Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another stupid Senate rule is going down in flames.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another stupid Senate rule is going down in flames.

I was previously unaware of this rule, but it seems to have grown in importance with the gulf between the Leftist Democrats and everybody else growing wider.

The rule for judicial picks was that the candidate needed a "blue slip" from their home state senator(s) to get appointed. Seems some of Trump's picks, while fully qualified and competent aren't getting these because both of their home state senators are on the Left in the Democrat party. One was from Oregon, the one in this article is from Washington state.

Murray first announced late last year that she wouldn't return her blue slip for Miller, arguing that Republicans were trying to place "extreme conservatives" on the court.

"This needs to end. So I am not going to be complicit in this latest rushed process to load the courts with Trump nominees in the lame duck session and I will not be returning the blue slip that signals my approval of this process," Murray said in a statement at the time.

The blue-slip rule - a precedent upheld by Senate tradition - has historically allowed a home-state senator to stop a lower-court nominee by refusing to return the blue slip to the Judiciary Committee.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Now, I have no idea why such an idiot rule has even been applied. Judges on the federal bench don't work for a particular state. They don't preside over a particular state.

As far as I can tell, this is a purely political issue and move today-- And one so far used exclusively by the Democrats to block otherwise perfectly acceptable candidates based solely on their political leanings. As you can see in the quote one of those senators openly admits that she is doing it solely for political reasons. (Note: an "extreme conservative" to senator Murray is anyone not themselves on the Left).

Murray is a long time member of the Senate, the 6th most senior Democrat and considered one of the most reliable in terms of voting record. On the Kavanaugh hearings she said that "...people should believe women when they make claims of sexual assault..."

Outside of being a senator, her previous employment included working at a convenience store, teaching a class on parenting at a community college, and a BA in PE (physical education).

Anyway, as anyone should be able to plainly see, her being able to simply stall a nomination because the judge comes from her state is an absurdity that could only possibly be found in Congress.

The rule has been around for a long time. I remember a case at the beginning of the Civil War when the Tax Collector at the Port of New Orleans sent to Washington a bill for his salary after the Louisiana State Government seized the bank account of the Port of New Orleans. He was sent a check drawn on the Port of New Orleans account at a New Orleans Bank. A Smart politician hires some people to advise the new President on the rules and what is customary.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      The rule has been around for a long time. I remember a case at the beginning of the Civil War when the Tax Collector at the Port of New Orleans sent to Washington a bill for his salary after the Louisiana State Government seized the bank account of the Port of New Orleans. He was sent a check drawn on the Port of New Orleans account at a New Orleans Bank. A Smart politician hires some people to advise the new President on the rules and what is customary.

Pruitt
      None of that changes that it's stupid. An appeal to tradition doesn't make it less stupid either.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        A Smart politician hires some people to advise the new President on the rules and what is customary.

Pruitt
        I think they did.

This sort of thing does not make the Democrats look good. The DNC is building its reputation as the party which wants nothing to change or be improved, which clashes with their leftist platform.

There's plenty of conservative judges in red states, and now Trump & the GOP have a reason why they are appointing judges from their states. After all, it is the Senate which chooses.

This is just another example of the DNC operating in purely reactive mode.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          I

Murray is a long time member of the Senate, the 6th most senior Democrat and considered one of the most reliable in terms of voting record. On the Kavanaugh hearings she said that "...people should believe women when they make claims of sexual assault..."

Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X