X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Interestingly the Australian Cardinal was tried in secrecy,

Rather hard to be transparent when trials are carried out in secrecy.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by johns624 View Post
    I think the current pope wants to do the right thing but he's just finding out how widespread the problem really is and how many powerful enemies he now has. Not that that's any excuse...
    I agree, Letís not forget the circumstances under which this man became the Pope,
    There are actually two living Popes right now and that is highly unusual.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

And yet he was a bishop for years before he became pope...
    Well, you donít become a Pope without being a Bishop, and honestly the only way for the Church to save itself (IMO) is from the inside.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It's not just a sin, it's a major felony...two, in fact. Sexual molestation of a child and betrayal of a position of trust.
    Absolutely true, but now we are learning that sexual abuse of nuns has been going on for years and has been swept under the rug as well.

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    Cardinal Pell convicted of child abuse in Australia:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp
    Indeed he has.

A very sad situation all round, but at least it shows that nobody is above the law here.

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

Good point...

Leave a comment:

• E.D. Morel
    replied
    Originally posted by johns624 View Post
    I think the current pope wants to do the right thing but he's just finding out how widespread the problem really is and how many powerful enemies he now has. Not that that's any excuse...

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied

Leave a comment:

• E.D. Morel
    replied
    Double posting

Leave a comment:

• E.D. Morel
    replied
    It is rare I agree with Urban Hermit but on this I agree with every word

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

The Boy Scouts has had similar scandals, we saw it at Penn. State, it happens all the time in Colleges and Universities, sexual predators are just that, predators, if you hunt predators you learn quickly to watch who they prey on,.
    In cases involving those who prey on children, the obvious answer is those who gain the trust of the victim and the parents, and being a priest or a teacher gives leverage to the predator, threats to the victims are as one would expect with the added authority of God himself.
    So getting children to report them isnít easy.
    Whether it the church, a university or a youth organization, if the organization itself tries to deal with it internally, protecting the organization becomes the priority.
    It's not just a sin, it's a major felony...two, in fact. Sexual molestation of a child and betrayal of a position of trust.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
    How local authorities deal with the Roman catholic church would vary greatly depending on the local . I would imagine years ago the catholic church was more powerful in Boston than say Atlanta.

I would be angry if my local district atttorney didn't prosecute a child molester. I don't care if they are a priest, rabbi, imam or shaman.

Talking to older men who grew up catholic, I have often been told that when they were young they wouldn't imagine going to their parents to report a priest.
    The Boy Scouts has had similar scandals, we saw it at Penn. State, it happens all the time in Colleges and Universities, sexual predators are just that, predators, if you hunt predators you learn quickly to watch who they prey on,.
    In cases involving those who prey on children, the obvious answer is those who gain the trust of the victim and the parents, and being a priest or a teacher gives leverage to the predator, threats to the victims are as one would expect with the added authority of God himself.
    So getting children to report them isnít easy.
    Whether it the church, a university or a youth organization, if the organization itself tries to deal with it internally, protecting the organization becomes the priority.
    Last edited by Urban hermit; 26 Feb 19, 09:55.

Leave a comment:

• 17thfabn
    replied
    How local authorities deal with the Roman catholic church would vary greatly depending on the local . I would imagine years ago the catholic church was more powerful in Boston than say Atlanta.

I would be angry if my local district atttorney didn't prosecute a child molester. I don't care if they are a priest, rabbi, imam or shaman.

Talking to older men who grew up catholic, I have often been told that when they were young they wouldn't imagine going to their parents to report a priest.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    Go to the police. And I would be in agreement with treating church malfeasance by shuffling priests when a criminal complaint is made as a conspiracy to obstruct justice. Start arresting bishops and cardinals for shuffling
    We are in complete agreement.
    But the Pope recommendation was for the church to carry out investigations,

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied
    Cardinal Pell convicted of child abuse in Australia:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X