Spying on your driving.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spying on your driving.

It is now official, your newer car or light truck is spying on your driving and sending that data off to the manufacturer where it can be abused by your insurance company or Big Brother.

What kind of data is being collected? My sister tells me that her new leased GM pickup truck collects and reports back to the console info such as hard acceleration and braking, speed, hard steering, time of day those events took place, location, miles driven, and when her truck is becoming due for routine maintenance.

Then, according to the article below, those on board "Black Boxes" also collect data such as your weight and places you have parked at while you are out driving.

Small wonder if you have parked your new ride for several weeks, you may return to find that the battery is now dead as a result of all the electronic systems that are on board constantly draining the battery of it's charge.

Although it is an option, it may become mandated that the driver will have to pass a Breathalyzer test before the vehicle will even start.

Small wonder your domestic vehicle has become so prohibitively expensive, as well as can only be serviced by a licensed dealer.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/cars-data-privacy
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

The 'black box' capability has been around for over a decade, and is not limited to domestic models. It is extremely useful in investigating critical vehicle accidents.

GPS tracking of vehicles has been around even longer.

It's all explained in the fine print on one of the forms you signed when you bought the car.

Since operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway is a privilege, not a right, you have no cause for complaint.

The power drain is minimal.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Only a criminal needs to worry.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        If only that were true.

Imagine a society in which you are rated by the government on your trustworthiness. Your “citizen score” follows you wherever you go. A high score allows you access to faster internet service or a fast-tracked visa to Europe. If you make political posts online without a permit, or question or contradict the government’s official narrative on current events, however, your score decreases. To calculate the score, private companies working with your government constantly trawl through vast amounts of your social media and online shopping data.

When you step outside your door, your actions in the physical world are also swept into the dragnet: The government gathers an enormous collection of information through the video cameras placed on your street and all over your city. If you commit a crime—or simply jaywalk—facial recognition algorithms will match video footage of your face to your photo in a national ID database. It won’t be long before the police show up at your door.

This society may seem dystopian, but it isn’t farfetched: It may be China in a few years. The country is racing to become the first to implement a pervasive system of algorithmic surveillance. Harnessing advances in artificial intelligence and data mining and storage to construct detailed profiles on all citizens, China’s communist party-state is developing a “citizen score” to incentivize “good” behavior. A vast accompanying network of surveillance cameras will constantly monitor citizens’ movements, purportedly to reduce crime and terrorism. While the expanding Orwellian eye may improve “public safety,” it poses a chilling new threat to civil liberties in a country that already has one of the most oppressive and controlling governments in the world.
        https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...llance/552203/

Such a policy could soon be worldwide under 5G with the Chinese collecting data from everyone no matter what country they live in.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

So don't live in China.

Ron, what are you doing that makes you so nervous about cameras? If they would pay me, I would wear a GoPro 24/7 and they could live-feed it to YouTube.

There would be no repeat hits.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

And not letting one start their car if they are over the limit is only a threat to selfish dolts who want to drive when over the limit
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              And not letting one start their car if they are over the limit is only a threat to selfish dolts who want to drive when over the limit
              If breathalyzers tied to the ignition should become mandatory, then the presumption of innocence goes out the window . . . .

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              That was the counterargument to Stop-n-Frisk's opponents: that one who was innocent had nothing to fear from a police search. In the minds of Stop-n-Frisk's supporters, Negroes aren't entitled to a presumption of innocence . . . .
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                The 'black box' capability has been around for over a decade, and is not limited to domestic models. It is extremely useful in investigating critical vehicle accidents.

GPS tracking of vehicles has been around even longer.

It's all explained in the fine print on one of the forms you signed when you bought the car.

Since operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway is a privilege, not a right, you have no cause for complaint.

The power drain is minimal.
                The invasion of privacy is not a "privilege". As an alleged law enforcement officer, you are aware of that fact...or you should be.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  So don't live in China.

Ron, what are you doing that makes you so nervous about cameras? If they would pay me, I would wear a GoPro 24/7 and they could live-feed it to YouTube.

There would be no repeat hits.
                  You just contradicted yourself: you stated that driving is a privilege and constant electronic surveillance cannot be complained about, but you yourself expect to be paid to wear surveillance equipment?

Comment

I'm personally against this. Despite it being a boon to LE efforts. I've always been one of the mind that I'm not here to save people from themselves. That's why I seriously don't think I've ever written a single seatbelt citation. But I'll hammer you on a child safety seat violation. I care if your 2 year old is strapped in because they're not old enough to make a concious and informed choice. But if your 30 year old arse, knowing full well what you're doing, wants to ride around without a seat belt.....good luck. I'm not a babysitter, and I'm not a revenue agent for the State. When it comes to anything dealing with a car, I care about what you do that adversely affects others......and not a damn about what you do that only hurts yourself.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The invasion of privacy is not a "privilege". As an alleged law enforcement officer, you are aware of that fact...or you should be.
                      I think that he was speaking more directly to operating a motor vehicle on a road, street, or highway. While I disagree with him, he is generally correct that the protections of the 4th Amendment vary widely based on your physical location. They're strongest in your bedroom, and get weaker the further out you go.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                        I'm personally against this. Despite it being a boon to LE efforts. I've always been one of the mind that I'm not here to save people from themselves. That's why I seriously don't think I've ever written a single seatbelt citation. But I'll hammer you on a child safety seat violation. I care if your 2 year old is strapped in because they're not old enough to make a concious and informed choice. But if your 30 year old arse, knowing full well what you're doing, wants to ride around without a seat belt.....good luck. I'm not a babysitter, and I'm not a revenue agent for the State. When it comes to anything dealing with a car, I care about what you do that adversely affects others......and not a damn about what you do that only hurts yourself.
                        Don't give a damn about saving people from themselves but I do care about idiots killing other, innocent, people (one of whom might be me) and evidence from black box monitoring systems over here strongly indicate that the accident rate involving other vehicles plummets. Insurance companies started introducing them over here as a condition for teenage drivers getting insurance they could afford. Evidence suggests that not only does it greatly reduce accidents but it also reduces driving costs as brake and tyre wear diminish and MPG improves - everyone benefits even the very young as this style driving produces less particulates to pollute the air.

In Saudi the introduction of seatbelt laws was strongly opposed especially amongst the religious right (the majority) (odd isn't it how the extreme in two very different countries take the same approach?) In the case of Saudi because it was God's will if you got killed in a road accident. However one cleric started preaching that perhaps it might be God's will to buckle up and not leave widows and orphans to the charity of others.
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Americans don't care about freedom anymore, as you can see by the responses to this topic.
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                            Americans don't care about freedom anymore, as you can see by the responses to this topic.
                            Are you suggesting that I'm not American, or that I'm not adequately concerned with the preservation of our freedoms?
                            Last edited by slick_miester; 11 Apr 19, 16:00. Reason: I can't spell. "D'oh!"
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                              Pretty much my philosophy in life, although the new insurance scams guarantee that drivers with excellent records will end up paying for those who drive like kamikaze, and without belts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X