Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Yeah, this is hardly shocking news.
    For decades, Alumni have been getting their kids into the colleges & universities they themselves graduated from. What's the difference, except money?
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post

For decades, Alumni have been getting their kids into the colleges & universities they themselves graduated from. What's the difference, except money?
      None, unless you remember what universities are supposed to be for.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I hate the university system, its the ecclesiastic dogmatic successor of the medieval church, why does my academic record have to be my ultimate and final testament, my judgement!

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
          I hate the university system, its the ecclesiastic dogmatic successor of the medieval church, why does my academic record have to be my ultimate and final testament, my judgement!
          To make Professors rich and to create whole Generations that are in debt to Uncle Sam up to their eyeballs, of course!

Yes, since the Govt guarantees Student loans and has made defaulting on them illegal, they basically own every college grad that took out a loan.
          And you know what that leads to....
          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
            Yes, since the Govt guarantees Student loans and has made defaulting on them illegal, they basically own every college grad that took out a loan.
            Wait until they trade those loans on the open market. And between countries.
            ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
            2) Enjoy playing it
            3) Enjoy sharing it
            4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post

Wait until they trade those loans on the open market. And between countries.
              Since the government is extremely lax when it comes to collection and enforcement, I doubt much of anything will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Since the government is extremely lax when it comes to collection and enforcement, I doubt much of anything will happen.
                Just so people know, you are being sarcastic with that, right?
                You know they turn it over to collection agencies that charge hefty fees and really know how to pile in the interest. Sure, it seems good, for a while, but once you hit your 30s they basically own you.
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Just so people know, you are being sarcastic with that, right?
                  You know they turn it over to collection agencies that charge hefty fees and really know how to pile in the interest. Sure, it seems good, for a while, but once you hit your 30s they basically own you.
                  I know that a sizable percentage of the loans go into default. It's been another of our national scandals for decades - our government in a constant process of writing bad loans.

Percentage of student loans in default

More than 1 million people default on their student loans each year. Nearly 40 percentof borrowers are expected to default on their student loans by 2023. Twenty-two percent of student loan borrowers fall into default

http://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/13/twent...o-default.html
                  The process is flawed because the job market that would allow successful repayment does not exist for many graduates.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I know that a sizable percentage of the loans go into default. ....
                    But you can't declare Bankruptcy and get out of it, they just shelve it for a while and let the interest keep going up.
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

But you can't declare Bankruptcy and get out of it, they just shelve it for a while and let the interest keep going up.
                      Defaults are predicted to double in the next few years. Pile up or not, the money isn't coming in. It just increases the already overwhelming deficit.

It's just another failed and broken system in a long line of similar failures. The high salaried jobs to repay all of those loans just aren't there to begin with.

Comment

Or...the high paying jobs are there but they're not going to university educated US citizens.
                        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                          Or...the high paying jobs are there but they're not going to university educated US citizens.
                          Same thing.

Comment

That's not how corporations work.

Corporate jobs are mainly drone-work. The paper on the wall is for proof of 'the right sort'.

And gaming the system is a crucial skill set, because in a global economy few play by the rules.

There's a good basis to argue that our current system is admirably set up to prepare students for the cut-throat world of business.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

What I meant was that the corporate high paying jobs are not going to US citizens, they're going to university educated, work-visa-'d foreign aliens, hired by companies at wages too low for the university educated, debt burdened US citizen.
                              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

What I meant was that the corporate high paying jobs are not going to US citizens, they're going to university educated, work-visa-'d foreign aliens, hired by companies at wages too low for the university educated, debt burdened US citizen.
                                You have verifiable figures to support that? We don't seem to have a brain drain of our graduates to the US but I guess our grads are probably as debt burdened as yours these days. You may be experiencing the same problem that we do - producing too many graduates with so so degrees from average universities. The high pay jobs are going to people with very good degrees from top universities
                                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X