X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardinal Pell convicted of child abuse in Australia:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      Go to the police. And I would be in agreement with treating church malfeasance by shuffling priests when a criminal complaint is made as a conspiracy to obstruct justice. Start arresting bishops and cardinals for shuffling
      We are in complete agreement.
      But the Pope recommendation was for the church to carry out investigations,
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
      Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

How local authorities deal with the Roman catholic church would vary greatly depending on the local . I would imagine years ago the catholic church was more powerful in Boston than say Atlanta.

I would be angry if my local district atttorney didn't prosecute a child molester. I don't care if they are a priest, rabbi, imam or shaman.

Talking to older men who grew up catholic, I have often been told that when they were young they wouldn't imagine going to their parents to report a priest.
        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
          How local authorities deal with the Roman catholic church would vary greatly depending on the local . I would imagine years ago the catholic church was more powerful in Boston than say Atlanta.

I would be angry if my local district atttorney didn't prosecute a child molester. I don't care if they are a priest, rabbi, imam or shaman.

Talking to older men who grew up catholic, I have often been told that when they were young they wouldn't imagine going to their parents to report a priest.
          The Boy Scouts has had similar scandals, we saw it at Penn. State, it happens all the time in Colleges and Universities, sexual predators are just that, predators, if you hunt predators you learn quickly to watch who they prey on,.
          In cases involving those who prey on children, the obvious answer is those who gain the trust of the victim and the parents, and being a priest or a teacher gives leverage to the predator, threats to the victims are as one would expect with the added authority of God himself.
          So getting children to report them isn’t easy.
          Whether it the church, a university or a youth organization, if the organization itself tries to deal with it internally, protecting the organization becomes the priority.
          Last edited by Urban hermit; 26 Feb 19, 09:55.
          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

The Boy Scouts has had similar scandals, we saw it at Penn. State, it happens all the time in Colleges and Universities, sexual predators are just that, predators, if you hunt predators you learn quickly to watch who they prey on,.
            In cases involving those who prey on children, the obvious answer is those who gain the trust of the victim and the parents, and being a priest or a teacher gives leverage to the predator, threats to the victims are as one would expect with the added authority of God himself.
            So getting children to report them isn’t easy.
            Whether it the church, a university or a youth organization, if the organization itself tries to deal with it internally, protecting the organization becomes the priority.
            It's not just a sin, it's a major felony...two, in fact. Sexual molestation of a child and betrayal of a position of trust.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

It is rare I agree with Urban Hermit but on this I agree with every word
              "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
              validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
              "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Double posting
                "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

I think the current pope wants to do the right thing but he's just finding out how widespread the problem really is and how many powerful enemies he now has. Not that that's any excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                    I think the current pope wants to do the right thing but he's just finding out how widespread the problem really is and how many powerful enemies he now has. Not that that's any excuse...
                    And yet he was a bishop for years before he became pope...

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

Good point...

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                        Cardinal Pell convicted of child abuse in Australia:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp
                        Indeed he has.

A very sad situation all round, but at least it shows that nobody is above the law here.
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It's not just a sin, it's a major felony...two, in fact. Sexual molestation of a child and betrayal of a position of trust.
                          Absolutely true, but now we are learning that sexual abuse of nuns has been going on for years and has been swept under the rug as well.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

Well, you don’t become a Pope without being a Bishop, and honestly the only way for the Church to save itself (IMO) is from the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                              I agree, Let’s not forget the circumstances under which this man became the Pope,
                              There are actually two living Popes right now and that is highly unusual.

Comment

Interestingly the Australian Cardinal was tried in secrecy,

Rather hard to be transparent when trials are carried out in secrecy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X