Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump, Kim sit for one-on-one nuclear negotiations

Appears to be some good progress:

"I just want to say: I have great respect for Chairman Kim, and I have great respect for his country," Trump told reporters as he sat at a table across from Kim in Hanoi. "And I believe it will be something -- hard to compete with for other countries. It has such potential."

Trump told reporters that "a lot of great ideas" are "being thrown about." He says "when you have a good relationship, a lot of good things happen."

Kim, for his part, said the "whole world" was watching the talks and suggested that, for some, the image of the two "sitting side by side" must resemble "a fantasy movie."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...re-grips-hanoi
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Hard to believe, given the N'orks history, but there has not been a missile launch or a nuclear test from there in about a year and a half.
    Trump hasn't even given anything away.... I wonder what he said to that guy.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Why is Cohen's testimony the big story?
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
        TDS on the TDS channel where it's TDS 24/7

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
          Simple.....he was originally scheduled to appear on Feb 7th. Trump announced the date for his trip on Feb 5th. The left changed Cohen's appearance to go the same time of Trump's summit knowing that the left leaning MSM would cover Cohen in much greater detail than a historic summit that involved Trump. The TDS crowd would be none the wiser because they are spoon fed by the MSM.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Only a Trump could pull this off. A traditional Republican would never do so, and a Democratic president would appear weak and appeasing. If Trump were to get a peace treaty on the Korean peninsula it would have made his election worth the while regardless of anything else.

NPR ran a story on the DPRK on Tuesday. It centered around an Australian student in Pyongyang, but one of the points that were made was that since the last Trump-Kim summit, a lot of the overt Anti-American propaganda (billboards and the like) has been significantly reduced or gone away (in Pyongyang), and people (in Pyongyang) have gone from referring to Trump as "Trump" to "President Trump." The story went on to talk about an increasing amount of consumerism (in Pyongyang), and that Kim, having "got his bomb," is creating a focus shift toward the Chinese method of consumerist dictatorship and attempting to turn around the DPRK economy. While the changes are small, the story saw it as an important paradigm shift in North Korea, and despite the obvious required positive spin they had to put on Kim and the like, I think they may be right.

Tuebor

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
              Only a Trump could pull this off. A traditional Republican would never do so, and a Democratic president would appear weak and appeasing. If Trump were to get a peace treaty on the Korean peninsula it would have made his election worth the while regardless of anything else.

NPR ran a story on the DPRK on Tuesday. It centered around an Australian student in Pyongyang, but one of the points that were made was that since the last Trump-Kim summit, a lot of the overt Anti-American propaganda (billboards and the like) has been significantly reduced or gone away (in Pyongyang), and people (in Pyongyang) have gone from referring to Trump as "Trump" to "President Trump." The story went on to talk about an increasing amount of consumerism (in Pyongyang), and that Kim, having "got his bomb," is creating a focus shift toward the Chinese method of consumerist dictatorship and attempting to turn around the DPRK economy. While the changes are small, the story saw it as an important paradigm shift in North Korea, and despite the obvious required positive spin they had to put on Kim and the like, I think they may be right.

Tuebor
              I will believe it when I see it. That said perhaps Trump is seen as a victim of the same kind of negative media coverage that Kim suffers from. Perhaps they have that in common and it is enough to develop a relationship around. At least they both know they live in a world of enemies on every side and have to be unpredictable as a result.

It's a strange world we live in. When a community organizer is followed by a reality TV host as president I guess anything is possible.
              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Well, the talks were broken off early. Boiled down to "Denuclearization then lift sanctions/Lift sanctions then denuclearization." Nothing precludes further talks. The fact that talks are taking place is a good sign though.

Comment

A good sign of...what? Trump's naivete and lack of experience and diplomatic skill? There was no underlying preparation for this 'summit' and it turns out to be nothing but a failure.
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                    A good sign of...what? Trump's naivete and lack of experience and diplomatic skill? There was no underlying preparation for this 'summit' and it turns out to be nothing but a failure.

Yes, they appear to have failed.
                    Trump walked away rather than make a bad deal just for the sake of appearances.

Now compare this act to Obama and Iran.

I recall when Reagan walked away from a deal with the Soviets. The left and the media went nuts.

I find it interesting that you are more willing to see Trump as the bad guy rather than the NORKs.
                    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Comparing Reagan to Trump is an insult to the former and a great compliment to the latter.

Trump has been kissing Kim's ass for quite some time and he has no idea what he is doing.

Where have I said or implied that the North Koreans in general or Kim in particular is not the bad guy? That is either a deflection or a misrepresentation and I don't expect that type of horse manure from you. I had a much higher opinion of you and didn't expect you to stoop to the conduct of the 'usual suspects.'

Trump is sucking up to a murderous dictator and that implicates him as also being an idiot and an amoral person. He has lowered himself to Kim's level. I find it almost incredulous that Trump didn't sell the US down the river.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

Yes, they appear to have failed.
                        Trump walked away rather than make a bad deal just for the sake of appearances.

