Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the U.S. give reparations for slavery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And fwiw I do not consider myself much of a religious person. I need to get to Church more. I did get to Church a few weeks back where the Priest asked everyone in Audience to sign a document opposed to Abortion,. The document was to be presented to Gov officials standing for abortion... I gladly signed. That Catholic Leadership by Father Dave reminded of those American Christians of that Civil War Era that said the the teachings of Jesus oppose Slavery.

There are many more religious people in our world compared to myself. But I still believe fully in the Catholic Doctrine of standing for liberal values, helping the poor and making the world a better place.
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
      And fwiw I do not consider myself much of a religious person. I need to get to Church more. I did get to Church a few weeks back where the Priest asked everyone in Audience to sign a document opposed to Abortion,. The document was to be presented to Gov officials standing for abortion... I gladly signed. That Catholic Leadership by Father Dave reminded of those American Christians of that Civil War Era that said the the teachings of Jesus oppose Slavery.

There are many more religious people in our world compared to myself. But I still believe fully in the Catholic Doctrine of standing for liberal values, helping the poor and making the world a better place.
      The teachings oppose pedophiles, too. Maybe your priest should voice some official concerns about that.

Meanwhile, we're talking about whether or not reparations are due anyone for slavery. I vote NO.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Join the club.

I don't know how "favorable" Roman bondage was.
        Mia maxima culpa !I meant to type "UNTIL after the sacking of ..."

Unfortunately, a leprechaun or Gremlin channeled my consciousness for mischief....or something like that...

the Maccabees had an " eternal fraternal alliance ' with the Roman republic... engraved on bronze tablets. Vespasian probably melted them down first..

I do imagine that The Flavian family spinmeister probably put out press releases lauding Vespasian's " Creating 60,0000 direct jobs plus the indirect employment ...:"

" and the high levels of satisfaction among captive - lions....

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The teachings oppose pedophiles, too. Maybe your priest should voice some official concerns about that.

Meanwhile, we're talking about whether or not reparations are due anyone for slavery. I vote NO.
          The Catholic Church opposes all sex crimes. And at my Local Church Opposition to such crimes have been voiced.

Btw The Roman Empire was not against Jews and welcomed diversity. The Romans were diverse as we can see their lands stretched into various parts of the world. The Roman Empire welcomed those that could provide support,

Sons of Israel in Caesar’s Service: Jewish Soldiers in the Roman Military Andrew J. Schoenfeld, MD

The participation of Roman Jewish soldiers in the armies of Imperial Rome often goes unrecognized. This is mainly a result of a lack of recognition on the part of scholars who wish to use Rabbinic sources as the benchmark for Jewish practice in the Imperial Age. It is also difficult to identify Jewish soldiers, many of whom had Greek and Latin names, unless they are specifically identified as Jews or are found in a Jewish context such as dedicatory inscriptions from a synagogue.

Nonetheless, by using a variety of sources from the period it is possible to appreciate the depth and breadth of Jewish service in the Roman legions from the time of Caesar down to the early fifth century. There were Jews who served as simple foot soldiers, influential generals like Tiberius Julius Alexander, and Jewish military units such as the Regii Emeseni Iudaei. Regardless of their relationship to “orthodox” Jewish communities of the time, the service of Roman Jews in the Imperial armed forces must be recognized. In the year 69 the Roman province of Judea was consumed by a three-year rebellion that pitted Jewish zealots against the authority of the Emperor and the House of Herod.

Not only was the revolt a destabilizing factor in the eastern regions of the Empire but it also posed a significant challenge to the new emperor, Vespasian. In order to quell the Jewish revolt in his eastern marches, Vespasian resolved to send an army under the command of his son, Titus, with explicit orders to crush the insurrection. Although the emperor’s young son showed exceptional talent and tact for leadership, he lacked the military experience deemed necessary for a Roman general. Therefore, the emperor was forced to choose an able commander capable of assisting Titus in the Judean expedition. A great number of prestigious military men were available for the post, including Annius Vinicianus, son-in-law to the famed general, Corbulo. But Vespasian made the unlikely choice of an Alexandrian Jew named Tiberius Julius Alexander to spearhead the Roman army in its effort to thwart the Jewish uprising. The emperor’s decision was to prove fortuitous, as not only did Tiberius Alexander coordinate a Roman victory in Judea but he also became Titus’ trusted advisor and may have eventually reached the rank of Praetorian Prefect

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/197158/pdf
          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Why should we do reparations? All the people affected are long dead, their children are all long dead (sans a handful), most of their grand kids are dead and many of the great grand kids are dead or are in the process of dying off.

