Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the U.S. give reparations for slavery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American87
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

I'd say that the Roman government made up for that -- when the emperor Constantine first ended persecution of Christians, then started funding Christian churches, and then his successors named Christianity Rome's state religion, and then they started persecuting pagans. So I'd say it's all come 'round full circle.
    Good point. Would you say affirmative action and Obamaís elections make up for slavery?

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by American87 View Post

Exactly. Iím Catholic, should the Roman government pay me reparations for persecuting me thousands of years ago?
    I'd say that the Roman government made up for that -- when the emperor Constantine first ended persecution of Christians, then started funding Christian churches, and then his successors named Christianity Rome's state religion, and then they started persecuting pagans. So I'd say it's all come 'round full circle.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by marktwain View Post

Not to worry, MM./ Sanctum Solara now officially says you can be saved, so I've abandoned my plan to immerse you in a horse trough for adult baptism - as a reborn dogan
    I do not need to "be saved", since that sort of thing exists only in your mind.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Originally posted by American87 View Post

Exactly. Iím Catholic, should the Roman government pay me reparations for persecuting me thousands of years ago?
    ONLY if you abandon SSPX....

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied
    Strange stuff to me

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by marktwain View Post

Not according to SSPX, or some of the more nefarious Tridentine err, backwoods hillbilly beloved fellow Catholics...
    Why are you bothering? That child soesn't even know the liturgy that he praises eight days a week.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Lip service while the Church protects them as it always has. When you have a church that claims to be a nation they don't follow anyone else's laws.

Meanwhile, back in Judea, Jesus wasn't a Catholic. No such designation existed, and Pontius Pilate specifically referred to him as "king of the Jews".

Maybe all this stuff was edited out of the Catholic bible in the 4th century Conclave when church leaders decided to heavily edit, redact and revise their own history. What's left now is hardly worthy of the name.

Kind of like the history of slavery - edited, redacted, revised and mostly made up these days, or taken from Hollywoody films.

My ancestors were Irish, and as hard rock gold miners in the Sierra Nevada mountains they never owned, nor even saw, any slaves....except their fellow Irishmen.
    Not to worry, MM./ Sanctum Solara now officially says you can be saved, so I've abandoned my plan to immerse you in a horse trough for adult baptism - as a reborn dogan

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Originally posted by III Corps View Post

Only buy Catholics.

Corrected your misprint

we are not , currently, for sale....
    Interestingly enough, the Anglican church, or at least one priest I've encountered, claims that the Anglican rite or confession can validly call themselves " Anglican Catholics" and that the church of Rome has no monopoly on the name...

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

Jesus did find the Catholic Church which teaches Christianity. We may disagree on this thats ok, I will never change my view as Our Lord and Savior founded the Catholic Church which btw the Church teaches that good non Catholics can get into Heaven.

The Catholic Church Was Founded By Jesus Christ Our Lord

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/bheld...hrist-our-lord

Not according to SSPX, or some of the more nefarious Tridentine err, backwoods hillbilly beloved fellow Catholics...

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

The Catholic Church opposes all sex crimes. And at my Local Church Opposition to such crimes have been voiced.
    Lip service while the Church protects them as it always has. When you have a church that claims to be a nation they don't follow anyone else's laws.

Meanwhile, back in Judea, Jesus wasn't a Catholic. No such designation existed, and Pontius Pilate specifically referred to him as "king of the Jews".

Maybe all this stuff was edited out of the Catholic bible in the 4th century Conclave when church leaders decided to heavily edit, redact and revise their own history. What's left now is hardly worthy of the name.

Kind of like the history of slavery - edited, redacted, revised and mostly made up these days, or taken from Hollywoody films.

My ancestors were Irish, and as hard rock gold miners in the Sierra Nevada mountains they never owned, nor even saw, any slaves....except their fellow Irishmen.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Nebfer View Post
    Why should we do reparations? All the people affected are long dead, their children are all long dead (sans a handful), most of their grand kids are dead and many of the great grand kids are dead or are in the process of dying off.

So to whom do we owe reparations?
    No one.

Leave a comment:

• III Corps
    replied
    ...It can be said that Jesus founded the Catholic Church...
    Only by Catholics.

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    Yes-there were only Christians in the Roman Empire as the religion hadn't broken into different permanent Christian sects yet. The first schism happened in the 11th century when the eastern church broke from Rome.

There were problems in the Christian 'community' which was shy Constantine the Great called the council of Nicaea in the 4th century to settle the differences. And Constantine had to threaten to use force against the bishops if they could not come to a decision on Christian doctrine. Their 'decision' came swiftly after that announcement.
    There were major splits in Christianity during Roman times, e.g Arianism.

The official the term Catholic was used to describe Christians in the empire and to differentiate sects since 110ad.

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied
    Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Here they're still sometimes called "Roman Catholics" - but I suspect that has more to do with later religious conflicts and the popes in Rome, not the Romans as such.
    Yes, it isn't because of the Romans, but because the Pope lives in Rome.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    Yes-there were only Christians in the Roman Empire as the religion hadn't broken into different permanent Christian sects yet. The first schism happened in the 11th century when the eastern church broke from Rome.

There were problems in the Christian 'community' which was shy Constantine the Great called the council of Nicaea in the 4th century to settle the differences. And Constantine had to threaten to use force against the bishops if they could not come to a decision on Christian doctrine. Their 'decision' came swiftly after that announcement.
    Here they're still sometimes called "Roman Catholics" - but I suspect that has more to do with later religious conflicts and the popes in Rome, not the Romans as such.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X