Now compare this act to Obama and Iran.

I recall when Reagan walked away from a deal with the Soviets. The left and the media went nuts.

I find it interesting that you are more willing to see Trump as the bad guy rather than the NORKs.
                        I don't think they failed, I think Trump just walked away until Kim makes a deal.

With that in mind, we should remember a few milestones that have occurred in Korea. The two Koreas held talks in 2000 and 2007. Since Trump started pushing, they have held 4 talks culminating in the Panmunjom Declaration:

1. Promote common prosperity and reunification of Korea through dramatic improvement and development of inter-Korean relations
                        • Continue high-level working-level talks for the full implementation and implementation of the agreement
                        • Establishment of Joint Liaison Office in Gaeseong between South and North Korea
                        • Multilateral cooperation and exchange
                        • Inter-Korean Red Cross talks and reunions of separated-families on 15 August 2018
                        • Connecting and modernizing roads with Donghae and Gyeongui railways

2. Elimination of military tension and substantial elimination of war risk
                        • Cease all hostile acts
                        • Designed as a peace zone in the western part of the west coast
                        • Establishment of military mutual guarantee measures through high-rank military-level talks

3. Establishing a permanent and peaceful Korean peninsula peace regime
                        • Inviolable agreement
                        • Stepwise disarmament
                        • In celebration of the 65th anniversary of the Korean Armistice Agreement in 2018, South and North Korea co-operate closely with the US and China to establish a peace treaty on the Korean peninsula after ending the 1953 Korean War.
                        • Finalise the complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panmunjom_Declaration

Also:

North Korea has returned MIAs from the Korean War.

Both Koreas have dismantled observation posts along the DMZ.

The MSM and people suffering from TDS are incapable of acknowledging the progress that has been made in Korea.

Comment

Comparing Reagan to Trump
                          Reagan explained it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjkX_IBYQHw

Comment

Comparing Reagan to Trump is an insult to the former and a great compliment to the latter.

Trump has been kissing Kim's ass for quite some time and he has no idea what he is doing.

Where have I said or implied that the North Koreans in general or Kim in particular is not the bad guy? That is either a deflection or a misrepresentation and I don't expect that type of horse manure from you. I had a much higher opinion of you and didn't expect you to stoop to the conduct of the 'usual suspects.'

Trump is sucking up to a murderous dictator and that implicates him as also being an idiot and an amoral person. He has lowered himself to Kim's level. I find it almost incredulous that Trump didn't sell the US down the river.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp

I never said trump was like reagan. I was comparing the reaction to their walking away from bad agreements

We have been told endlessly by those who hate trump and the media (but I repeat myself) that trump would get outsmarted by Kim.
                            Nothing of the sort has happened and yet the media and those who hate trump are still saying that he did something awful.
                            If he actually did something awful I have to wonder what it is.

Your earlier post made it clear you were linking the failure of the summit to trump's lack of preparation. As a result, I concluded you were finding more fault with trump than with kim. If I misread your post, I regret my error.

The best case scenario would be an agreement that could be enforced. The next best result is trump abruptly ending the summit due to more game playing by the Norks. I believe this sends a message. This nonagreement is far better than anything BO accomplished with our enemies.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

I don't think they failed, I think Trump just walked away until Kim makes a deal.

With that in mind, we should remember a few milestones that have occurred in Korea. The two Koreas held talks in 2000 and 2007. Since Trump started pushing, they have held 4 talks culminating in the Panmunjom Declaration:

1. Promote common prosperity and reunification of Korea through dramatic improvement and development of inter-Korean relations
                              • Continue high-level working-level talks for the full implementation and implementation of the agreement
                              • Establishment of Joint Liaison Office in Gaeseong between South and North Korea
                              • Multilateral cooperation and exchange
                              • Inter-Korean Red Cross talks and reunions of separated-families on 15 August 2018
                              • Connecting and modernizing roads with Donghae and Gyeongui railways

2. Elimination of military tension and substantial elimination of war risk
                              • Cease all hostile acts
                              • Designed as a peace zone in the western part of the west coast
                              • Establishment of military mutual guarantee measures through high-rank military-level talks

3. Establishing a permanent and peaceful Korean peninsula peace regime
                              • Inviolable agreement
                              • Stepwise disarmament
                              • In celebration of the 65th anniversary of the Korean Armistice Agreement in 2018, South and North Korea co-operate closely with the US and China to establish a peace treaty on the Korean peninsula after ending the 1953 Korean War.
                              • Finalise the complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panmunjom_Declaration

Also:

North Korea has returned MIAs from the Korean War.

Both Koreas have dismantled observation posts along the DMZ.

The MSM and people suffering from TDS are incapable of acknowledging the progress that has been made in Korea.

I was unaware of this progress. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as the media goes to such lengths to cast trump in a negative light. Especially given how they portrayed BO and to a lesser extent Hillary

While I don't think the Norks can be trusted, these are positive signs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X