Infrastructure Spending 1956 to 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infrastructure Spending 1956 to 2014

I need some help. I was looking at public infrastructure speeding form 1956 to 2014 https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fi...entaldata.xlsx adjusted for inflation it looks like we our spending more on infrastructure by about 4 times. I used consumer price index to adjust for inflation. As far as I can tell heavy construction cost indexes are not that out of line with consumer indexes. It looks like per capita spending is roughly twice that of 1956 levels. Assuming some efficiency of scale and the per capita spending rate our infrastructure should not be in as bad of shape as it appears to be.

The logical conclusion is that our infrastructure is falling apart because there is just so much more of it per capita than there was in 1956. Thoughts?
    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      The guy was an idiot. I knew that years before he ran for president. You shouldn't be able to run for public office unless you have at least ten years doing something of practical usefulness and that doesn't include being a lawyer, academic or anything that doesn't produce something tangible in a competitive market place.
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

A lot of what is reported as "infrastructure spending" is misdirected or mislabeled. There is an international golf tournament in Colorado every year, so every year the road leading to it is repaved although it normally serves a rich, private enclave that does not allow heavy vehicles and doesn't need it. The repavement is reported as "road repairs".

This goes on everywhere all of the time.

You might also consider this: although roads are repaired or rebuilt to the same standards as before, the traffic load is far higher and far heavier. The roads thus repaired do not last as long. With no internal supervision, the big rigs very often haul far more than they are rated for and the damage to the highways is readily apparent.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X