Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the U.S. give reparations for slavery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religion in the Civil War:
    The Southern Perspective

Harry S. Stout
    Professor of History, Religious Studies, and American Studies
    Jonathan Edwards Professor of American Christianity, Yale Divinity School
    ©National Humanities Center

The Civil War began with a largely symbolic battle at Fort Sumter, a battle in which the only fatality was a (southern) horse. Yet it immediately raised to national crisis a conflict that had been spilling blood regionally for decades. The perspective of what would quickly become the Confederate States of America the southern perspective balanced on two points: first, that the individual state was sovereign, even to the point of secession; second, that the peculiar institution of slavery was not only expedient but also ordained by God and upheld in Holy Scripture. When news spread of the surrender of Fort Sumter on April 13 and of Lincolns call for 75,000 troops, one southern state after another seceded and the Confederacy (of 11 states in all) was born. With it was born the Souths embrace of religion as its moral defense and its motive force.

Its abundantly clear, as recent scholarship has demonstrated that religion stood at the center of the Civil War for both sides. Both North and South looked to God for meaning, and each side believed with equal fervor and certitude that God was on its side. Many ministers, generals, leaders, and editors went so far as to proclaim that God had ordained the war and would determine its length, its damages, and its outcome. The victor would show, in other words, whose side God really supported. New England political and religious leaders had long proclaimed themselves Gods chosen people. With the start of the Civil War, southerners laid claim to the title and, through speech, print, and ritual actions, proceeded to "prove" their claim.

http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/...fo/cwsouth.htm
    Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 15 Mar 19, 18:45.
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

I'm confused. Are we giving Jesus reparations or not?
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post

Exactly. Let's remember all the Union boys who died in Southern territory. Should their descendants pay reperations to the descendants of slaves?
        But let's not forget had those Union boys not been in Southern territory, they would not have been dead in Southern territory.
        “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
        --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

My main point totally relates to the thread. This thread is about slavery in America. And during the slave times there were white Catholic and Protestants that said the Bible opposed slavery, while other whites Christian in name wrongly said The Bible approves of slavery. The Catholic Church saw many of its followers in the 19th century stand for liberty and equality among man. That has to be taken into consideration wrt talks of reparations for slaves or descendants of slaves that is the fact that white Americans did in numbers oppose slavery of black people and huge masses of White Christian Americans fought on the Union side for freedom for black slaves(and they the black slaves were Christians) during the Us Civil War. The US Civil War which saw Christian brothers fight each other, if only that war could have been avoided.

To each their own when it comes to value systems or so called religions. I admire the Church because it continues the legacy of The Round Table and the Values of Knighthood. Catholic Churches all over the world come with a feel of the middle ages wrt their paintings and statues.
          Seriously? It was the Church that started the Holy Crusades in order to take control of the rich spice trading routes. It was the Church who destroyed the Templars for their money and lands. It was the Church that sponsored the Inquisition which was all about seizing money and property. It was the Church that rap[ed and enslaved and butchered the New World. And it was the Church that made a deal with the Nazis to protect themselves, said nothing and did nothing about the mass extinction of the Jews and then provided Vatican diplomatic passports, sanctuaries and transportation to help the murderer and torturers out of Germany to escape prosecution. The Church has a foul history when it comes to civil rights.

And none of this has anything to do with 21st century demands for reparations by people who have never know slavery on their entire lives but whose ancestors were often enslaved in the past by Catholics.

NO REPARATIONS, PERIOD.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post

Do whites have to be suppressed to make up for slavery? Let's not forget the cultural element. Tupac might be as legendary as Billy the Kid.
            Americans of all stripes like criminals: All Capone, John Gotti, Whitey Bulger. Nice Jewish boy with an NYU sheepskin authored a tome not too long ago called Tough Jews, wherein he lauded Tic Toc Tannenbaum and Louis Lepke as well as Bugsy Seigel and Mayer Lansky. It's in our nature to admire bad guys. I didn't know that that was indicative of any political zeitgeist, however.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Savez View Post

But let's not forget had those Union boys not been in Southern territory, they would not have been dead in Southern territory.
              Please, not that sorry old argument again. If the southern states had not revolted against the lawful government, there would have been no US troops in the southern states.
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Please, not that sorry old argument again. If the southern states had not revolted against the lawful government, there would have been no US troops in the southern states.
                What I wrote was absolutely true.
                “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
                --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

If I knew my money was going to help fellow Southerners I'd be happy to pay reparations. They were exploited for a long time. Building up black communities and small businesses could benefit everyone.
                  --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

US revolted against lawful British government. South just did the same.
                    There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Rod Woodson on the absurdity of Reparations for Slavery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m70GjVwmS9Y
                      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                        I'm confused. Are we giving Jesus reparations or not?
                        lord Jesus is part of the 60,001. Jewish former captive slaves, class action lawsuit against the Roman - coliseum....construction management consortium..
                        Last edited by marktwain; 16 Mar 19, 12:23. Reason: erratta...
                        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

Ilord Jesus is part of the 60001. JEwish former captive slaves, class action lawsuit against the Roman coliseum....
                          Descendants of slaves should sue African slave traders, or at least their descendants.
                          "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Remember, blacks weren't the only slaves. The Irish and Chinese were sold into slavery as well.
                            "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                              Remember, blacks weren't the only slaves. The Irish and Chinese were sold into slavery as well.
                              And then the Irish turned into corrupt Congress critters with names like Ryan, McConnell and Graham.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post

US revolted against lawful British government. South just did the same.
                                No the two were quite different. The Americans were living in colonies without the same rights as Englishmen. In point of fact they were not considered Englishment by the British government. That was not the case with the southern states in the US as they were full citizens, with the notable exception of the black slaves, and they had the same rights as other American citizens.

Once again a foray by you into history comes up with incorrect and skewed material.

And if you're actually interested in the period of the American Revolution you might want to study just a little bit the Age of Reason and the Enlightenment.
                                We are not now that strength which in old days
                                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X