https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/osc...cid=spartandhp

Trump has no idea when to just shutup.

Originally posted by Massena View Post
    Really?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/osc...cid=spartandhp

Trump has no idea when to just shutup.
    How did Trump play the race card?

Comment

Did you watch Spike Lee's acceptance speech? I did just now. I didn't when the Oscars were on because I have no interest in the Oscars.

His two minute + diatribe was a mishmash of ahistorical ranting mixed with implied and overt racism that had nothing to do with his stupid award. And, people in Hollyweird wonder why nobody's watching the Oscars anymore...

Well, it's political rants like that one that have nothing to do with the awards that are driving many people away.

So, Trump was more or less correct in his comments like it or not. But, I agree that he didn't need to comment on it. The plummeting viewership of the Oscars says more than Trump could ever say.

Comment

Trump's holding a race card, a North Korea card, an ISIS card, AND an economy card. Look out, because he has a wall up his sleeve.
        "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Referencing American history is racist now. But calling blacks dumb isn't and people in the republican party wonder why nobody thinks they're moral and decent people.
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
            Referencing American history is racist now. But calling blacks dumb isn't and people in the republican party wonder why nobody thinks they're moral and decent people.
            He didn't reference American history. He referenced a polyglot of semi- and a- historical tripe that the Left in general accepts as their version of history. It's based on opinion, belief, and very short on facts.
            But, even if it were completely accurate, what the hell does any of that have to do with winning an award for your-- YOUR-- ability to direct a movie? That's what he was up there to accept. He wasn't up there to change the world. He wasn't up there to lecture us on history. He wasn't up there to make a political statement. But, that's what he did. In fact, that's damn near all that he did.

And, that's why nobody's watching the Oscars any more-- among other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Did you watch Spike Lee's acceptance speech? I did just now. I didn't when the Oscars were on because I have no interest in the Oscars.

His two minute + diatribe was a mishmash of ahistorical ranting mixed with implied and overt racism that had nothing to do with his stupid award. And, people in Hollyweird wonder why nobody's watching the Oscars anymore...

Well, it's political rants like that one that have nothing to do with the awards that are driving many people away.

So, Trump was more or less correct in his comments like it or not. But, I agree that he didn't need to comment on it. The plummeting viewership of the Oscars says more than Trump could ever say.
              was a pretty good speech and someone other that Trump would of supported it used it as a unifying message but hey Trump is an idiot. Spike has specifically said the same thing and made a point of not pointing Trump out. Within the past two months.

btw incase you did not notice Trumps tweet is racist. assumes x about a race.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

He didn't reference American history. He referenced a polyglot of semi- and a- historical tripe that the Left in general accepts as their version of history. It's based on opinion, belief, and very short on facts.
                But, even if it were completely accurate, what the hell does any of that have to do with winning an award for your-- YOUR-- ability to direct a movie? That's what he was up there to accept. He wasn't up there to change the world. He wasn't up there to lecture us on history. He wasn't up there to make a political statement. But, that's what he did. In fact, that's damn near all that he did.

And, that's why nobody's watching the Oscars any more-- among other reasons.
                Free speech man. He's just trying to tell his story and how far he has come, how you can say that's inaccurate is beyond me. But just because his speech offended you doesn't make it racist.
                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If the left can call Trump racist with very little evidence then Trump can push back with the same claim with little evidence.

Lee

I give praise to our ancestors who have built this country into what it is today along with the genocide of its native people. We all connect with our ancestors. We will have love and wisdom regained, we will regain our humanity.
                  The 2020 presidential election is around the corner. Letís all mobilize. Letís all be on the right side of history. Make the moral choice between love versus hate.
                  You have to consider the context not just the words. The fact that Lee did not mention Trump by name doesn't dispel the implication Lee is making that voting for Trump would be a vote for racial hatred. More importantly considering Lee's political history he is implying that minorities that support Trump are promoting racial hatred.

I can accept that minorities can only be technically racist because of power differentials but in today's world that is a sociological not a political consideration. Politics must be about results not intentions because by definition it is a practical endeavor. While appeals to emotion are appropriate in theater they should be much less so in politics. The evidence on the ground is that Trump has done more for minorities than the democrats. Asking people to vote according to their race is a kind of poison all to common among today's celebrities.

We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

How did Trump play the race card?
                    He called Spike Lee a racist:

'Be nice if Spike Lee could read his notes, or better yet not have to use notes at all, when doing his racist hit on your President, who has done more for African Americans (Criminal Justice Reform, Lowest Unemployment numbers in History, Tax Cuts,etc.) than almost any other Pres!'

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                      The fact that Lee did not mention Trump by name doesn't dispel the implication Lee is making that voting for Trump would be a vote for racial hatred. More importantly considering Lee's political history he is implying that minorities that support Trump are promoting racial hatred.
                      Or simply hatred in general. Trump supporters hate Muslims and homosexuals as well. So I don't think you can automatically assume that he was only referring to race.
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Or simply hatred in general. Trump supporters hate Muslims and homosexuals as well. So I don't think you can automatically assume that he was only referring to race.
                        That doesn't work with the historical reference but it really doesn't matter that much.
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Damn. M is running out of things to attack Trump on.

That's so sad.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

He called Spike Lee a racist:
                            If that is what you call playing the race card, I can see why you are so upset.
                            Trump just stepped on your & Tact-Jr's favorite accusations!

'Be nice if Spike Lee could read his notes, or better yet not have to use notes at all, when doing his racist hit on your President, who has done more for African Americans (Criminal Justice Reform, Lowest Unemployment numbers in History, Tax Cuts,etc.) than almost any other Pres!'
                            Everything said above is true.
                            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Free speech man. He's just trying to tell his story and how far he has come, how you can say that's inaccurate is beyond me. But just because his speech offended you doesn't make it racist.
                              It didn't "offend" me. It was a meaningless political diatribe at what should have been an apolitical event.

Lee was wrong on the date of the first slaves. It wasn't 1619 it was 1655. Prior to that persons from Africa, and even Europe came as "Indentured servants" with a set period of service after which they were free.

He then mentions the "genocide" of "native peoples." While there are some individual cases that might fall into that category, most of the native American tribes were destroyed by war and politics, not some systematic attempt to eradicate them. Many Eastern tribes and those in the Great Lakes region were crushed because they chose the wrong side in wars. For example, the Great Lakes tribes united under Tecumseh and sided with the British in 1812. When the war ended in a draw and the land in the Great Lakes region remained in American control, Tecumseh and his tribes were handled harshly as former enemy combatants just as was the norm for warfare at the time. You lost the war, you lose your land. That went in Europe and elsewhere.
                              The Seminole and Apache got stomped on for being hostile and acting as criminals. Even other tribes generally despised them. That wasn't something "Europeans" or "Whites" caused.

Then Lee ends with a diatribe about 2020 and the election. That's pure politics. That shouldn't have even come up at a friggin' awards ceremony.

Offended? No. Disgusted? Yes. Like I stated, this is why nobody bothers to watch the Oscars anymore.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X