So to whom do we owe reparations?

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
              Yes-there were only Christians in the Roman Empire as the religion hadn't broken into different permanent Christian sects yet. The first schism happened in the 11th century when the eastern church broke from Rome.

There were problems in the Christian 'community' which was shy Constantine the Great called the council of Nicaea in the 4th century to settle the differences. And Constantine had to threaten to use force against the bishops if they could not come to a decision on Christian doctrine. Their 'decision' came swiftly after that announcement.
              Here they're still sometimes called "Roman Catholics" - but I suspect that has more to do with later religious conflicts and the popes in Rome, not the Romans as such.
              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
              Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Here they're still sometimes called "Roman Catholics" - but I suspect that has more to do with later religious conflicts and the popes in Rome, not the Romans as such.
                Yes, it isn't because of the Romans, but because the Pope lives in Rome.
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                  Yes-there were only Christians in the Roman Empire as the religion hadn't broken into different permanent Christian sects yet. The first schism happened in the 11th century when the eastern church broke from Rome.

There were problems in the Christian 'community' which was shy Constantine the Great called the council of Nicaea in the 4th century to settle the differences. And Constantine had to threaten to use force against the bishops if they could not come to a decision on Christian doctrine. Their 'decision' came swiftly after that announcement.
                  There were major splits in Christianity during Roman times, e.g Arianism.

The official the term Catholic was used to describe Christians in the empire and to differentiate sects since 110ad.
                  "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

...It can be said that Jesus founded the Catholic Church...
                    Only by Catholics.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebfer View Post
                      Why should we do reparations? All the people affected are long dead, their children are all long dead (sans a handful), most of their grand kids are dead and many of the great grand kids are dead or are in the process of dying off.

So to whom do we owe reparations?
                      No one.

Comment

The Catholic Church opposes all sex crimes. And at my Local Church Opposition to such crimes have been voiced.
                        Lip service while the Church protects them as it always has. When you have a church that claims to be a nation they don't follow anyone else's laws.

Meanwhile, back in Judea, Jesus wasn't a Catholic. No such designation existed, and Pontius Pilate specifically referred to him as "king of the Jews".

Maybe all this stuff was edited out of the Catholic bible in the 4th century Conclave when church leaders decided to heavily edit, redact and revise their own history. What's left now is hardly worthy of the name.

Kind of like the history of slavery - edited, redacted, revised and mostly made up these days, or taken from Hollywoody films.

My ancestors were Irish, and as hard rock gold miners in the Sierra Nevada mountains they never owned, nor even saw, any slaves....except their fellow Irishmen.

Comment

Jesus did find the Catholic Church which teaches Christianity. We may disagree on this thats ok, I will never change my view as Our Lord and Savior founded the Catholic Church which btw the Church teaches that good non Catholics can get into Heaven.

The Catholic Church Was Founded By Jesus Christ Our Lord

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/bheld...hrist-our-lord

Not according to SSPX, or some of the more nefarious Tridentine err, backwoods hillbilly beloved fellow Catholics...

Comment

Originally posted by III Corps View Post

Only buy Catholics.

Corrected your misprint

we are not , currently, for sale....
                            Interestingly enough, the Anglican church, or at least one priest I've encountered, claims that the Anglican rite or confession can validly call themselves " Anglican Catholics" and that the church of Rome has no monopoly on the name...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Lip service while the Church protects them as it always has. When you have a church that claims to be a nation they don't follow anyone else's laws.

Meanwhile, back in Judea, Jesus wasn't a Catholic. No such designation existed, and Pontius Pilate specifically referred to him as "king of the Jews".

Maybe all this stuff was edited out of the Catholic bible in the 4th century Conclave when church leaders decided to heavily edit, redact and revise their own history. What's left now is hardly worthy of the name.

Kind of like the history of slavery - edited, redacted, revised and mostly made up these days, or taken from Hollywoody films.

My ancestors were Irish, and as hard rock gold miners in the Sierra Nevada mountains they never owned, nor even saw, any slaves....except their fellow Irishmen.
                              Not to worry, MM./ Sanctum Solara now officially says you can be saved, so I've abandoned my plan to immerse you in a horse trough for adult baptism - as a reborn dogan

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

Not according to SSPX, or some of the more nefarious Tridentine err, backwoods hillbilly beloved fellow Catholics...
                                Why are you bothering? That child soesn't even know the liturgy that he praises eight days a week.
                                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X