Democrats block abortion bill in Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democrats block abortion bill in Senate

Why don't the democrats want to protect a baby that was born alive after a blotched abortion?????

Senate Democrats blocked legislation on Monday meant to respond to a political firestorm sparked in Virginia over "late-term abortion."

Senators voted 53-44 on the legislation from Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), which needed 60 votes to advance.

Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin (W.Va.), Doug Jones (Ala.) and Bob CaseyJr. (Pa.) voted to proceed to the bill. The legislation would penalize doctors who fail to "exercise the proper degree of care in the case of a child who survives an abortion or attempted abortion."

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) touted the bill ahead of Monday night’s vote, where it was widely expected to fall short, urging Democrats to reject “extreme voices” within their own party.

“It isn’t about new restrictions on abortion. It isn’t about changing the options available to women. It’s just about recognizing that a newborn baby is a newborn baby. Period,” he said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...bill-in-senate
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

[
    QUOTE=Nichols
    ;n5099682
    ]Why don't the democrats want to protect a baby that was born alive after a blotched abortion?????

Senate Democrats blocked legislation on Monday meant to respond to a political firestorm sparked in Virginia over "late-term abortion."

Senators voted 53-44 on the legislation from Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), which needed 60 votes to advance.

Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin (W
    .Va.), Doug Jones (Ala.) and Bob
    Casey

Jr. (Pa.) voted to proceed to the bill. The legislation would penalize doctors who fail to "exercise the proper
    degree of care
    in the case of a child who survives an abortion or attempted abortion."

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) touted the bill ahead of Monday
    night’s vote, where it
    was widely expected to fall short, urging Democrats to reject “extreme voices” within their own party.

“It
    isn’t about new restrictions on abortion. It
    isn’t about changing the options available to women.
    It’s just about recognizing that a newborn baby is a newborn baby. Period
    ,” he said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/..
    .bill-in-senate

[/QUOTE]

This falls under the same umbrella as gun rights. People believe if you give an inch, it's over.
    Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

Anthrax, generally PWI doesn't work.

You are saying the right to defend oneself is the same umbrella as killing a living baby....
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
        Anthrax, generally PWI doesn't work.

You are saying the right to defend oneself is the same umbrella as killing a living baby....

If saving a living new born is “giving” an inch, would the same logic apply to providing medical care to a a one month old? Or to a 5 year old?
        Be glad they have shown where they stand on this issue.
        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

If saving a living new born is “giving” an inch, would the same logic apply to providing medical care to a a one month old? Or to a 5 year old?
          Be glad they have shown where they stand on this issue.
          Where the Democrats always stand - against everything but what they want.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Where the Democrats always stand - against everything but what they want.

The weird thing, to me at least, is that this doesn't touch on their core belief. "My body, my choice".

They could have supported this measure without fear that it would be inconsistent with "my body, my choice".

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

The weird thing, to me at least, is that this doesn't touch on their core belief. "My body, my choice".

They could have supported this measure without fear that it would be inconsistent with "my body, my choice".
              Yes, they could have. So why didn't they? Strange things going on in Washington these days.

Comment

Even though I'm pro choice I think every abortion is a tragedy.
                When someone tells me that it's a women's issue I point out that pregnancy is for 9 months but parenthood is for life and both men and women are parents.
                When someone tells me that a 15 year old should have the right to decide if she becomes a mother I ask them if a 15 year old boy should have the right to decide if he becomes a father.
                It's a complex issue and I find the extremists on both sides equally irrational but the discussion inevitably seems to be drawn to the extremes.
                This seems to be the case here.
                "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                  When someone tells me that it's a women's issue I point out that pregnancy is for 9 months but parenthood is for life and both men and women are parents.
                  When someone tells me that a 15 year old should have the right to decide if she becomes a mother I ask them if a 15 year old boy should have the right to decide if he becomes a father.
                  It's a complex issue and I find the extremists on both sides equally irrational but the discussion inevitably seems to be drawn to the extremes.
                  Not so long ago boys cold marry at 15 -16 and girls at 13 with parental consent in states like Georgia. People grew up faster in the old days - they had to.

I'm guessing that a lot of the old attitudes remain. I agree with you that irrationality is the mark of the arguments these days, rather than any practical or moral stance.

Comment

It reveals that they never were about "what a woman wants to do with her own body". That was a lie. This truly was about being pro infanticide all along.
                    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

I agree completely.
                      It is sad to see how far things have gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post

It reveals that they never were about "what a woman wants to do with her own body". That was a lie. This truly was about being pro infanticide all along.

It is still surprising they would now be so open about it.

The claim it is about "choice" no longer applies in this instance.

Comment

Can we make this post birth abortion retroactive and apply to these Democrat Senators ???

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                            Can we make this post birth abortion retroactive and apply to these Democrat Senators ???
                            It'd be easier to legalize euthanasia of the brain dead. We could do the entirety of Congress that way!

Comment

It is still surprising they would now be so open about it.

The claim it is about "choice" no longer applies in this instance.
                              It really seems that they are trying to guarantee Trump a second term. There seems to be a lot of pro abortion people that have a problem with this.

Comment

Working...
                              X