Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major Educational Scam Reported

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Major Educational Scam Reported

    Just watched the evening news and an athletic coach is one of a group of scammer responsibly for faking SAT scores and altering athletic records to get kids into colleges they otherwise weren't qualified for. The costs ran from $15,000 to $40.000 and the coach confessed to taking in $25 million dollars. He specialized in faking athletic profiles to qualify kids for scholarships.

    Two of the college were Stanford and UCLA.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

  • #2
    What’s with these rich asshats? Can’t they just send their children off to school and pay for it out of their deep deep pockets?
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    Comment


    • #3
      Their kids were not smart enough to get sufficient SAT scores to guarantee enrollment at the institution of their choice.
      ScenShare Guidelines:

      1) Enjoy creating it
      2) Enjoy playing it
      3) Enjoy sharing it
      4) Enjoy helping others create them

      The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

      FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
        What’s with these rich asshats? Can’t they just send their children off to school and pay for it out of their deep deep pockets?
        It's not the costs, but the acceptance standards. When you focus on excellence in sports, it leaves little time for SAT prep. But these aren't just the rich; poorer districts are even more likely to fudge numbers because schoarships are their kids' only shot at a higher education.

        Our district's high school has 22 full-time football coaching staff. A million-dollar professional-grade gym area reserved solely for those on school teams. The football and basketball teams begin full-time training six to eight weeks before school starts.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

          It's not the costs, but the acceptance standards. When you focus on excellence in sports, it leaves little time for SAT prep. But these aren't just the rich; poorer districts are even more likely to fudge numbers because schoarships are their kids' only shot at a higher education.

          Our district's high school has 22 full-time football coaching staff. A million-dollar professional-grade gym area reserved solely for those on school teams. The football and basketball teams begin full-time training six to eight weeks before school starts.
          There are high school football coaches in Texas earning more than the governor and the entire school staff. So there’s that!
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

            There are high school football coaches in Texas earning more than the governor and the entire school staff. So there’s that!
            You ain't kidding.

            High School football is close to being a cult here.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Just watched the evening news and an athletic coach is one of a group of scammer responsibly for faking SAT scores and altering athletic records to get kids into colleges they otherwise weren't qualified for. The costs ran from $15,000 to $40.000 and the coach confessed to taking in $25 million dollars. He specialized in faking athletic profiles to qualify kids for scholarships.

              Two of the college were Stanford and UCLA.
              I'm not surprised at all to find Stanford on the list. They've been known for doing it for decades.
              "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

              "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

              Comment


              • #8
                link
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  link
                  At a press conference Tuesday, U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts Andrew Lelling called the scheme the “largest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice.” Yale, Stanford and Georgetown universities were among the schools identified as having been duped into accepting unqualified applicants.

                  https://news.yahoo.com/collegeentrance-case-ensnares-obama-familys-tennis-instructor-203928293.html
                  "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    link
                    Sorry, HP - I caught it on the fly before it reached the news channel website.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Persephone View Post

                      I'm not surprised at all to find Stanford on the list. They've been known for doing it for decades.
                      Apparently the FBI are not accusing the college administrations of being involved

                      Federal prosecutors in Boston charged William "Rick" Singer, 58, with running the alleged scheme through his company Edge College & Career Network.

                      Mr Singer pleaded guilty on Tuesday in Boston federal court to charges including racketeering, money laundering, and obstruction of justice. He could receive a maximum of 65 years in prison and more than $1m in fines.
                      He's apparently been bribing individual coaches

                      The head women's football coach at Yale University was allegedly paid $400,000 to accept a student who did not even play the sport - and those parents gave Mr Singer $1.2m for arranging the bribe.
                      That's big bucks
                      Last edited by MarkV; 13 Mar 19, 11:42.
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MarkV View Post

                        Apparently the FBI are not accusing the colleges of being involved

                        Yeah, I heard that this morning on NPR. Couldn't believe it. They know that faculty members took bribes -- some of them six figures -- in order to facilitate acceptance of falsified credentials, and if this kind of thing has been going on for a long time, as the US Attorney's statement seems to indicate:

                        At a press conference Tuesday, U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts Andrew Lelling called the scheme the “largest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice.” Yale, Stanford, and Georgetown universities were among the schools identified as having been duped into accepting unqualified applicants.
                        - emphasis mine

                        then why can't those institutions be held responsible for not updating their admissions policies in order to prevent such abuses from being repeated? Looks to me like the prosecutors are going after a few flunkies, and letting the big fish get away. You know, business as usual.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            Apparently the FBI are not accusing the colleges of being involved
                            Course not...that where all the politicians go to school.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                              Apparently the FBI are not accusing the college administrations of being involved
                              Course not...that where all the politicians go to school.
                              Then the big bucks paid by parents to get their kids into those prestigeous schools is rather a sound investment, is it not?
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X