A REAL National Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post

And yet Soy bean exports are way up (making a significant dent in the trade deficit according to the news). As for the flooding, this sort of thing happens regularly in large river flood plains (Mississippi, Yellow, Nile, etc), and is actually extremely important in renewing the nutrients in the soil. That is why the risk of being flooded out like this is taken and accepted by farmers; the soil in alluvial flood plains is exceptionally rich, and does not wear out. Yes farmers get hurt, but they will make out in the long run, and insurance and subsidies will alleviate most of the pain. Such is the life of farmers.

Tuebor
    Exports being up has nothing to do with bankruptcies also being up. Smaller farmers are merely swallowed up by the corporate giants.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

And yet Soy bean exports are way up (making a significant dent in the trade deficit according to the news). As for the flooding, this sort of thing happens regularly in large river flood plains (Mississippi, Yellow, Nile, etc), and is actually extremely important in renewing the nutrients in the soil. That is why the risk of being flooded out like this is taken and accepted by farmers; the soil in alluvial flood plains is exceptionally rich, and does not wear out. Yes farmers get hurt, but they will make out in the long run, and insurance and subsidies will alleviate most of the pain. Such is the life of farmers.

Tuebor
      Soy beans ARE NOT a way up.

https://www.agweb.com/article/despit...ight-struggle/

subsidies, another word for welfare.

As far a flood plains etc. I have lot's of first hand knowledge having grown up on an island in the middle of the Ohio
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Soy beans ARE NOT a way up.

https://www.agweb.com/article/despit...ight-struggle/

subsidies, another word for welfare.
        That data is more than three months out of date. https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019...a-economy.html

As for welfare, is that something you not-Right-Wingers advocate for?

[/quote]As far a flood plains etc. I have lot's of first hand knowledge having grown up on an island in the middle of the Ohio
        [/QUOTE]

Then why your panic?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Exports being up has nothing to do with bankruptcies also being up. Smaller farmers are merely swallowed up by the corporate giants.
          MM that has been the Cry of Doom, since McCormick invented the combine harvester. The object is food production, and I don't much care who produces it so long as it is plenty and affordable. It should be pointed out that many a small farmer has joined local Co-Ops, which by definition are corporations also.

Comment

That data is more than three months out of date. https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019...a-economy.html

As for welfare, is that something you not-Right-Wingers advocate for?
            As far a flood plains etc. I have lot's of first hand knowledge having grown up on an island in the middle of the Ohio
            [/QUOTE]

Then why your panic?

[/QUOTE]

We didn't have to drive tractors into the fields soaked with water for our spring planting.

Comment

MM that has been the Cry of Doom, since McCormick invented the combine harvester. The object is food production, and I don't much care who produces it so long as it is plenty and affordable. It should be pointed out that many a small farmer has joined local Co-Ops, which by definition are corporations also.
              Sorry my maturity is so hard for you to handle.

Doesn't mean I'm wrong, though. Just means you side-tracked yourself from the central thrust of the argument - small farmers and ranchers are disappearing breed, and corporations lack the ethical and moral standards of those they replace. Pride in operating and producing is replaced by bottom-line tactics and winner-take-all mentalities. In many cases, this leads to out-sourcing food production sources.

"Don't much care who produces your food"? Then be sure and buy food produced in Mexico, famous for salmonella, E. coli, various forms of Hepatitisand a host of other things that can make you sick and/or kill you.

Bon appetite.

Comment

Is it worse than the Monstao foods that you eat?

Comment

Well, in my case I barely consume anything Monsanto manufactures:

https://realfarmacy.com/printable-li...ood-producers/

Whereas I know you gulp down gallons of one of their products: Kool-Aid...

Comment

I don't buy Monsanto...in fact, we don't see that label very much out here.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Well, in my case I barely consume anything Monsanto manufactures:

https://realfarmacy.com/printable-li...ood-producers/

Whereas I know you gulp down gallons of one of their products: Kool-Aid...
                      Ka-CHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I don't buy Monsanto...in fact, we don't see that label very much out here.
                        Then you don't eat anything commercial produced. Ever hear of Round UP? You most likely go a taste of it within the last week

Comment

Isn't there a nursery room or a playground somewhere where this "conversation" can be continued in private?
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            Isn't there a nursery room or a playground somewhere where this "conversation" can be continued in private?
                            Do you know what "Round UP" is?

Your comment shows some ignorance.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X