Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia first lady handed out cotton to African-American children

Strange article from CNN:

First lady of Virginia Pam Northam handed cotton to young African-American children on a tour of the governor's mansion and asked them to imagine being slaves in the fields, the mother of one of the children alleged.

Leah Dozier Walker, a state employee who is the director of the Office of Equity and Community Engagement at the Virginia Department of Education, wrote to Pam Northam's office on Monday alleging that on a tour for state Senate pages, the first lady spoke in the mansion's kitchen cottage -- where slaves used to work -- and gave black pages, including Walker's eighth grade daughter, pieces of cotton. Walker's daughter has said she did not take the cotton.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/27/polit...ren/index.html

The reaction to this is stupid. She was attempting to teach a lesson. A few years back a living historian (reenactor) got into all sorts of trouble, because when asked by a black student what he would have been in the Civil War the LH replied "most likely a slave," and the kid's mommy went ballistic. More locally, my nephew's favorite Jr. High teacher was suspended for showing a clip of an Al Jolson performance to his class in order to explain black face. Well, the (white) Asst. Principle went berserk, and got him suspended (with full backing of the school board). The excrement really hit the fan, when parents of the students in question (including the one black student in class) themselves went berserk at the school and school board for suspending the teacher! This went national, and even one online British rag covered the story. After several weeks the teacher was re-instated, but the school board remained unapologetic, and said that they would do it again. After the next round of school board elections many of its members, including the woefully idiotic President, were gone. Not sure if the VP is still around though.

Tuebor

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
      Strange article from CNN:

First lady of Virginia Pam Northam handed cotton to young African-American children on a tour of the governor's mansion and asked them to imagine being slaves in the fields, the mother of one of the children alleged.

Leah Dozier Walker, a state employee who is the director of the Office of Equity and Community Engagement at the Virginia Department of Education, wrote to Pam Northam's office on Monday alleging that on a tour for state Senate pages, the first lady spoke in the mansion's kitchen cottage -- where slaves used to work -- and gave black pages, including Walker's eighth grade daughter, pieces of cotton. Walker's daughter has said she did not take the cotton.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/27/polit...ren/index.html
      um wow just wow.

Gonna beat my head against a wall.

btw this is exactly why racism will never be an honest discussion because I have no clue why handing out cotton would be a bad thing to a class in virginia.

Ok I say we exclude history from school someone will always be offended.

Comment

I agree with Tuebor. This is simply a case of stupidity on the part of those hacking on her. Using actual cotton in a lesson on slavery is a good visual and tactile teaching tool, particularly if you have raw cotton from a field with the seeds still in it.
        But, then again whitewashing-- probably an offensive term to the Left and if so, GOOD!-- history is something the Left regularly does. Facts and reality be damned.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          I agree with Tuebor. This is simply a case of stupidity on the part of those hacking on her. Using actual cotton in a lesson on slavery is a good visual and tactile teaching tool, particularly if you have raw cotton from a field with the seeds still in it.
          But, then again whitewashing-- probably an offensive term to the Left and if so, GOOD!-- history is something the Left regularly does. Facts and reality be damned.
          Well this is very ironic given your recent statements on Spike Lee. lol.

My question is why did she only do this to the black kids? If it was anyone else, maybe we could give them the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that she's married to someone who wears black face makes her a little less trustworthy on the matter. She interrupted a guided tour to pull these kids aside and hand specifically the black kids cotton.
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

Well this is very ironic given your recent statements on Spike Lee. lol.

My question is why did she only do this to the black kids? If it was anyone else, maybe we could give them the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that she's married to someone who wears black face makes her a little less trustworthy on the matter. She interrupted a guided tour to pull these kids aside and hand specifically the black kids cotton.
            If indeed she singled out the Black kids, then she deserves a smackdown for it. That would be racist.

Comment

I agree with all of you guys: showing cotton during a history lesson, telling a black child that he most likely would have been a slave during the antebellum period, is nothing more than a candid portrayal of history. I'd have no problem with it.

That being said, given the cloud hanging over THIS governor's head

anything remotely racial -- no matter how innocent in character or intent -- is best left to someone else. That's just a political fact.

And that's why I've come to loathe politics: politics as a process, politics as an aspiration, politics as a filter through which one's every thought must pass before it can be uttered aloud. Thanks to politics, the truly evil became possible, then real, then banal -- and the factual has become our modern standard of evil in action. Only politics can make 2+2=5.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

My question is why did she only do this to the black kids?
                My question is why didn't you read the article?

Was it because you want to show that you comment without knowing the subject?

Was it because your prejudice blinds you to accepting reality?

From the article:

The governor's office disputed that only the African-American children were handed the cotton, saying that the cotton was distributed to everyone in the group as Pam Northam discussed its rough texture. The group was urged to touch and examine a variety of historical items, according to the governor's office.

"No one was singled out," said Ofirah Yheskel, Ralph Northam's communications director, in a statement. "The First Lady's administration has reached out to the mother of the page and has offered to apologize in person but has not heard back. The offer still stands."

Note; the communications director is black

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

My question is why didn't you read the article?

Was it because you want to show that you comment without knowing the subject?

Was it because your prejudice blinds you to accepting reality?

From the article:

The governor's office disputed that only the African-American children were handed the cotton, saying that the cotton was distributed to everyone in the group as Pam Northam discussed its rough texture. The group was urged to touch and examine a variety of historical items, according to the governor's office.

"No one was singled out," said Ofirah Yheskel, Ralph Northam's communications director, in a statement. "The First Lady's administration has reached out to the mother of the page and has offered to apologize in person but has not heard back. The offer still stands."

Note; the communications director is black
                  Then no, it wasn't racist at all. It was a good history lesson.

Comment

Then no, it wasn't racist at all. It was a good history lesson.
                    So why can't spike lee offer history lessons then?
                    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Same reason you can't.....

Comment

Would the lady be in less trouble if she had passed out leafs of Tobacco? I associate Tobacco in Virginia with crops using Slave labor. Louisiana grew several crops mainly tended by Slave Labor: Cotton, Sugar, Perique Tobacco and Rice. After the ACW there were a LOT of Poor White Sharecroppers growing them. One of my Great Grandmothers worked in Cotton Fields.

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

He can. But, that isn't my complaint. It was that he gave one at an awards ceremony for his being a film director. It was inappropriate and wrong for the venue. Of course, it didn't help that his "lesson" was full of mistakes and more of a diatribe than a lesson.

Comment

Same reason you can't....the constant anti-white rhetoric and demonization of whites....not to forget the constant falsification of history.

During Spike Less speech he said whites came to Africa 400 years ago and stole (indicating that the Negroes were property, you can't steal something unless it's someones property) Negroes.

That's a false statement!
                            You see, the Negro kings sold their own people as slaves thus they created the market for Negro slavery. White man did not pick them up in the middle of the night. No, Negro slavery was facilitated by the Negroes themselves, just like white slavery was facilitated by whites themselves.

I understand that blacks are struggling with coming to terms with the FACT that their own people discarded of them and that it doesn't fit very well with their anti-white man narrative.

Comment

She is a white person and therefore she is fundamentally evil. Her existence is evil, her race is the root cause of all things bad.
                              Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                              Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X