Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the U.S. give reparations for slavery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No, because the Romans never persecuted Catholics because they did not exist at that time. They persecuted Jews from Judea and surrounding regions. Masada was about the Jews...No Catholics.
    Disagree here my friend as various Jewish groups openly rebelled against the Roman empire so both sides have their good and bad there

Jews also thrived in various times in the Roman Repulic and Empire. These were Roman Jews or Jewish Romans
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

So called racism was completely unknown to the Roman Empire . We Can see the 33rd emperor of the Roman empire was an Arab. We can see that Jews Africans and Europeans all had the opportunity to advance in the Roman Empire...

Otoh In the early United States of America black folks were enslaved and they do not live the same lives as their brothers did in the Roman empire, The various Catholic kingdoms of Europe , the various Catholic and Christian entities of Africa , As well as a number of the Muslim empires and kingdoms.

Islam and Christianity When practiced properly Are very open and strong religions Thatís why today over half The world is Muslim or Christian . And why Muslims and Christians have contributed so much to technology science medicine and all fields of life.

America is a beautiful country today with work to do. Our issues today are jobs related . Thatís one Thing the US government can do is improve the opportunities for the black-and-white poor folks in the inner cities.

In itís early days the United States got away from the values of all the great empires and kingdoms of history wrt how the early USA approved of slavery of black people.
      Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 14 Mar 19, 15:45.

George S Patton

Comment

Imagine why today we see some middle eastern Arab Jews and Muslims whom actually look white. We see this in Syria Lebanon Israel Jordan and more .

This clearly goes back to the intermingling amongst peoples in the times of the Roman Empire of which The empire stretched into the heart of the Middle East. Such Beautiful diversity from the Roman empire...we saw the same from a Number of Catholic Kingdoms of the Middle Ages. Thatís why I always identify as a Catholic in the first place itís the most proud identifier for me . Above anything else I am a Catholic.

George S Patton

Comment

Got to love your priest

The history of the RCC isn't praise worthy.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Oh ya John. Well Jesus founded the Catholic Church in the 1st century. The history of the Church is the message of Jesus, it can never be changed. Any Catholic in all of history that opposed equality among man was going against The Faith.

We did have a # of white Christians in the USA whom argued against other white Christians wrt the issue of slavery. White Americans used the Bible in the 19th century to approve of or disapprove of slavery.

George S Patton

Comment

Of course to note as a Catholic...the Church says that good non Catholics can get into heaven. Its interesting that Protestants when saying the Apostles Creed, actually in part say I believe in the Holy Catholic Church.

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/pr...christ-founded

The early USA would have saw Protestants and Catholics uniting against slavery which is interesting.

George S Patton

Comment

No. Absolutely not.
                The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                  Oh ya John. Well Jesus founded the Catholic Church in the 1st century. The history of the Church is the message of Jesus, it can never be changed. Any Catholic in all of history that opposed equality among man was going against The Faith.

We did have a # of white Christians in the USA whom argued against other white Christians wrt the issue of slavery. White Americans used the Bible in the 19th century to approve of or disapprove of slavery.
                  No, Jesus founded Christianity. The Catholic Church evolved from that founding.
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Any Catholic in all of history that opposed equality among man was going against The Faith.
                    The Spanish Inquisition along with pogroms against the Jews and putting them into ghettos most certainly was against the teachings of Jesus.

Pope Pius VII, who was pope during Napoleon's reign as Emperor of the French maintained the Inquisition in Rome as well as a Jewish ghetto. Napoleon abolished the Inquisition in both Spain and Rome and also abolished the Jewish ghetto in Rome. All were reestablished by 'good Catholics' when Napoleon fell.

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

No, Jesus founded Christianity. The Catholic Church evolved from that founding.
                      Jesus did find the Catholic Church which teaches Christianity. We may disagree on this thats ok, I will never change my view as Our Lord and Savior founded the Catholic Church which btw the Church teaches that good non Catholics can get into Heaven.

The Catholic Church Was Founded By Jesus Christ Our Lord

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/bheld...hrist-our-lord

George S Patton

Comment

The Spanish Inquisition along with pogroms against the Jews and putting them into ghettos most certainly was against the teachings of Jesus.

Pope Pius VII, who was pope during Napoleon's reign as Emperor of the French maintained the Inquisition in Rome as well as a Jewish ghetto. Napoleon abolished the Inquisition in both Spain and Rome and also abolished the Jewish ghetto in Rome. All were reestablished by 'good Catholics' when Napoleon fell.
                        I agree that Catholic history included intolerance. Many Catholics point out that the message of Jesus is inclusive though. So one has to separate the Church teachings from any and all Catholics of history that taught intolerance, as intolerance goes against The Faith.

George S Patton

Comment

To add,

An Organized Society

The plain, simple truth is that Jesus Christ founded on earth directly and personally an organized religious society which he called his Church. A society is a number of people who work together under the same authority using the same means towards the same objective.

