Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Won't the FAA Ground the Boeing 737 Max 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

I would hope the decission was made by professionals at the FAA and not by politicians at the White House.
    Me too-but Trump took the credit. I know that's a shocker...

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

From your link;
      "The president added in a second tweet: "I don’t know about you, but I don’t want Albert Einstein to be my pilot. I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!"

How is this BS ?
      Because it is Massena. If Trump had said that Melania makes a great Reuben sandwich made with with brisket of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing on grilled rye, he would accuse Trump of being full of it, a misogynist, an anti-Jew, a pro-Nazi, guilty of colluding with Russians, and too damn fat for eating too many sandwiches instead of sharing them with the poor innocent starving good people held illegally at the southern border.
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Sal did Trump TRY to take the credit?

Have you ever heard another President getting involved in an air safety topic before. Reagan came close with the firing of the PATCO people but that was a bit different.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Because it is Massena. If Trump had said that Melania makes a great Reuben sandwich made with with brisket of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing on grilled rye, he would accuse Trump of being full of it, a misogynist, an anti-Jew, a pro-Nazi, guilty of colluding with Russians, and too damn fat for eating too many sandwiches instead of sharing them with the poor innocent starving good people held illegally at the southern border.
          Why don't you stop the personal attacks because you disagree with someone. You're supposed to be a moderator and not engage in conduct that you might ban someone else for. Either that or give up your moderator status. You're acting like a jackass.

Comment

Well, I'd like to have a big fat manual override button in my cockpit. The way systems are automated and coupled through software today, the overflow of warnings and information may become so abundant that it's almost a receipe for Murphy's Law.
            I seem to remember one occasion in which one engine was overheating or on fire and the pilots shut down the good engine. Speed indicators going haywire, altitude settings forgotten yet influencing behaviour of the aircraft, etc.
            "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Why don't you stop the personal attacks because you disagree with someone. You're supposed to be a moderator and not engage in conduct that you might ban someone else for. Either that or give up your moderator status. You're acting like a jackass.
              You have a serious issue of understanding the rules. I made an observation based on your posting history. You, however are the serial insulter with your constant personal attacks, such as the one highlighted above. As a member first, I am entitled to post anything that I wish that does not violated ACG Staff interpretation of rules. Throwing out the moderator card is a form of Harassment of Staff, and is proscribed with sanctions that may include permanent banishment. You have been told all this before on multiple occasions.

Repeat this behavior again, and the next response will be an official ACG Staff action.
              Last edited by Salinator; 14 Mar 19, 17:11.
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

STFU Kevin

Comment

Hero 'Miracle on the Hudson' pilot blasts 'absurd' lack of training in wake of fatal Ethiopian Airlines crash

Sullenberger said he believed the Ethiopian Airlines crew did everything they could to prevent the accident. The retired pilot pointed out that the first officer on the doomed flight had insufficient hours of flight experience.

“It has been reported that the first officer on that flight had only 200 hours of flight experience, a small fraction of the minimum in the U.S., and an absurdly low amount for someone in the cockpit of a jet airliner,” he wrote.

“We do not yet know what challenges the pilots faced or what they were able to do, but everyone who is entrusted with the lives of passengers and crew by being in a pilot seat of an airliner must be armed with the knowledge, skill, experience, and judgment to be able to handle the unexpected and be the absolute master of the aircraft and all its systems, and of the situation,” Sullenberger continued.

The captain pointed out that “someone with only 200 hours” may not know what to do in an extreme emergency.

“Someone with that low amount of time would have only flown in a closely supervised, sterile training environment, not the challenging and often ambiguous real world of operational flying, would likely never have experienced a serious aircraft malfunction, would have seen only one cycle of the seasons of the year as a pilot, one spring with gusty crosswinds, one summer of thunderstorms,” he wrote.

Sullenberger concluded that airlines “have a corporate obligation not to put pilots in that position of great responsibility before they are able to be fully ready.” The pilot said pilot experience should be a “top priority at every airline” in wake of the recent tragedy.
                  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he...cid=spartandhp
                  TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by Rutger View Post
                    Well, I'd like to have a big fat manual override button in my cockpit. The way systems are automated and coupled through software today, the overflow of warnings and information may become so abundant that it's almost a receipe for Murphy's Law.
                    I seem to remember one occasion in which one engine was overheating or on fire and the pilots shut down the good engine. Speed indicators going haywire, altitude settings forgotten yet influencing behaviour of the aircraft, etc.
                    That's why pilots of these larger and more modern aircraft need more training, than it would seem this crew had.

In looking about various articles yesterday I came across a couple accounts where USA crews had problems with this automatic anti-stall system and basically solved it by turning off the auto-pilot. Thing is one needs enough training to have a clue what to do, and often it needs to be done soon. IIRC, this aircraft was only minutes into it's takeoff so likely may not of had much altitude to work with.
                    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

To those earlier who cast doubt about the planes problems, purely because no American pilots had reported problems:-

As the Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes face airspace bans across the world due to safety fears following two deadly crashes, more news has emerged of pilots struggling to control the aircraft.

Pilots on at least two US flights reported autopilot systems in use on the 737 MAX 8 seemed to cause their planes to tilt downwards and lose altitude suddenly.

The pilot reports were filed last year in a database compiled by Nasa. They are voluntary safety reports and do not publicly reveal the names of pilots, the airlines or the location of the incidents.

In one of the incidents the plane’s captain said immediately after putting the plane on autopilot, the co-pilot called out “Descending,” and there followed by an audio cockpit warning: “Don’t sink, don’t sink!”

The captain immediately disconnected the autopilot and resumed climbing.
                      https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8821101.html
                      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Good to see you Andy H.

Comment

Boeing and Airbus have different philosophy....or used to.

Boeing built planes around the pilot (as you should)
                          Airbus build planes around the computer (as you should not)

In other words, Boeing put the pilot as the ultimate authority whereas Airbus put the computer as the ultimate authority....
                          Which meant that in Boeing the pilot would kill you, in Airbus the computer would kill you.
                          I don't know about you folks, but I rather have a human in the cockpit making the final calls, even if he makes a bad one that ends up with me dead. Not that a computer ends up killing me with a pilot in cockpit fully capable of preventing it if only he could gain control over the plane.

...and yes, POTUS did get this one right when pointing this out, albeit on a forum that doesn't lend itself to any kind of coherent communication. Twitter should be avoided like the plague.

Comment

I'll take it this was your source.
                            https://flightsbyhamilton.wordpress....ing-vs-airbus/
                            "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Originally posted by Rutger View Post
                              No, but a good source. Appreciate the link.

Comment

First official report on the Ethiopian crash suggest that the MCAS system may have been at fault and even though the pilots followed Boeing's instructions on how to rectify the problem they could not regain control
                                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X