X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Can Learn A Lot From Dogs...

It's too bad that some people are not as loyal and steadfast as dogs are:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...cid=spartandhp

We have three-two German Shephers and a Siberian Husky, and they are great companions and I prefer their loyal company to many people that I know.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

I can feel that there is a genuine friendship between the dog and his owner.
    I have an adorable pug that loves to play with his drinkwell, splashing water all over the places. He cheers everyone up and tends to be sad when my Mom or brother bid their goodbye as they head home.
    Last edited by 1claire; 21 Mar 19, 20:20.

Comment

Yes, like barking is annoying
      "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

The point of the story I assume was just another human interest article. It is basically what is wrong with the legacy media if you want to actually learn anything. The internet offers the opportunity to have long form discussions but most legacy media articles are structured as if we were still in the sound bite era of information sharing. That said there is nothing wrong with human interests stories or even short articles as there is only so much time in a day and the article style can be a nice diversion or a quick way to keep up with the latest news. General however they are not a good basis for a discussion. Cat videos are a similar form of entertainment that doesn't offer much in the way of stimulating an interesting discussion.

What I found interesting in the OP linked article was the term "emotional intelligence". The author is the Pets Editor at People.com and received a degree from NYU in journalism. There would normally be nothing wrong with seeing the term emotional intelligence in a human interest story because human interests stories don't pretend to be information you can take uncritically. But when you know that are universities are polluted with the ironically ideological antithesis of critical thinking represented by "critical theory" emotional intelligence is a term that raises red flags. NYU is pretty sorely polluted by this mind numbing kind of educational pretense.

One thing you would expect a journalism student to acquire is an appreciation for the definition of words. Unfortunately most journalism schools have been corrupted by post modernism. Definitions in this school of thought are taken to be open to criticism because they are social constructs of the white male patriarchy. This is what I would call a trivial truth. The English language was obviously the product of a white male patriarchy but so were most computer languages and most math. For language to be a useful tool it must be precise which means that the definitions no matter their source must be fixed. If the definitions are open to critical theory then communication becomes impossible which is I suspect the point if your goal is to destroy the "patriarchy".

So what is wrong with the term "emotional intelligence"? It's in the definition of intelligence. Intelligence is the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills. Applying the word emotional in front of intelligence is oxymoronic. You can be intelligent about emotions but emotions by definition cannot be intelligent. Emotions are the physiological changes we experience in response to instincts initiated by some stimuli. That includes but is not limited to changes in brain chemistry. You cannot learn an instinct.

Dogs do have the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills and override their emotions to live with humans. Dogs are thus intelligent. While it is true that without instincts (emotions) as the low level operating system learning would be impossible the functionality of that form of intelligence is so low level that it is not what we general think of as intelligence. The importance of emotions is another trivial truth.

Dog are more reliable than humans because they are more instinctual. Something that cannot be learned cannot be reprogrammed for purpose. It's too bad that journalism students can be reprogrammed to parrot a destructive ideology they do not understand would be the lesson to take away from the article.
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X