Jesus Christ selected certain men whom he personally trained to govern his Church under one whom he appointed its head. He told them what they were to aim at and how they were to do it, with his help. Years passed and that simple society grew; its organization became more complex, but we can trace its history through the centuries. To-day only the Catholic Church claims, and is able to prove her claim, to be that society.

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/pr...christ-founded

Again, no matter what is said friend. Im never changing my view that Jesus founded the Catholic Church. One can say the whole point of being religious is to believe. I got no problem with non Catholics or Atheists whom tell a different story about our world and the afterlife..

We have diverse beliefs in our world and that is great. The Church itself welcomes diversity. So anyone that takes offense to a Catholic saying my religion is true, a Hindu saying my religion is true, etc etc...that is there own problem. We can all get along.

In the 12th Century, The Catholic Kingdom of Jerusalem was praised by a Muslim scholar for its tolerance of non Christians. And it all makes sense...note the stories of King Arthur, Robin Hood, Richard I, and The round table...it is very interesting that Christian men and women of the middle ages were entertained by stories involving very good and humane values such as giving to the poor and fighting for what is good and right. You talk about the Spanish Empire, well we can go back hundreds of years before the Spanish Empire to find the Catholic Kingdom of Jerusalem which one day will rise again God willing. We can see that Catholics of the middle ages practiced love and tolerance, well the world today could use that.

George S Patton

Comment

Three Cheers for the Abolitionist Pope!":
                            American Reaction to Gregory XVI's Condemnation of the Slave Trade, 1840-1860

John F. Quinn

In December, 1839, Pope Gregory XVI issued In Supremo, an apostolic letter that condemned the slave trade in the strongest possible terms. He published the statement at the prompting of the British government, which had been campaigning for years to bring the trade to an end.

The British believed that a papal letter might persuade Spain and Portugal to enforce the laws against slave trafficking in their domains, but it had little impact on either country. Instead, Gregory's pronouncement set off a debate both within and without the Catholic community in the United States. During the 1840's and '50's, it twice surfaced during presidential campaigns, was hotly debated by supporters of the Irish Repeal1 movement, and was hailed by the abolitionist leader Wendell Phillips. Even the Catholic bishops, who were very wary about making political pronouncements, were drawn into the fray. Indeed, as the Church's ranks swelled through immigration from Ireland and to a lesser extent from German states and made it America's largest religion, arguments raged over what it really taught about slavery.

2 All the way up until the Civil War, abolitionists repeatedly put forward Gregory's letter when trying to make the case that the Catholic Church opposed slavery

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/54484/summary

George S Patton

Comment

Jesus did find the Catholic Church which teaches Christianity. We may disagree on this thats ok, I will never change my view as Our Lord and Savior founded the Catholic Church which btw the Church teaches that good non Catholics can get into Heaven.

The Catholic Church Was Founded By Jesus Christ Our Lord

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/bheld...hrist-our-lord

What would evolve into the Roman Catholic Church according to Church teachings was founded by Jesus Christ. However, it was not known as the Catholic Church until much later and some historians believe that the Roman Catholic Church did not come into existence until the official beginning in 590 AD with Pope Gregory I.

What year or time did the Church officially become the Roman Catholic Church? It surely wasn't when Jesus founded it. The title probably was not used until the Great Schism of 1054. Or, some historians believe that the term didn't come into usage until the Church of England broke with Rome.

The bottom line is that Jesus didn't use the term and it didn't come into usage until much later.

Comment

What would evolve into the Roman Catholic Church according to Church teachings was founded by Jesus Christ. However, it was not known as the Catholic Church until much later and some historians believe that the Roman Catholic Church did not come into existence until the official beginning in 590 AD with Pope Gregory I.

What year or time did the Church officially become the Roman Catholic Church? It surely wasn't when Jesus founded it. The title probably was not used until the Great Schism of 1054. Or, some historians believe that the term didn't come into usage until the Church of England broke with Rome.

The bottom line is that Jesus didn't use the term and it didn't come into usage until much later.
                                It can be said that Jesus founded the Catholic Church. See this,

Just before he was crucified, Jesus prayed not only for the universality and catholicity of the Church, but for her visible unity:

[T]hat they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me Jn 17:2123 NASB).

The early Church understood Jesus words. What good was an invisible, theoretical, impractical unity? For the world to see a catholic unity, the oneness of the Church must be a visible, real, physical, and visible reality. All of this the Catholic Church is. Since the earliest centuries Christians have confessed that the Church is one, holy, catholic and apostolic. One because there is only one, visible, organic, and unified Church; holy because she is called out of the world to be the Bride of Christ, righteous and sanctified; catholic because she is universal, unified, and covers the whole world; apostolic because Christ founded her (Mt. 16:18) through his apostles, and the apostles authority are carried on through the bishops. Through the centuries, this creed has been the statement of the Church.

https://www.catholicconvert.com/blog...10/29/1587388/

George S Patton

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X