Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump Plays the Race Card...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Who listens to Spike Lee anyway? His movies are 'trendy' but hardly major cash cows.

    All he does is whine, cry, and hate. He's enslaved by his own sense of insecurity and entitlement.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

      All he does is whine, cry, and hate. He's enslaved by his own sense of insecurity and entitlement.
      That's an excellent self-description. Who would have expected you to be so honest?
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

        It didn't "offend" me. It was a meaningless political diatribe at what should have been an apolitical event.

        Lee was wrong on the date of the first slaves. It wasn't 1619 it was 1655. Prior to that persons from Africa, and even Europe came as "Indentured servants" with a set period of service after which they were free.

        He then mentions the "genocide" of "native peoples." While there are some individual cases that might fall into that category, most of the native American tribes were destroyed by war and politics, not some systematic attempt to eradicate them. Many Eastern tribes and those in the Great Lakes region were crushed because they chose the wrong side in wars. For example, the Great Lakes tribes united under Tecumseh and sided with the British in 1812. When the war ended in a draw and the land in the Great Lakes region remained in American control, Tecumseh and his tribes were handled harshly as former enemy combatants just as was the norm for warfare at the time. You lost the war, you lose your land. That went in Europe and elsewhere.
        The Seminole and Apache got stomped on for being hostile and acting as criminals. Even other tribes generally despised them. That wasn't something "Europeans" or "Whites" caused.

        Then Lee ends with a diatribe about 2020 and the election. That's pure politics. That shouldn't have even come up at a friggin' awards ceremony.

        Offended? No. Disgusted? Yes. Like I stated, this is why nobody bothers to watch the Oscars anymore.
        Viewership increased 12% this year. You're starting to make a habit of putting out erroneous information. A lot of your argument revolves around semantics. I don't know what qualifies as genocide to you, but it's beside the point as either way it's still not a racist comment. Discussing American history and politics might politically incorrect and thus disgust you, but that cannot be misconstrued as racism. I recently educated you on the definition of racism, but dictionaries be damned, you still continue to mold it in a way that best suites you.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

        The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
          You're starting to make a habit of putting out erroneous information. A lot of your argument revolves around semantics.
          This is exactly what you do on this forum almost on a daily basis here TactiKill J

          Comment


          • #20
            What I'd like to know is, why is Pres Trump commenting on the Oscars at all, especially about a nonentity like Spike Lee. Doesn't the President have enough to occupy his time -- like trying to preserve and defend the interests of the entire Free World? Shouldn't the President be more constructively engaged, perhaps pursuing the Republic's business, as opposed to watching that four-hour long dog-n-pony show -- which is so manifestly "beneath the presidential dignity" that it shouldn't merit a minute of his attentions? Is Donald Trump the President of the United States, or is he a bored housewife? It's hard to tell, 'cause he more often acts like the latter, rather than the former.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              What I'd like to know is, why is Pres Trump commenting on the Oscars at all
              Okay, I'll bring you up to speed

              CNN wrote about the Democrat Mr Fairfax pulling the race card.....very unusual for CNN to post something like this. I started a thread about that and a little while later this thread was posted....Trump didn't pull a "race card" he did do his usual; BS garbage tweet but not a race card.

              Yet the OP has succeeded in alternate reality posting in an apparent effort to block out CNN saying that a democrat pulled a race card...ÖÖ

              Standing by for a rim shot....

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                What I'd like to know is, why is Pres Trump commenting on the Oscars at all, especially about a nonentity like Spike Lee. Doesn't the President have enough to occupy his time -- like trying to preserve and defend the interests of the entire Free World? Shouldn't the President be more constructively engaged, perhaps pursuing the Republic's business, as opposed to watching that four-hour long dog-n-pony show -- which is so manifestly "beneath the presidential dignity" that it shouldn't merit a minute of his attentions? Is Donald Trump the President of the United States, or is he a bored housewife? It's hard to tell, 'cause he more often acts like the latter, rather than the former.
                Trump the Texas Wrestling connoisseur doesn't bother me in the least. You would make the office high theater and then deny that it is theater. The sober and judicious accouterments of previous presidents are just that the priests robes. Trump is indeed proof that you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

                The elitists had the same opinion of Harry Truman who was just a country bumpkin who didn't know his place. In a way they treated Lincoln the same way. I'm not comparing the leadership qualities of Lincoln with Trump in any way I'm just suggesting that appearances are overrated.

