untill I've seen them

Comment

Fair enough.

That's why I refrained from voting in the poll there.

I don't particularly feel they should be *demanding* the tax returns, nor do I know if there's legal ground to do so.

It's just that I won't believe he's a successful businessman, untill I've seen them
                          I agree with both your positions, actually. I think he's been extremely successful at marketing himself and his brand. But business success in the same way as say Berkshire Hathaway......not so much.

I guess it's something I deal with every day, so I'm more aware of it. I get search warrants and violate the absolute crap out of people's privacy on a regular basis in accordance with those search warrants. I know what power a good search warrant wields, I'm staring at thousands of pages of medical records protected by HIPAA and someone's entire Facebook account right now investigating their demise. But it give me perspective, and I have a real respect for what sorts of information I could easily get if the 4th and 5th didn't exist to stop someone like me from doing it.

Comment

I agree with both your positions, actually. I think he's been extremely successful at marketing himself and his brand.
                            That's beyond doubt….

But so was Michael Jackson, for example, but he's rarely put up as an example of business acumen like Trump is

Comment

That's beyond doubt….

But so was Michael Jackson, for example, but he's rarely put up as an example of business acumen like Trump is
                              Indeed these days he is oft put up as an example of things more sinister - brands can turn toxic.
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X