                There are times when people need a father figure but this is not one of those times. At some point I would even hope that the human race grows out of the need to have a pack leader. You can dress it up anyway you want but the "old man" leading his troops out of danger is the instinctual basis for the demand for a "imperially " pompous president. The shallow sophistication of the pundits, celebrities, coastal elites and academics that despise Trump is as repugnant as Trump himself. I rather enjoy how he reflects their hidden venality myself.
                We hunt the hunters

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Nichols View Post

                  Okay, I'll bring you up to speed

                  CNN wrote about the Democrat Mr Fairfax pulling the race card.....very unusual for CNN to post something like this. I started a thread about that and a little while later this thread was posted....Trump didn't pull a "race card" he did do his usual; BS garbage tweet but not a race card.

                  Yet the OP has succeeded in alternate reality posting in an apparent effort to block out CNN saying that a democrat pulled a race card...ÖÖ

                  Standing by for a rim shot....
                  Forget the Spike Lee race nonsense (about which I agree with you, that Trump's critique was not racial in nature -- but I digress) but the President of the United States is both too busy and too dignified to comment about inanities like the Oscars and Spike Lee.

                  At least he should be.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

                    Trump the Texas Wrestling connoisseur doesn't bother me in the least. You would make the office high theater and then deny that it is theater. The sober and judicious accouterments of previous presidents are just that the priests robes. Trump is indeed proof that you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

                    The elitists had the same opinion of Harry Truman who was just a country bumpkin who didn't know his place. In a way they treated Lincoln the same way. I'm not comparing the leadership qualities of Lincoln with Trump in any way I'm just suggesting that appearances are overrated.

                    There are times when people need a father figure but this is not one of those times. At some point I would even hope that the human race grows out of the need to have a pack leader. You can dress it up anyway you want but the "old man" leading his troops out of danger is the instinctual basis for the demand for a "imperially " pompous president. The shallow sophistication of the pundits, celebrities, coastal elites and academics that despise Trump is as repugnant as Trump himself. I rather enjoy how he reflects their hidden venality myself.
                    -- emphasis mine

                    I can buy into everything you said there -- except the highlighted portion, and how it relates to Pres Trump. Trump is a blowhard, a loudmouth, a schoolyard bully. At least Lincoln and Truman, though perhaps unpolished, displayed a clear humility and gentleness, not the invective of a Twitter tough guy. There is absolutely nothing in Trump's background or demeanor that indicates an ability to lead successfully through difficult circumstances. How did Humphry Bogart put it in The Maltese Falcon? "The cheaper the gunman the gaudier the patter." Well, Trump's patter is undeniably gaudy, so one can't be faulted for thinking him the cheapest of gunmen.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

                      Viewership increased 12% this year. You're starting to make a habit of putting out erroneous information. A lot of your argument revolves around semantics. I don't know what qualifies as genocide to you, but it's beside the point as either way it's still not a racist comment. Discussing American history and politics might politically incorrect and thus disgust you, but that cannot be misconstrued as racism. I recently educated you on the definition of racism, but dictionaries be damned, you still continue to mold it in a way that best suites you.
                      But, it's still the second lowest in Oscar history. So, the way you're putting it is lipstick on a pig on that point.

                      https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/2...ngs-on-record/

                      https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/25/host...n-5-years.html

                      My argument doesn't revolve around semantics. Genocide is normally considered the mass murder of a group of people based on some characteristic like race or religion. What I would consider genocide against native Americans would be that he US systematically set out to wipe out or them kill off. That didn't happen. Neither the US military or government, even the American people (of the "European" sort) didn't do that. The Hutu did it to the Tutsi in Rwanda a few decades back. Pol Pot did it in Cambodia on the basis of who was considered an enemy of Communism and "The People." The Nazis did it to various groups, usually most notably Jews.
                      But, the US and America never engaged in a systematic slaughter of natives on some mass scale with the intent of ridding the continent of them. The reservation system alone belies the idea that genocide was ever the intent. So, what I stated was accurate. Spike Lee on the other hand, presented a false version of history that paints Whites as evil by claiming they did commit genocide. That's racist. It's also a lie.
                      Discussing American history and politics on the basis of race while using falsehoods and lies pretty much takes you straight to racism.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Its really crazy when you look at the historic timeline, from Columbus' landing in 1492 to the Beaver wars in 1600s did almost 2/3 of the native American population vanish? The frontier in Kentucky, Ohio and Illinois from 1775 seems to have lasted at the most forty years? The land was already virtually empty of people.

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X